Radiolink RC3S radio

Old 12-25-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (97%+)

Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
Bill- On my RC4G radio you now have the option to change the channel 4 switch to be momentary or on/off. I'm not sure if it is a new option with my firmware version or if it has always been that way.

Mike
You're right... under menu option "16: AUX"

There are 3 different settings for either CH3 or CH4:

VR
SW(TACT)
SW(LOCK)

I believe that TACT is momentary and LOCK is on/off
Old 02-26-2015, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default RC3S radio range issues

I just got my radio in a few days ago (banggood) and set it up and immediately had range issues. Would only hold a signal to about 50'. I tried rebinding it, using a spare reciever, and changing the batteries in the radio. Using the non-gyro receivers.

Works great within 50'.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I recently received a RadioLink RC3S and two R4EH-H receivers, and thought I would contribute some observations on them here.

I would not consider the RC3S as a proper radio for racing, because there are no immediately accessible buttons or pots to adjust steering rate or brakes while driving. (These must be done through the programming menu.) However, I knew this before purchasing, and accepted these limitations since the radio will only be used for "loaner" cars that I provide to other drivers to race in the Breakout classes at my local tracks.

The radios I had been using in the loaner cars work fine on our 36'x80' indoor carpet track, but had insufficient range for use at our 80'x120' parking lot track. The RC3S and both R4EH-H receivers have sufficient range for both tracks.

Unfortunately, problems became obvious as I used the system, and I will list these, and some solutions to them, below.

There is a "dead spot" at the end of full throttle trigger position that has no effect, i.e., the throttle servo or ESC reaches full travel before the trigger does. (None of the adjustments affect this behavior, which means that either the potentiometer connected to the trigger has reached its maximum value before the trigger reaches its mechanical stop, or the potentiometer output exceeds the allowable range of the internal A/D converter.) A quick fix was to tape a mechanical stop under the trigger, limiting its maximum travel to match the potentiometer limit.

The steering response has a similar problem: the steering servo stops moving before the steering wheel reaches its mechanical stops, and (worse yet) this behavior is different for left and right. I had considered using a similar solution to that used on the throttle trigger: mechanical stops could easily be added by removing the steering wheel and adding some shims to the existing stops. Unfortunately this reduces the steering wheel movement (obviously), which didn't feel very good to me, so I'm considering other options.

Another thing I didn't like was the location of the steering and throttle trims. Almost every transmitter I've used has the steering trim directly above the steering wheel, and the throttle trim on the left side. These positions are swapped on the RC3S. Fortunately, there is a simple fix for this, as follows:

Remove the three screws holding the steering wheel housing to the main body.

Remove the 10-pin connector from the steering assembly.

Assuming the red wire is #1, remove wire #4 from the connector body by using an Exacto blade or very small flat screwdriver to CAREFULLY lift the small plastic tab that holds the wire in the connector while gently pulling on the wire to slide it out. Repeat for wire #5, #6, and #7.

Replace wire #4 into connector position #7.
Replace wire #5 into connector position #6.
Replace wire #6 into connector position #4.
Replace wire #7 into connector position #5.

Last edited by howardcano; 05-26-2015 at 03:54 AM. Reason: "traqnsmitter"
Old 05-26-2015, 12:48 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

Hi Howard,
just to comment on your post:
When I had the radio I found the different position for the trimers to be more logical than the standard one. It allows to trim with the second hand - i.e. trim the steering with the left hand and the throttle with the right. It is unusual but gives sense.

A note - the RE4H-H reciever has problem with some high speed servos as savox 1251 and even fast turnigy (1250 if I remember correctly). Looks like brownout and appeares when the steering is operated briskly.
I had some glitches with my radio which cause me a few crashes. It might have been the RF noise at our track as they always appeared at the same place even when I drove alone. Unfortunately one of the spots was the middle of the straight...

Also the centering was not that great. You can see few measurements of the radio in comparison to others in this post.

Last edited by sbd; 05-26-2015 at 03:20 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sbd View Post
Hi Howard,
just to comment on your post:
When I had the radio I found the different position for the trimers to be more logical than the standard one. It allows to trim with the second hand - i.e. trim the steering with the left hand and the throttle with the right. It is unusual but gives sense.

A note - the RE4H-H reciever has problem with some high speed servos as savox 1251 and even fast turnigy (1250 if I remember correctly). Looks like brownout and appeares when the steering is operated briskly.
I had some glitches with my radio which cause me a few crashes. It might have been the RF noise at our track as they always appeared at the same place even when I drove alone. Unfortunately one of the spots was the middle of the straight...

