Can't discharge lipo to dispose

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can't discharge lipo to dispose

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

Forgot to mention I like the amber bulbs. Less obnoxious to the eyes. Think they have an A after the number if I remember correctly. 1157A
Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dave H
Forgot to mention I like the amber bulbs. Less obnoxious to the eyes. Think they have an A after the number if I remember correctly. 1157A
Thanks again! I plan on putting in the part of my backyard (where I hopefully will be building a track) away from the kids and dog so it shouldn't annoy anyone

Which is funny, my wife said it's okay if I build a track in the backyard as long as it doesn't look cheap...does that mean she's giving me permission to go all out? I'm thinking so.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Don't throw it in the trash. Lithium is pretty nasty stuff and doesn't need to be in a landfill. Take it to a recycler. I don't know if all of them do it but the Hobbytown USA down the street from me has a box on the counter just for taking old batteries.
No actual lithium metal or other heavy metals in a lipo pack. According to the air gurus over at rcgroups a discharged lipo pack is safe for the environment.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:00 AM
Tech Champion

Recycling is still a good idea regardless. Including for the plastic cases, copper/wiring, etc. Radio Shack, Home Depot/Lowes, perhaps your trash deal or community has recycling, etc.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by skeasor
I can't even complete the first step?
If for some reason one of the cells is damaged or disconnected from the circuit, you might be able to discharge the cell(s) using the balance connection.

I can't post the link yet (not enough posts), but if you search ebay for:

"RC Voltage Lipo Battery Meter Tester Indicator 2-6 cells LED Panel Voltmeter G9"

...you will see a $1.88 device (free shipping from Hong Kong) that will tell you the voltage of each cell and the total pack voltage. I bought one of these, and for the price, it's a no brainer. Or you can use a multimeter to manually identify the flakey cell.

Also, I've never done this, and clearly there is some risk involved, but on Youtube there are some videos that detail the dis-assembly of packs and removal of bad cells. You could theoretically build a new pack using good cells from other packs. There is a lot of risk to this I thought I'd mention it. The videos are interesting to watch even if you don't intend to start cutting open your bad LiPo packs.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

You can also just use a single, sealed headlight bulb.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I have used salt water for years very successfully. Usually need to leave the battery a couple of days though.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well the instructions from trakpower that was posted here says leave in the salt water 2 weeks. but discharge it another way first. throwing a fully charged up lipo in the saltwater doesn't work. like all the dolts on youtube do.

I use 2 55w halogen lights from a crashed motorcycle. still took a long time to discharge a 4s battery.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Don't do the "Battery Bath" as Venom instructs you to do on their email. The battery will blow up! Long story short, had a new battery go bad, Venom sent email to do Battery bath, did like said to do, POP!
Old 01-13-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

I did this method, as mentioned in the post. All went well and the battery was in the trash shortly after.

"Forgot to mention I like the amber bulbs. Less obnoxious to the eyes. Think they have an A after the number if I remember correctly. 1157A"
Old 01-14-2015, 04:51 AM
Tech Regular

I just use a MR16 12v 50w halogen downlighter bulb to drain my batteries. You can get them for buttons anywhere.