Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with my motor/esc. I'm confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 131 (100%+)
Default Problem with my motor/esc. I'm confused

Hey guys, I'm not sure if it's the motor or ESC, or possible even batteries, but I'm having some problems.

The throttle is extremely weak below 3-5mph and it'll shut off if it cant get above about 3-5mph in about 1 second. Its bad enough to were if i floor it on a baseball field, I have trouble getting it started. I normally have to get off and back on the throttle once, sometimes twice as soon as it cuts out to get it to that speed. As soon as it goes below that speed, it's perfectly fine with plenty of power.

This has me quite confused, so do you guys have any ideas?

I'm running a sidewinder 1/8 esc and a reedy 550 motor in a desc410

Last edited by rc_dude; 04-19-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Are you running a sensored motor/esc? If so try another sensor cable... If still no good try another motor to see if the sensors have gone in the current motor. Also check the calibration of the end points on the esc.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Are you running a sensored motor/esc? If so try another sensor cable... If still no good try another motor to see if the sensors have gone in the current motor. Also check the calibration of the end points on the esc.
Updated post, running sidewinder 1/8 esc and reedy 550 motor, so sensorless. The endpoint are set correctly and it does it no matter how much power I give it, same in reverse.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

What's the cog on the motor feel like by hand? Have you had the combo for a while? Possibly sounds like the rotor is letting go of it magnetism.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hmmm. Ok has this only started recently? I'd want to check all my connections as a bad solder joint can cause issues. What batteries are you using? If they are quite low C rating then maybe they aren't capable of outputting the power needed for hard acceleration and the voltage is sagging causing the LVC to trigger?
Old 04-19-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Slo-there is no cog by hang, holding it off the ground it still accelerates very slow till that wheel speed. The ESC is new, the motor I bought used and this was its first run.

Dan-my solder joint look pretty good throughout. It doesn't matter how much throttle I give it, it always has troubles getting to that speed. My batteries are turnigy 5100mah 65c LiPos. At the end of the run, it still acted the same, not getting worse at the end
Old 04-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

What I mean by cog is how hard is it to turn by hand? Can you feel the poles/magnetism? If not, then it is probably the rotor going out.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Slo_E4
What I mean by cog is how hard is it to turn by hand? Can you feel the poles/magnetism? If not, then it is probably the rotor going out.
Yea, it "clicks" by turning it over. Not as much as my mama monster or the 1415 motor but its smaller and a different brand too. It doesn't get very hot either
Old 04-20-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Any other ideas? I'm going to reflash the ESC to make sure it's not a programing issue.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

You said power feels poor below the 3-5 mph range and you mention flooring it in another sentence. I am curious how it operates if you drive it very slowly and accelerate softly. Does it still cut out if you do not reach your 3-5 mph? Does it feel normal?

I don't know if the answers will make for an easy diagnosis but it may help eliminate some possible causes. I am also curious if this is a smooth lack of power or if it is cogging, bucking, etc.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by burnineyes
You said power feels poor below the 3-5 mph range and you mention flooring it in another sentence. I am curious how it operates if you drive it very slowly and accelerate softly. Does it still cut out if you do not reach your 3-5 mph? Does it feel normal?

I don't know if the answers will make for an easy diagnosis but it may help eliminate some possible causes. I am also curious if this is a smooth lack of power or if it is cogging, bucking, etc.
Its practically the same amount of acceleration in that range no matter how much throttle I give it. If I give it as little power as possible, the only difference is it doesn't take off all of a sudden at that speed. The start is always smooth, never any cogging or hesitation, just painfully slow.
Its as of the esc cant give the motor anything other 1/10 power below that speed
Old 04-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I know you are running sensorless but this sounds exactly like what happened to mine when my sensor cable broke one of the wires off. Maybe that motor has to run on a sensored esc.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TLR Chipmunk
I know you are running sensorless but this sounds exactly like what happened to mine when my sensor cable broke one of the wires off. Maybe that motor has to run on a sensored esc.
Its not a sensored motor though

I'll try reprogramming the esc and see if I can find anything today
Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Oh i though it was a sensored reedy, my bad
Old 04-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

haha no problem.

Reprogramed and rewrote firmware on the ESC, same story still

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.