Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Imax b6 charger/lipo question >

Imax b6 charger/lipo question

Imax b6 charger/lipo question

Old 08-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Imax b6 charger/lipo question

ok so go easy on me as this is the first time ive used this charger for lipos. im charging a 3s protek rc 11.4v 2800mah battery. at 2amps. (let me know if this is too much or two little). ive read that 2.8 is the max so i thought 2 is a good number.

when i go into the user setting to save i save it as 2800mah max..however when i load my user info it still says 5000mah max. will this automatically know when it is fully charged? like it did on my nimh/cd batterys?

each cell is reading 4.08 this is good correct? if i had a bad cell one would be lower or higher correct? it has a balancer build into it which im using.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

These can be charged at 1C, 2.8 amps safely.

Once fully charged, you should see a total voltage of 12.6 volts (3x4.2v).

The capacity only really matters at it changes the charge rate (amps) automatically. As long as it it is at 2.8 you are fine. If you have an 'auto' or 'ignore' setting on the charger you can set the capacity there. Critical number is the charge aperage.

And yes, it will charge and balance, then end on its own as long as you are in Lipo mode and have cell count set correctly.

Part of the balance cycle is to make sure each cell is equal, during use some cells will draw down naturally faster than others, this gets worse as the battery ages. The charger will rebalance as long as you have balancing turned on.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 PM
Tech Regular

ok got it a little better. i see 1c would be 2.8 amps because its a 2800mah so if this charger only charges at 6amps i couldnt go higher than a 6000mah battery? and a 7500mah should be charged at 7.5 amps correct?

sorry if these are dumb,noob questions i figure i should ask before i overcharge and burn my house down. i appreciate the help, really. the lipo world as well as getting into electric rc's is also.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

catching up. watching youtube video watching exactly what to do with my charger.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

You can charge a battery at less than 1C, but also many can be charged at higher than 1C (I have some 3C batteries). But correct 1C is 2.8 amps for a 2800mah battery. You can charge larger than 6000 mah batteries, it just will take longer.

Ideally you want to charge lipos at a minimum of 1C.

And welcome to the electric part of the hobby.