iCharger 406 DUO Charger >

iCharger 406 DUO Charger

Like Tree99Likes

iCharger 406 DUO Charger

Old 04-04-2024, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Are you sure you only want to charge at 3A? 406 Duo is pretty big to bundle with a small PSU for such a low charge rate, I'd recommend just getting a small AC charger instead.
Yes, this would be for 1/28 scale type racing batteries. I have a large power supply for charging 1/10 type racing batteries at a much higher rate but its kinda overkill for these little batteries and pretty heavy for traveling with. I've been looking at small chargers and found a few of interest that I'm still considering. Most dont really do a good job of discharging, or at least discharging quickly. I just thought I would explore the idea of using my 406duo for travel but with as small of a power supply as I can find if one exists.
Old 04-04-2024, 03:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF
Yes, this would be for 1/28 scale type racing batteries. I have a large power supply for charging 1/10 type racing batteries at a much higher rate but its kinda overkill for these little batteries and pretty heavy for traveling with. I've been looking at small chargers and found a few of interest that I'm still considering. Most dont really do a good job of discharging, or at least discharging quickly. I just thought I would explore the idea of using my 406duo for travel but with as small of a power supply as I can find if one exists.
I've been in that boat, I find my 406 duo way overkill for my 1/28 batteries. Those batteries don't really support high discharge in the first place, just about any charger will be fine.
Old 04-05-2024, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've been in that boat, I find my 406 duo way overkill for my 1/28 batteries. Those batteries don't really support high discharge in the first place, just about any charger will be fine.
The cycling suggestion from one of the top racers was 2 amp charge and 3 amp discharge to get the lowest IR and highest punch out of the packs for stock racing. Same story as any stock racing, just on a smaller scale. The travel charger I currently have is the Ultrapower UPS4AC. It does 1 amp x 4 channels. Great little charger as I can do Lipo and Nimh at the same time. It gets the batteries charged ok, but no discharge or higher end voltage options. A couple chargers I've been considering are the ToolkitRC Q4AC, and the ISDT 608AC. Both are small and have their own power supply and will do up to 2 amps discharge according to the specs. At home I can use my 406duo with the normal power supply and do a cycle of 3A discharge followed by a 2A charge. So the original question was is there a smaller travel power supply that would power the 406duo and run those specs.
Old 04-06-2024, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'm assuming you want to be able to charge both batteries at the same time, you need something like the 72w 12v power supplies you can find all over the place. Will need to modify the output cable to match the iChargers input connector.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:15 PM
Tech Master

What about wiring together a few bigger race packs? How many mah do you use in a run? 2 2s packs in series could easily power the charger for a ton of mini racing. Its probably what I'd do in your situation.
Old 05-06-2024, 11:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

So just picked up an icharger 406 and had a question about the end charge voltage. All of the profile settings are default with the exception of charge rate which is 10amp for a 2s lipo. When the charge cycle is complete the pack voltage is around ~8.35 and cell voltage is ~4.17. Posts in this thread suggest bumping up the charge cell voltage to 4.21. Other reading suggests changing the balance settings to "End Current AND Detect Balance" along with setting the "Charge End Current" from its default 10% down to 2 or 3%. Which would be the desired approach? Its likely not even a real issue at club level racing but it is different from my other chargers. I'm coming from ISDT chargers and they always came off at exactly 4.2v per cell and 8.4v for the pack without having to change any settings.
Old 05-06-2024, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by gimpy racer
So just picked up an icharger 406 and had a question about the end charge voltage. All of the profile settings are default with the exception of charge rate which is 10amp for a 2s lipo. When the charge cycle is complete the pack voltage is around ~8.35 and cell voltage is ~4.17. Posts in this thread suggest bumping up the charge cell voltage to 4.21. Other reading suggests changing the balance settings to "End Current AND Detect Balance" along with setting the "Charge End Current" from its default 10% down to 2 or 3%. Which would be the desired approach? Its likely not even a real issue at club level racing but it is different from my other chargers. I'm coming from ISDT chargers and they always came off at exactly 4.2v per cell and 8.4v for the pack without having to change any settings.
I prefer to bump the final voltage up to 4.21. It'll charge quicker as it stays at a higher current for longer then stops without waiting for an extended period of time at a low current at the end of the cycle.
glennhl likes this.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

I prefer to bump the final voltage up to 4.21. It'll charge quicker as it stays at a higher current for longer then stops without waiting for an extended period of time at a low current at the end of the cycle.
Perfect, thanks!
Old 06-01-2024, 08:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I am getting a 2400 error code, voltage matched error, the voltage of the balance port sum is lower than the output one, when trying to charge TRAXXAS 3 cell packs. I can charge TRAXXAS 4 cell packs with no problem, with the same leads. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-02-2024, 12:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by courtlow
I am getting a 2400 error code, voltage matched error, the voltage of the balance port sum is lower than the output one, when trying to charge TRAXXAS 3 cell packs. I can charge TRAXXAS 4 cell packs with no problem, with the same leads. Any help would be appreciated.
What are the voltages of the individual cells and the total pack voltage as displayed on the charger?
Old 06-20-2024, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

How do I set the hold voltage after charge? as in it keeps the voltage at 4.22 per cell instead of dropping down.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF
So the original question was is there a smaller travel power supply that would power the 406duo and run those specs.
Any brick-style laptop charger rated at 12-24 volts and over 60 watts should fulfill this need.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by danny d
How do I set the hold voltage after charge? as in it keeps the voltage at 4.22 per cell instead of dropping down.
I don't believe there is a "trickle charge" setting...but, if I'm wrong, I'm also interested in knowing, as I've had the same problem. Since getting the 406 DUO, my only 'solution' has been to unplug the battery as quickly a possible (usually, within less than 1min) after the "charged" beeping starts.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Panther6834
I don't believe there is a "trickle charge" setting...but, if I'm wrong, I'm also interested in knowing, as I've had the same problem. Since getting the 406 DUO, my only 'solution' has been to unplug the battery as quickly a possible (usually, within less than 1min) after the "charged" beeping starts.
Unplugging the battery doesn't stop the voltage sagging.
Andy Koback likes this.
Old 06-20-2024, 07:36 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by danny d
There is a function for the ichargers, but I can only set it to keep the voltage for 5 mins. After that it would stop charging.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.