40mhz radio

Old 07-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Default 40mhz radio

Just getting back into the hobby and adapting to the new changes.
I'm now running lipo batteries and savox digital servos in my kyosho nitro buggy.
Using a futaba 3gr 40mhz radio kit and experiencing some problems. Servos randomly glitch. Some times the throttle servo will stay open for a few seconds glitch. Don't know if this is interference? I just have no confidence in it at all. Always nervous driving the car as it tends to do it's own thing and I would like to go racing with it but can't if it keeps doing this as it will cause damage!
Anyone else have problems running the older 40mhz with nitro? Starting to think I should invest in the 2.4 ghz futaba 3GR.
Any advice would be great.
Rob
Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

a new radio would be a good investment, however the old one shouldnt be doing what its doing

check to make sure the antenna wire on the receiver doesnt have any cuts or chafed through spots on it. also make sure it hasnt been cut shorter, the antenna wire is a calibrated length. ideally the antenna wire shouldnt touch any metal or graphite/carbon parts, that can cause interference. make sure your crystals are fully seated in both the radio and receiver, and try another set if you have them. also, make sure your batteries are new/full charged.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Adept

Was looking at trying spektrum dx4r...
I'll purchase new high set of nimh batts for the TX just to see how I get on...

The antenna doesn't seen to be cut the range is ok.. Just glitches and opens the throttle.
The antenna I think, does come in to contact briefly with metal as the antenna tube mount is made of metal...
I do think 2.4ghz will make a difference with nitro..
Thanks
Rob
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

2.4 is generally more reliable than the old 40Mhz stuff. Plus if your 40Mhz stuff has been sat around for a few years it most probably has degraded as any other electronic device would do if not used. I used to get random glitches with 40Mhz stuff back in the day and it was usually caused by interference on the model from metals touching each other for example. If you have another Rx try that as well as changing the crystals for another frequency as it could be as simple as a bad pair of crystals.

A new radio would be a worthwhile investment. Stick to Futaba, Sanwa, KO Propo though Spektrum isn't worth the hassle - many threads in here on that subject!
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Dan!

It's the crystaless radio kit, but it is several years old I know that. I think the guy I originally purchased it from didn't buy it brand new either! served me well last time I was in the hobby.

Been reading through the Spektrum threads on this forum and seen so many youtube comments saying how bad the Radios are

Think I'll end up sticking with Futaba.

What's everyone else using to race nitro?

Rob
Old 07-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Think its my Lipo regulator that's causing the interference
holding the reg in my hand is enough to cause the servos to glitch. moving the reg anywhere near the receiver causes even more twitching in the servos. I do position it as far away as I can in the receiver box... it is quite cramped in there now.

I hope 2.4ghz solves this
Old 07-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

40mhz radio is like watching black and white tv ... good for old reruns of Dark Shadows but it's not like 60 inches of 3D Star Wars. 2.4 radios are wonderful. I like Airtonics but Futabas are good. and yes spektrum has some issues with savox especially.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zonda View Post
Think its my Lipo regulator that's causing the interference
holding the reg in my hand is enough to cause the servos to glitch. moving the reg anywhere near the receiver causes even more twitching in the servos. I do position it as far away as I can in the receiver box... it is quite cramped in there now.

I hope 2.4ghz solves this
Alternatively you could try a 2s life rx pack and do away with the regulator completely? That might work!