Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Trackstar Success Stories (Fanboys) Haters Need Not Apply >

Trackstar Success Stories (Fanboys) Haters Need Not Apply

Like Tree1Likes

Trackstar Success Stories (Fanboys) Haters Need Not Apply

Old 04-03-2015, 06:31 PM
  #166  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NZ
Posts: 678
Default

Originally Posted by Tbone17 View Post
Planning to try a trackstar servo in my B5M. Should I go with TS-900 or 920?

Unless of course there's a better option on a budget?
Savox. (Or futaba if you have lots of spare cash :-) )
Theres nothing worse than a bad/flaky servo.
Over the years Ive tried many cheap servos, never had any real luck with them.
Not a hater, just what Ive found. The Turnigy 1258TG was the last straw, went flaky on the first race I used it. From now on I'll buy savox.
But in saying that, I used to use Ko_propro servos: very expensive(approx $80-$120 each). They all failed (5 of them) except their budget one , thats alot of $

Not a hater, I still buy alot of Hobbyking stuff. Just not the HK car servos. The plane servo's Ive bought a ton of those .

With my Xcar esc, I did find that some firmware made it run backwards. Very strange but easily fixable with other firmware.
1101 is offline  
Old 04-03-2015, 06:37 PM
  #167  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NZ
Posts: 678
Default what shorty lipo pack ?

I need to buy some HK shorty lipo packs.
Should I get the standard nano, the A-Spec or the ultimate ?
Ive read that the A-spec wernt much better (but dont cost much more now)
The standard nano shorty are the lightest .
1101 is offline  
Old 04-03-2015, 07:40 PM
  #168  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (8)
 
Mwildmann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dillsburg, PA
Posts: 330
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

This past monday i placed an order for a build i'm finishing. It shipped out that day from the international warehouse and DHL Express was the carrier. It was on my doorstep wednesday afternoon! Bravo HK for finally contracting with a quality carrier! I dont even get stuff that quick from the USA warehouse! Very impressed right now.

Now I have a question. Got everything hooked up and working. Im running a DX2L tx, GR300 rx, Trackstar 120a SC ESC (Gen. 1) with a Turnigy 3674 2200kv motor. I cannot, for the life of me, get the damn ESC to calibrate. Read the instructions and troubleshooting multiple times. Anyone got any tips? Thanks.
Mwildmann is offline  
Old 04-05-2015, 07:27 PM
  #169  
Tech Master
iTrader: (10)
 
kvrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,003
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I outfitted my B5R buggy with all trackstar components and can't be happier. 120a genII esc, 17.5 roar motor, TS 920 servo and shorty battery. Ive been buying their batteries for years now and have a turnigy charger so it's not my first experience with them.
Car really pulls hard in stock blinky mode and servo is very smooth and strong.
I do have a question. I'm having problems getting the program box to link consistently with my laptop. When setting the punch control is setting it at 99% and 30/30 giving it max punch?
I know I can play with the settings and have. When I raced it Saturday they were all 3 set a 1% and it seemed fine. Now I set it up on my laptop and it had no pop at all in those settings. Then I went back and set it at 99-30-30 and it seems super punchy.
kvrc is offline  
Old 04-10-2015, 03:12 PM
  #170  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (32)
 
ILRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 255
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Redcan motor solder tabs

Let me first say I am not a newbie been running off road for 30 years. I just purchased a couple of Trackstar Redcan motors 6.5t and 5.5t for my B44.2 and the solder tabs are quite small and narrow. How are you guys soldering the esc leads to the motor tabs. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Mike
ILRacer is offline  
Old 04-10-2015, 05:37 PM
  #171  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 27
Default

Originally Posted by ILRacer View Post
Let me first say I am not a newbie been running off road for 30 years. I just purchased a couple of Trackstar Redcan motors 6.5t and 5.5t for my B44.2 and the solder tabs are quite small and narrow. How are you guys soldering the esc leads to the motor tabs. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Mike
Very carefully..... If I understood your question correctly here's what I do, I take some masking tape and place it between the terminals while soldering to prevent any accidental solder bridge. I usually start with the middle wire/tab first and then move to the outer terminals. Obviously pre-tin the tabs and wires, it shouldn't be to messy from that point on.

