R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Who makes a gauss meter?

Looks like the Trinity is discontinued for some reason. Are there others?
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Tech Addict
 
tessty71's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Plover, WI
Posts: 620
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Look here for most all motor measuring needs http://racersmeasurementsystems.com/main.sc
__________________
KSG SCX / C&M Mortorsports
Point R/C Raceway
tessty71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #3
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 702
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Thank you sir.
Sean B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,271
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Make one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Ut25cuTmA

This is 12 dollar of electronic components.
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Tech Master
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton Ab
Posts: 1,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Make one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Ut25cuTmA

This is 12 dollar of electronic components.
Can you provide some plans to build one?
__________________
Northern Alberta Scale Car Auto Racers Pres. and Promotions
SCHUMACHER RACING Canada,TEAM POWERS, Mon-Tech,Sanwa
patorz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,271
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

It is based on a SS495A
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b8009a37c.pdf

Working at 5v the zero point is at 2.5v. On one side there is a potmeter to adjust t0 zero. The calculated resistors for the 200mV digital meter is only to use the full range of the meter with the range of the hall sensor. Ideal to measure the differences between several rotors or with stockracing to detect illigal rotors.

If you want the real Gauss scale you need to calculate the right resistors.

The sensor needs to be on a 5~10mm distance of the rotor.
Attached Thumbnails
Who makes a gauss meter?-rotormeter2.jpg  
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessty71 View Post
Look here for most all motor measuring needs http://racersmeasurementsystems.com/main.sc
Saw those on Superior Hobbies' website; however, they were always out of stock. So I bought the Fantom Facts Machine 2. While not technically a gauss meter, it does compare rotor strength (both the + and - sides) and provides gauss like numbers for each. Also provides stator coil resistance.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,271
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wallace2 View Post
Saw those on Superior Hobbies' website; however, they were always out of stock. So I bought the Fantom Facts Machine 2. While not technically a gauss meter, it does compare rotor strength (both the + and - sides) and provides gauss like numbers for each. Also provides stator coil resistance.
Looking at that one it seems to me it works the same as I have made. 12 dollar components or 179 dollar unit.... I do see a potential bussiness
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Floresville, TX
Posts: 830
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
Looking at that one it seems to me it works the same as I have made. 12 dollar components or 179 dollar unit.... I do see a potential bussiness
I'm sure if I had the skill I could build a gauss meter less expensive, but I don't.
John Wallace2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 AM   #10
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
It is based on a SS495A
http://docs-europe.electrocomponents...6b8009a37c.pdf

Working at 5v the zero point is at 2.5v. On one side there is a potmeter to adjust t0 zero. The calculated resistors for the 200mV digital meter is only to use the full range of the meter with the range of the hall sensor. Ideal to measure the differences between several rotors or with stockracing to detect illigal rotors.

If you want the real Gauss scale you need to calculate the right resistors.

The sensor needs to be on a 5~10mm distance of the rotor.
From looking at the specs of the SS495A it only works up to 670 Guass.

(Magnetic Range (Typical) -670 Gauss to + 670 Gauss [-67 mT to +67 mT])

Surely a hall sensor is required that can measure up to around 1700 such as the SS94A2D?

I built one with the Allegro A1302 but it seems to top out at around 1350 for all rotors I tested.

Your circuit differs to mine. Do the resistors increase the range? It seems even combined, the range could only be 1340?
dvaid852456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:16 AM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,271
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

I use the SS495 sensor on a small distance. The resistor devider is just to get the output range of the sensor within the 200mV input range of the panel meter. I am not interested in a Gauss value because when building several you need to set the sensor with all on the excact distance, I just have build them so people can compare rotors with their meter.

With a LRP X11 17.5 turns stock rotor I have over here I set the readout op arround 1000 by moving the distance of the sensor, that is the middle of the total range of the meter.
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:27 AM   #12
Tech Adept
 
Pinkz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Down in a Hole
Posts: 238
Default

FACTS MACHINE v3 - BRUSHLESS ROTOR TESTER
__________________
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.....Yes, it will, Precious, won't it? It will get the hose! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyn0DVSn96I
Pinkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:15 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net