Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod >

HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod

HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod

Old 01-16-2015, 04:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Default HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod

Hey, All! I just completed a small mod to my (3) GTX3 radios' power buttons and thought I'd share it here in case anyone else is interested.

I absolutely LOVE these radios. Cheap, reliable, hackable firmware, cheap, fully featured, cheap...oh yeah, and cheap!

OK, so that's all the great news, but now for THE biggest problem with these radios, in my opinion...the power button that ALWAYS manages to get pushed while it's in the toolbox/bag and the dead batteries that result. It seems like no matter how I position/pad/prop the radio it still winds up getting turned on at some point.

I thought about adding a toggle switch somewhere, but it's not a bad looking radio and I just couldn't find a place I was happy with and I didn't really want to alter the case anyway.

Next I considered trying to change the wheel over to the Flysky version with the power button, but those have issues of their own...

While I was looking around my disassembled radio, I pulled the power button off thinking I'd just have to get used to reaching in with my pinky to push the switch and just try to hang on to the buttons to reinstall later. That's when I saw it...the slot where the button slips over the switch post is deep, REALLY deep. Deep enough to cut it back so that the button is almost flush with the outside of the case when Off and still easily reachable when On.

OK, here goes......

Using a small flat blade screwdriver, pry gently at the top of the button to pull it out. (No need to disassemble the radio like I did on the first one.)

Button Top View - Before
HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod-20150116_052041.jpg
Trim the part of the button that's stepped-back all the way to the line visible in the picture. This is so that the button doesn't hit the circuit board when pushed.

Button Side View - Before
HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod-20150116_052055.jpg
Again here you can see the line to trim the top of the button back to. Next trim the socket that slips over the button shaft all the way down to where the slot ends.

Button Side View - After
HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod-20150116_052538.jpg
It should look like this when you're done.

Power Off - After
HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod-20150116_052715.jpg
Power switch is off...no way to bump the button and turn it on...woohoo!

Power On - After
HobbyKing GTX3 Radio - Simple Power Button Mod-20150116_052740.jpg
Power switch is on...still readily accessible!

A simple, quick mod that makes a great radio just a little bit better.