Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Another "noob" question on lipo batteries >

Another "noob" question on lipo batteries

Another "noob" question on lipo batteries

Old 03-23-2015, 04:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Another "noob" question on lipo batteries

How do I choose the right amount of MaH for my Yeti XL 1/8 scale? It requires 2, 2S 25c lipos minimum. If MaH is the amount of "fuel" the battery holds, why doesnt everyone use the 10000MaH lipo? I know its not that simple, so what am I missing?
Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BrandonB75
How do I choose the right amount of MaH for my Yeti XL 1/8 scale? It requires 2, 2S 25c lipos minimum. If MaH is the amount of "fuel" the battery holds, why doesnt everyone use the 10000MaH lipo? I know its not that simple, so what am I missing?
Size, weight, application in particular. There are many things to consider and so you should search these forums for LIPO questions as they've all been asked before and there is a wealth of knowledge available without repeating it here.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

did that, couldnt find the specific info I am looking for re: 1/8 svale dual battery use. I know theres a search function. If noob questions bother you, skip those posts please.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It's not about noob questions bothering me. It's that the same or similar questions are asked almost on a weekly basis.

Anyway there are many reasons why we don't all use 10000mah packs. Mainly because they just aren't needed. Those packs are way bigger and heavier than an equivalent 6000-7000 pack much more expensive.

You'll get at least 10 minutes out a pair of 7000 packs on that car and you should bear in mind that brushless motors and esc's don't really appreciate being run for very long periods before cooling down. So a ten minute run followed by a cool down and change of packs is a good idea.

You could probably almost get 4x 6000 packs for the price of 2x 10000 packs. I'm not even sure a 10000 pack would fit your car. I've never seen a hard case 10000 pack either and you should only use hard case packs in cars anyway.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

exactly the info I was looking for and couldnt find. Thank you for explaining. I understand the same questions tend to be repeated, but I was having trouble finding info with regards to the large cars/trucks requiring 2 battery packs. Im still working out the math (with formulas found via searching the forum!) and how they affect power output and runtime etc.