Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Wiring up sensored brushless - does it matter how the 3 wires are connected ? >

Wiring up sensored brushless - does it matter how the 3 wires are connected ?

Like Tree1Likes

Wiring up sensored brushless - does it matter how the 3 wires are connected ?

Old 12-10-2014, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default Wiring up sensored brushless - does it matter how the 3 wires are connected ?

I have a sensored brushless motor but the 3 wires have no A/B/C markings nor descriptive colors.

When I connect them one random way, the motor just shivers and doesn't actually rotate.
Swap 2 wires and presto, it works like a charm.

But - does the fact that it works mean it's connected correctly and the ESC is getting the correct sensor-data ? Or is it possible to wire it up in a way that the motor does seem to work correctly but stuff like ESC Timing doesn't work correctly ?
Old 12-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pygmy View Post
I have a sensored brushless motor but the 3 wires have no A/B/C markings nor descriptive colors.

When I connect them one random way, the motor just shivers and doesn't actually rotate.
Swap 2 wires and presto, it works like a charm.

But - does the fact that it works mean it's connected correctly and the ESC is getting the correct sensor-data ? Or is it possible to wire it up in a way that the motor does seem to work correctly but stuff like ESC Timing doesn't work correctly ?
Yes.
The brushless motor uses only one of the three hall sensors.
The second and third are redundant or use as a backup.

You can switch A and C to reverse rotation on the motor.
If the sensor wire is disconnected then the ESC will go into sensorless mode.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, cheers.
But there is a wrong way to connect it, right ?
With my first (random) connection the motor was just shaking when throttle was applied but it wouldn't rotate.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

If the ESC is for sensored RC motors only, then there is only one way to connect the motor correctly. All other ways will not work.

All of the sensor signals are used by a sensored ESC.

Do NOT attempt to swap any wires to get reverse motor rotation with a sensored ESC.
Losiracer12 likes this.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

To add to what Howard said, if you have the sensor wire connected, you have to have the wires connected is the correct order. Otherwise, the sensor, detects the rotor is in a specific rotation and fires the magnets that would "pull" the rotor. If the wires are mixed, up it might be firing the magnets that are both forward and backward from the rotation and not go anywhere. This is exactly what you found out.

Here's a good article that explains the basics: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1344
Old 01-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GerryH View Post
To add to what Howard said, if you have the sensor wire connected, you have to have the wires connected is the correct order. Otherwise, the sensor, detects the rotor is in a specific rotation and fires the magnets that would "pull" the rotor. If the wires are mixed, up it might be firing the magnets that are both forward and backward from the rotation and not go anywhere. This is exactly what you found out.

Here's a good article that explains the basics: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1344
Good article, sense we're talking wires here I thought this might be a good conversation to ask one of my own. If you where to take say a 150mm sensor wire and cut it down and resoder it to 100 or 90mm would it interfere with the sensor wires ability or efficiency required for optimal performance?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:57 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Mr RCTech View Post
Yes.
The brushless motor uses only one of the three hall sensors.
The second and third are redundant or use as a backup.

You can switch A and C to reverse rotation on the motor.
If the sensor wire is disconnected then the ESC will go into sensorless mode.
Compleetly wrong information.... All sensors are needed to read the position of the rotor and give a feedback to the ESC so it can adjust the controll to optimise power and power consumption. With a sensored system you can not change wires, there is only one right way to connect.
With a sensorless system you can swap all the wires you want.
Old 01-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JP4D View Post
Good article, sense we're talking wires here I thought this might be a good conversation to ask one of my own. If you where to take say a 150mm sensor wire and cut it down and resoder it to 100 or 90mm would it interfere with the sensor wires ability or efficiency required for optimal performance?
The wires on a sensor wire are so small it's difficult to solder and very easy to screw up. They are very inexpensive and buying a smaller one and keeping the longer as a backup would be a good idea.
Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Lord

It can be done....

Old 01-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BrandonBreh View Post
The wires on a sensor wire are so small it's difficult to solder and very easy to screw up. They are very inexpensive and buying a smaller one and keeping the longer as a backup would be a good idea.
I've got one one the way that's a more practical for my car, thanks for the forewarning Brandon.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:26 PM
jko
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Resurrecting this old thread. Do the motors all have the same a/b/c wires in the same order across brands? Asking to see if there's a way to tell the correct ordering to wire things up. Or is it just trial and error?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jko View Post
Resurrecting this old thread. Do the motors all have the same a/b/c wires in the same order across brands? Asking to see if there's a way to tell the correct ordering to wire things up. Or is it just trial and error?
Motors have labels indicating which one is which.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Old 08-05-2020, 07:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Every motor I've seen, when looking at the endbell are ABC. The only exception was some Speedpassion motors that had bullet connectors for each phase equally spaced out. And when you think about it, it makes sense. They are always in this order because there is only one rotational direction that's correct for a sensored motor: ABCABC...

ESCs on the other hand can be either ABC or CBA. There also isn't a standard on wire color. Ask me how I found that out
Old 08-07-2020, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Most ESC’s have a mode that changes the motors direction..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.