Also the centering was not that great. You can see few measurements of the radio in comparison to others in this post.
Thanks for the additional information. Based on all of this, I will continue my search for other radios. I also purchased a Skyion DX Pro on 2.4GHz, which is better suited to my purposes, but unfortunately is very hard to find!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Two more observations on the RC3S:

When racing Breakout, it is a good idea to have the throttle end point adjustment immediatey accessible. The ideal situation would be to have a radio where the throttle endpoint can be assigned to a switch or button which is always active. Only a few radios have this feature; the ones we have been using do not. The workaround has been to get the radio into its menu for throttle endpoint adjustment before starting the race, to save time if an adjustment must be made during the race. Unfortunately, the RC3S has a time-out, where the radio exits the selected menu item after a short time.

A positive item: The battery compartment is large enough to accept a four-cell sub-C NiCad or NiMH pack. This requires removal of a very small amount of plastic from the battery compartment, which is easily done. With the large battery, one can accidentally forget to turn the radio off between races without prematurely draining it.
Old 01-16-2016, 12:10 PM
Tech Rookie

I just got a Radiolink RC3S I got everything hooked up my steering works fine but my throttle doesn't work with the trigger but I can move it with the "SW" button and the "VR" knob can someone please help me fix it
Old 01-16-2016, 10:51 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Farmguy View Post
I just got a Radiolink RC3S I got everything hooked up my steering works fine but my throttle doesn't work with the trigger but I can move it with the "SW" button and the "VR" knob can someone please help me fix it

Is this electric or nitro. What channel did you plug the throttle into?

Almost sounds like your plugged into one of the aux channels 3 or 4.

2 is the correct channel but maybe try moving it to what normally would be 3 or 4 to see if something's wrong.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sacmiata View Post
Is this electric or nitro. What channel did you plug the throttle into?

Almost sounds like your plugged into one of the aux channels 3 or 4.

2 is the correct channel but maybe try moving it to what normally would be 3 or 4 to see if something's wrong.
It's a 1/5 scale gas I tried that I even replaced my Survo and still didn't work
Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Tech Regular

When you move the trigger does the display respond showing trigger position

You may want to try to calibrate? Are you sure you have the servo pugged into channel 2.

Is channel 2's maxed out to 120% in either direction.

Good info here

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=217514

Also try doing a factory reset. See if that helps. The only thing that bothers me is that it sounds like one servo can be moved by two separate channels. Sounds like there is some funky channel mixing that you or someone may of left in by accident.

My first RC3S I got from banggood the range was about 20 feet. Sent a video to banggood and got a replacement radio as well as a hobbyking version. Both have been working good. You might need to do the same.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

I want to share some testing i have done with this radio. I have the Trackstar TS4G version. And inside it is a little switch near the radio module as mentioned in a forum i found. There was little evidence to what it does and some said it increased the range on the radio. So I wanted to find out more. I measured the mA usage from the battery before and after I changed the switch position. Before the peak mA was 114mA and after it was 138mA, so 25mA more power drain is related to the switch. It is very likely it add more power to the radio output.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Also I have done some testing of its real delay from steering input to actual servo signal is updated. Using an arduino to control the steering of the radio and reading the servo output doing 200 tests and average the results and repeat it 10 times. From those test i remove the best and the worst from all data and take average max and min values.

Trackstar TS4G + non gyro receiver: Avg delay: 26.4ms, Min delay: 10.7ms, Max delay: 40.7ms, Servo updaterate: 55hz.
Flysky GT3B + fs-gr3e receiver .....: Avg delay: 44.5ms, Min delay: 28.1ms, Max delay: 60.9ms, Servo updaterate: 64hz.
Flysky GT3B custom firmware v061: Avg delay: 28.2ms, Min delay: 13.4ms, Max delay: 39.4ms, Servo updaterate: 63hz.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

So Radiolink has upgraded to a newer release called the RC4GS with tons of improved features:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Definitely, will keep eye on the new RadioLink transmitter. The RS4GS does have a few improved areas of interest (mainly range), but not enough for me to give up on the RC3S just yet. The RC3S price tag is considerably lower than that of the RS4G, and almost half (on a good day) of the RS4GS for those of us that don't need/want gyro.

The RC3S has been treating me well for the past year. I never did an actual range test per se. Having my RC on a street, RC3S on 6v, and barely being able to tell which end is which, is far enough range for me.

Now, any idea why receivers were given a name change?

Is there anything different with the new receivers?

I couldn't find any info other than TI CC2500 communication chip in the new receiver. I do have a R4F receiver on it's way to add to collection/try out.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Yes, the new Rx's offer many more features along with some new features in the Tx too:

RC3S -> RC4GS
2 freq -> 16 freq spectrum (new Rx)
8 bit -> 32 bit speed
18ms -> 12ms latency (new Rx)
10dbm -> 20dbm power
2048 -> 4096 resolution (new Rx)
260m -> 400m range

+ USB Firmware Up-gradable
- Futaba style charge port removed

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service