Wiki Posts
Search

Lipo storage in the fridge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Lipo storage in the fridge?

I've read about some people storing their lipos in the refrigerator. Anybody do this? I was thinking about charging all my lipos with storage mode on my charger and keeping them in a lipo sack in fridge in the basement for increased longevity.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

No.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Socket
No.
not next to the mayo or mustard ?
Old 03-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (80%+)

you must have read my mind I have been thinking about posting the same question
The temprature in my garage would average around 70-115 f between winter and summer.
So i am wondering if i would get some extra life out of my lipos by storing them in the fridge.
I have concerns about the humidity that may be present and if storing them at 35 f may be to low (Beer fridge)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would at least keep them in the house and not the garage. I would imagine the extended exposure to 115 degrees in the summer months would wreak havoc on the cells. I always heard it was good to keep alkaline batteries in the fridge, just done kbow about lipos...
Old 03-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

I remember reading a thread where somebody had posted info about lipo storage at full charge vs storage charge and at what temp from 40f on up. It showed the best capacity over time when stored at 40.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sbv20j
you must have read my mind I have been thinking about posting the same question
The temprature in my garage would average around 70-115 f between winter and summer.
So i am wondering if i would get some extra life out of my lipos by storing them in the fridge.
I have concerns about the humidity that may be present and if storing them at 35 f may be to low (Beer fridge)
The humidity in the fridge would be low. The humidity you see when opening the fridge is from the outside air.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn
The humidity in the fridge would be low. The humidity you see when opening the fridge is from the outside air.
humidity is not a problem, you probably want to seal them in those plastic sealed bag anyways, to prevent incidents (i.e. battery small like bacon? sounds nice though).

Basically the thing is, even for regular NiMH battery, the warmer the temperature is, the faster it will loose its charge, even if it's not being actively discharged.
You don't want to put it in somewhere too cold either.

It will really damage the battery when it's over-discharged (drop below 2V per cell), and since it's storage, it will be there loosing its charge for a long while. That's why you may want to store it in your fridge, keeping it cool at around 5°C. So it can keep loosing its charge slowly, without reason critical low voltage.

*They say the best storage voltage is around 3.8v per cell, I guess it's for some other chemical reason. But that's not that critical.

Lithium-Ion

The possible storage temperature range for Lithium-Ion batteries is is -20°C to 60°C but for prolonged storage period -20°C to 25°C is recommended and 15°C is ideal. Cells should be stored with a partial charge of between 30% and 50%. Although the cells can be stored fully discharged the cell voltage should not drop below 2.0 Volts per cell and cells should be topped up to prevent over-discharge. The maximum voltage should not exceed 4.1 Volts
Old 03-25-2015, 04:16 AM
Tech Champion

It can help, especially if the alternative is a hot garage. Be sure to use a sealed container to limit condensation, and let the packs warm up fully before charging. Lipos don't like a full charge when cold, and don't perform well cold.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Keep them in the house on the mantle like I do so it also drives your wife nuts. LOL
Old 03-25-2015, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I've heard of this before and I used to do it when I wouldn't be running for a while. Just make sure that you allow them to return to room temperature before charging.

This may make get more feedback in the radio/electronics section.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I would never store a lipo in the fridge. Room temperature is best. And as long as you leave them around 7.2-7.6 volts, it will take a LONG time for them to drop on their own. I have had lipos sitting around for a half year that didn't really lose much voltage over that time frame. If worried, just give them a charge/discharge back to ~7.5ish ever couple months.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Coming from air planes...back a few years ago, storing in the fridge was talked about. I have been storing mine in the fridge since 2007.......
And will keep doing so........

Last edited by 18to88; 03-26-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I go one further than storing in the refrigerator: I store my off-season batteries in my home freezer.

I found this article one day many years ago: http://www.tmenet.com/pdf/LithiumBatterySecrets.doc.pdf

It essentially advised the colder the better to reduce deterioration. It pointed out that even the temperature in a home freezer is not cold enough to freeze the electrolyte in a lithium battery but will reduce the long term deterioration.

I had recently purchased some 4S packs from ProMatch so I emailed Jeff (Promatch owner) with the link and the question about freezer storage. he said it was fine. I have some packs that have spent 3 winters a=in the freezer and are still fine.

I wrap the packs in bubble wrap and put them in a sealed ziploc with a dessicant pack and put them in the freezer at 3.8V/cell. When spring comes I take them out and leave them in the sealed bags for a few days while they slowly warm to room temperature.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you're looking to maximize the usable capacity of the batteries over a long period of time, then storing them in a refrigerator at storage voltage is the way to go.

The wife wouldn't go for it, so I did the next best thing...my basement.

Storing them in your trunk, detached garage, shed, etc in summer (any place it gets hot) is about the worst thing you can do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.