Once I have a few runs on the system and fully satisfied, I then cover the solder terminals in "Liquid Electrical tape" (found at any home improvement center/hardware store and fairly easily peeled off if needed), to prevent any accidental arcing or bridging should any foreign conductive material come in contact with the terminals while running.

On another note, I really like the Trackstar motor lineup but I got a little unlucky with one motor. The magnet come loose from the shaft, it was an easy fix, so off I went to the auto parts store and bought some high temp metal to metal epoxy. Sand and cleaned both inside the magnet and also the shaft followed by finish cleaning with a solvent. Mixed up epoxy and re-glued the magnet. Been holding up great ever since then without issue. Problem is when the magnet come loose it come in contact with the sensor board shorting out and killing a HK 120a ESC. Of course I didn't discover this until I bought another ESC (Hwing SCT Pro), it would suddenly shut-off and then reset. After a long hunt and motor dis-assembly did I discover the magnet had come loose from the shaft from a poor glue job at the factory (one single little drop). I should have RMA'd it, but I had it fixed and back running by the time an e-mail would have been answered. I'm sure the balance isn't perfect but I've had no issue since. I just ordered another motor (diff KV) if that tells you anything, but I will be checking that magnet before installation. Good luck!

Sir_CrashAlot.......
Sir_CrashAlot is offline  
Old 04-10-2015, 10:17 PM
  #172  
Tech Initiate
 
RC who 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 39
Default

This is the thread I am looking for.
I need help for my waterproof trackstar 70A ESC.
Got this ESC few weeks ago, test it out when I received it,
It took 4 to 5 minutes before it will power up, everything seem to work ok and smooth,
Only problem I had is when returned from reverse to neutral, it brake very hard.
I had try to hook up with 3 different sensor motors and radios and calibered all 3 of them. It still had the same problem.
Every time I take this ESC out and test it. It won't power up after 4 to 5 minutes later or some time it won't power up at all.
Once it power up, it work like normal, I can turn it on and off and replace motors and radios. Sometimes I can't turn on or off this ESC if the radio is not on.
Even connect to the program box, it won't power up,
Do I have a defective ESC or I did something wrong?

Ps: I had a HK 120A and a 60A and all different brands of ESC, this is the only one that act weird !!
Someone at HK support center told me that is normal for this ESC to brake hard when return from reverse to neutral. Is that true?
RC who 55 is offline  
Old 04-10-2015, 10:41 PM
  #173  
Tech Initiate
 
RC who 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 39
Default

Originally Posted by Mwildmann View Post
This past monday i placed an order for a build i'm finishing. It shipped out that day from the international warehouse and DHL Express was the carrier. It was on my doorstep wednesday afternoon! Bravo HK for finally contracting with a quality carrier! I dont even get stuff that quick from the USA warehouse! Very impressed right now.

Now I have a question. Got everything hooked up and working. Im running a DX2L tx, GR300 rx, Trackstar 120a SC ESC (Gen. 1) with a Turnigy 3674 2200kv motor. I cannot, for the life of me, get the damn ESC to calibrate. Read the instructions and troubleshooting multiple times. Anyone got any tips? Thanks.
Yes bravo to HK, I like their stuffs, have a lot of choices, fit your budget.

Mwildmann you were right, shipping with DHL express is great, took three days ship to my house at Canada from HK China.
It took EXOTEK two week ship two parts weights 300G and cost me 24$us. From San Diego to Canada.
RC who 55 is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 08:41 AM
  #174  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 166
Default

Originally Posted by RC who 55 View Post
This is the thread I am looking for.
I need help for my waterproof trackstar 70A ESC.
Got this ESC few weeks ago, test it out when I received it,
It took 4 to 5 minutes before it will power up, everything seem to work ok and smooth,
Only problem I had is when returned from reverse to neutral, it brake very hard.
I had try to hook up with 3 different sensor motors and radios and calibered all 3 of them. It still had the same problem.
Every time I take this ESC out and test it. It won't power up after 4 to 5 minutes later or some time it won't power up at all.
Once it power up, it work like normal, I can turn it on and off and replace motors and radios. Sometimes I can't turn on or off this ESC if the radio is not on.
Even connect to the program box, it won't power up,
Do I have a defective ESC or I did something wrong?

