★☆★ Portable Charging Station ★☆★

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

★☆★ Portable Charging Station ★☆★

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Rookie

This looks great! Cant wait to see the progress.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I hate guys like you. So jealous I don't have those skills.

Looks awesome. Subscribing to thread.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Just a small update. I received most of my parts thus far but there are a few things that have not arrived like the new heat sinks which are sorta necessary. Ive gotten all the voltage and amp meters, switches and rotary encoders.

Ive also decided that im going to stick to a total of four chargers instead of five with some ext plugs seeing as how the power supply can handle up to 60 amps.

Regarding the "design" and layout of the case, Ive decided that im going to divide the inside into two separate compartments. The power supply will have two of its own fans pulling air across it and the four chargers will have their own fans. I figure that since the fans have about 50% opening on both ends, there will be a healthy supply of fresh air flow. One of the chargers will sit on top of the other using brass spacers.

Here are some pics of where I am now. I will have to find the proper hole saw to cut out the exhaust vents and and im still trying to figure out how to create the intake holes.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Master

While rummaging through my parts bin, I found three monster Delta fans that will pull more air then necessary at full speed. On their lowest setting, they blow more air then their slimmer counterparts at full speed. Since they are thicker, I will make them work on the charger half with a temp controlled fan speed controller so as the chargers enter into discharge mode, they will ramp the fans up to as much as necessary.

Here is a side by side comparison of the two fans. I would guesstimate that there is about 50% more fan there physically and in its air moving capability.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

So today is my birthday and I have decided to spend the day at home to work on my project.. Wife thinks im loco..

The more I looked at the project, the more I realized that some things were off and needed to be relocated. Such as the power plug. I decided that the plug would get in the way of the air intake and posed an issue in design. What do we do when a component poses and issue in current design? Well lets just say that there is a reason for revision numbers. In short, the power plug moved to a more convenient location on the back.

Easy as 1. 2. 3!

Next I decided to make the intake hole simple and practical, ill make sure to make the grill more complicated for complicated' sake. A rectangle never failed anyone, right? I decided to use the 1" hole saw to cut the round corners. Since the walls of the case are fairly easy to work with and the sheet of metal covering the case is thin, I decided to waste a razor blade and cut the straight lines by hand.

After some more wrist breaking cutting and some sanding, I present to you;

Le Hole..

Overall, I think that today has been very productive. I will spend the next hour or so designing the grill that will cover that hole and provide some sort of "filtration"... At least from cats, dogs and mice that may try to enter. I'm thinking that brushed steel will look nice covering the rhino lined surface...

As a closing thought, im happy to see that there are some folks who are following me and I wanted to say thanks for those who subscribed. What's more encouraging then support!

Well actually, this;

And this;

And lastly, this;

Last edited by M3Roc; 11-11-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Tech Regular

whoaa.. you should get this things patented. or any brands steals your idea. great DIY idea.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by banana rt
whoaa.. you should get this things patented. or any brands steals your idea. great DIY idea.
I've considered it but none of the electronics are my original concept. I have a feeling that Delta and TC would have a fit if I patented their patented hardware. My brother is studying to become an electrical engineer and I have a little but of a background so if I ever wanted to, im sure we could come up with an original concept. If there is a company out there that's interested in a think tank with R&D funds, im your man though. Too many thoughts run through my head and not enough paper to jot them all down.

Ive tried cleaning my desk before, I have a wall to wall 10' desk plus other space. This is what it looks like on a daily basis, an organized mess;

And this is command post where I bring my work to your screens;

Surprisingly enough, I know where every tool is and where all my parts are sitting. Never a dull moment however when im looking for something that's blending into the sea parts right in front of me..
Old 11-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M3Roc
Those fans are setup to exhaust the warm air, they aren't pushing air in. They will be creating a vacuum inside the case exhausting warm air out and pulling cool air in from the opposite end creating a steady flow of cool air across all components. If I reverse the fans and have them blowing cool air in, that would be very unproductive because fans that size don't have a lot of head pressure. All the circuit boards inside will be lined up with the length of the case so that air flows from one end to the other covering everything.
you have it backwards, read up on computer case modding.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by asc6000
you have it backwards, read up on computer case modding.
Computer case modding has nothing to do with this. Im removing a set amount of air from the case which needs to be replaced. Notice how computer cases have a bunch of fans pulling warm air out, and only one of two pushing cool air in, if any? Creating a vacuum inside the cavity forces cool air to find its way in. Since cool air is denser then warm, having a cross flow in a seemingly sealed enclosure will provide the best cooling.

Lastly, I will be monitoring the temps inside. Just for the sake of it, I may consider flipping the fans around to see if pushing air into the case helps any.

Last edited by M3Roc; 11-13-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Received the heatsink's today. Now they need to have two fins milled out for the screws, have the "flat" surface lapped so that its actually flat for better heat conductivity and the pieces need to be cut to length.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:42 PM
Tech Master

Shopped around today, found a new project box for around $37. It opens at the top and for some reason I like it.. I also purchased a hole saw kit, I realized that I was missing it in my tool box, all I had was a 120mm holes saw..

Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Master

Finally found the proper hole saw. This is its story..

Gonna check the air flow once I find my fan controller. Im also debating running the fans without the grills to reduce drag and noise. The Delta fans have a guard anyways and the other fans are not finger blenders.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Really nice work!
Are you going to extend the wires for the chargers and build a custom control panel for the displays and plugs, or are you going to use the existing charger controls in their panels?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In a computer case, you should actually have more fans blowing IN than out, usually a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. That's how I have my HAF 932 set up. 6 intake fans and only 2 exhaust fans at the very rear/upper section of the case.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wrongchannel
Really nice work!
Are you going to extend the wires for the chargers and build a custom control panel for the displays and plugs, or are you going to use the existing charger controls in their panels?
Im going to make a custom panel that will cover everything and incorporate all the screens, switches and gauges including the plugs for the wires going to the batteries.
Originally Posted by hyujmn
In a computer case, you should actually have more fans blowing IN than out, usually a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. That's how I have my HAF 932 set up. 6 intake fans and only 2 exhaust fans at the very rear/upper section of the case.
I'm not building a computer here im building an enclosed charger. In an enclosed case, with an entry and exit, there will always exist either a vacuum or pressure buildup. Computer cases are notorious for having perforations and plenty of places air can enter and escape, most fans don't even sit tight up against an opening and others have a gap outside the fans diameter. This makes a computer case a very turbulent enclosure. Being that that's grossly inefficient, it would make sense to push as much air in as possible to create some sort of exchange.

Take for instance a server. Where space is limited and cooling is essential, you dont see a few fans blowing in, a few blowing out, a few blowing down a few to the left and a few in random places. The server case is designed to be linear flow. Meaning the cool air enters the front, the fans line the case edge to edge to create even and static flow, the heat sinks are all lined up with the flow. Cool air enters the front and hot air leaves the back. Simple as that. Very little turbulence, and almost no BS.

Lastly, Ive had the fans hooked up to a speed controller and ive had those fans running low to high speed with the case closed. There is a MASSIVE amount of air that moves through the case, I don't have a single worry that there wont be enough cooling. I would say that noise is more of an issue but im not worries. In the future, if I want it a little quieter, ill replace all the fans with some Noctua fans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.