Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Hobbywing V3.1 vs SMC RF160 >

Hobbywing V3.1 vs SMC RF160

Hobbywing V3.1 vs SMC RF160

Old 01-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Hobbywing V3.1 vs SMC RF160

Hey there guys, I am currently racing with a Viper VTX10R and Viper VST 7.5t, and I just odn't like how the viper dosn't have the inital hit aka (Low end punch) I turned it up all the way and epa, and with the program box for the sc, but this viper feels weird. I was going down the straight with another 2wd buggy same gearing (Because I asked him after his run) and he had the same motor turn...7.5t, but was using a Hobbywing V3.1 and a Hobbywing motor 7.5t and passed me as if I where to let of the gas...very weird so I just want to switch esc and lipos also. So if you guys could help me out, I would want to race at the sponsored level for them also. The two I looked at the most where the Hobbywing and SMC, both look good and seem to do well I just need more info from you guys to see which is the best for me and also which has the best team support and warranty? So I want the best opinions here so I can make the right desicion and not have to worry about anything down the line. Thanks a lot guys!

Last edited by TheRcworld101; 01-17-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 01-17-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Both are good speedos but so is the viper. Viper motors though are not the best (though the new ones look good). I think I would try a different motor before giving up on the speedo.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:44 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Oops, just realized you're running mod. For mod, that motor should also be fine. Are you running blinky or boosted? The speed and punch are all in the timing settings. Work on that first.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I honestly would dive in for SMC, that monster of an ESC costs just $149!?!? They are nothing but good news.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have the same experience with viper, hobbywing and tekin. (1/8 scale) Except i have used all 3 in the same car and same motor. The hobbywing esc allows me to clear jumps not posible with the viper. The viper is just a weird esc.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've used HW 3.1 ESC but not the SMC. Yes the HW is a few dollars more, but you are going to get support with them as they are the manufacturer. SMC may provide support also, but they just are as present on the forums. HW is a great ESC

You said you were looking at sponsorship, but I'm almost certain that SMC doesn't offer sponsorship. HW does of course.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:03 PM
Tech Rookie

I was divided between the two and just placed an order for the SMC RF160. The price with the program box was pretty hard to beat.