Ps: I had a HK 120A and a 60A and all different brands of ESC, this is the only one that act weird !!
Someone at HK support center told me that is normal for this ESC to brake hard when return from reverse to neutral. Is that true?
All of the Trackstar Turbo 120A Gen 1 ESCs I have do that reverse thing. If you engage reverse without a load and let the trigger go back to neutral the wheels will stop abruptly. In part because of this I have the reverse power set at 50% on the ESC.

Everything else you've described sounds pretty abnormal. Sounds like a bad ESC if it really wont power up unless it has been connected to a battery for a few minutes.
Christophoclese is offline  
Old 04-13-2015, 01:05 PM
  #175  
Tech Initiate
 
RC who 55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 39
Default

Thank you for the reply,
That clear up my mystery, I never had an ESC did that. Because it took long times to power up so I thought that neutral brake was abnormal.
I think my 70A ESC had a bad BEC, if I connected this ESC to my Wraith with external BEC, it will power on or off with the radio TX turn on, if the TX is off , you can't even turn off the ESC, my external BEC was wired properly, i am still connecting with my HK 120A ESC,
I had requested a RMA from Hobbyking.
Is that really all the trackstar gen1 Hextronik ESC do the hard brake at neutral?
RC who 55 is offline  
Old 04-14-2015, 09:36 PM
  #176  
Tech Initiate
iTrader: (2)
 
shagzternz1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Posts: 27
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Turbo 80A esc - worth every dollar and more

Just spreading some trackstar love lol ..Currently using a Turbo 80a esc in my onroad Associated Pan 10r5 235mm chassis here in NZ with a 13.5T Fantom Aspec, this is my first year racing in this class and racing on carpet, last week was my second meeting using this set up, it is taking alot of trial and error especially with limited knowledge about esc and turbo settings etc but I have found that i was well on pace finishing second overall after 3 heats and a final, esc runs nice and cool and have had no issues.. What would have been handy is a ESC for dummies sheet with it so you have a better idea of what you are adjusting from the outset rather than needing to race meetings to get closer to the optimum and some motor plugs..otherwise can't fault it
shagzternz1 is offline  
Old 04-17-2015, 08:32 PM
  #177  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,357
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

My 6 year old twins are each running a 17.5 trakstar red can in their T4's, along with hobbyking 80A esc's and Zippy 4000 mah batts. I couldn't be happier with the equipment. They bash the crap out of them, and the smiles on their faces are absolutely priceless!

I am thankful for HobbyKing making such affordable products available that I can outfit the entire family with their own vehicles. For that matter, I bought all the cars used off the RCTech buy/sell forums, so I am grateful for these forums as well.
jbrow1 is offline  
Old 04-17-2015, 08:40 PM
  #178  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
MikeHavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 69
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Question:
I just am getting back into the hobby after being out for quite a few years got the Gen II esc and 17.5 red can that I am putting in my B5M and not sure where to solder the Resistor... anything would help
Thanks Mike
MikeHavo is offline  
Old 04-17-2015, 08:57 PM
  #179  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (28)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,357
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MikeHavo View Post
Question:
I just am getting back into the hobby after being out for quite a few years got the Gen II esc and 17.5 red can that I am putting in my B5M and not sure where to solder the Resistor... anything would help
Thanks Mike
Assuming you are talking about the capacitor bank.. I looked at the manual and it didn't show where to solder. Checked some of my cars with turnigy, and hobbyking esc's, and the capacitors solder onto the same esc tabs that the battery wires do.

So capacitor + and the battery + solder to the same esc tab.
Capacitor - and the battery - solder to the same esc tab as well.
jbrow1 is offline  
Old 04-17-2015, 09:29 PM
  #180  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (3)
 
MikeHavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Temecula, Ca
Posts: 69
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Jbrow1
That's what I was assuming but you know how that goes people who assume mess up....
MikeHavo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.