Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Official Tekin RSX Thread >

Official Tekin RSX Thread

Like Tree71Likes

Official Tekin RSX Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 154 (99%+)

If you only run spec, the RS Pro Black Edition does have less resistance than the RSX and thus would be the better choice.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RSX ESC shorted

Dear Team Tekin help.

At the track I got these leds flashing in my RSX ESC (1,2,6 & 7). According to the troubleshooting guide it should be: (Wrong motor type, or internal short in ESC or motor detected. Check motor wire solder joints.)

What I did:
- I checked the motor (redline G3 Spec R) wire solder joints. They were fine.
- I checked with Hotwire card the ESC. It seems ok, I can read/write on the ESC w/o issues.
- I used a different motor with the ESC, however the ESC still flash the same leds.
- I used a different ESC (RX8 G3) with the initial motor. Everything works fine
- RSX ESC flash the same leds w/o a motor connected

I believe it is an internal short in the RSX ESC. Anyone may help, ESC is almost new, it has less than 50 hrs run (The RSX ESC is not under warranty)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I installed a brand new 2.5 gen 3/ rsx combo into my new onroad project and first run out I ran into a problem. Only adjustment I made was to the CL which I dropped to led 3, but changing it back made no difference. The car moves nice and smooth when you ease it around, start giving it some throttle...like around 35%-50ish% or more, doesn't matter if you ease into it or from a start the cars steering slams to either direction becoming unresponsive and the motor cuts out, then after a delay it either slams in the other direction with a small hint of motor for a split second then stops and repeats a few times, or the steering becomes back online and centers with the motor coming back online instantly back to power which for this motor is scary. If I let off when it starts, it starts to work fine until I ease past that one point again, and if i hold it seems to work fine after it glitches out and comes back online until I slow the car down and it starts over.
Brand new battery, its a proteck lihv, fresh charge, transmitter is fine, no error lights when i run it on a bench, which it does perfectly fine. troubleshooting stopped when it stripped the spur.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chorta View Post
Dear Team Tekin help.

At the track I got these leds flashing in my RSX ESC (1,2,6 & 7). According to the troubleshooting guide it should be: (Wrong motor type, or internal short in ESC or motor detected. Check motor wire solder joints.)

What I did:
- I checked with Hotwire card the ESC. It seems ok, I can read/write on the ESC w/o issues.
- I used a different motor with the ESC, however the ESC still flash the same leds.

I believe it is an internal short in the RSX ESC. Anyone may help, ESC is almost new, it has less than 50 hrs run (The RSX ESC is not under warranty)
Refer to your manual or Tekin help on their website for a "hard reset". Try that first; this will reset theESC back to factory settings and treat it as a new one out of the box. If the code reappears then contact Tekin service.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:27 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cobrajet View Post
I installed a brand new 2.5 gen 3/ rsx combo into my new onroad project and first run out I ran into a problem. Only adjustment I made was to the CL which I dropped to led 3, but changing it back made no difference. The car moves nice and smooth when you ease it around, start giving it some throttle...like around 35%-50ish% or more, doesn't matter if you ease into it or from a start the cars steering slams to either direction becoming unresponsive and the motor cuts out, then after a delay it either slams in the other direction with a small hint of motor for a split second then stops and repeats a few times, or the steering becomes back online and centers with the motor coming back online instantly back to power which for this motor is scary. If I let off when it starts, it starts to work fine until I ease past that one point again, and if i hold it seems to work fine after it glitches out and comes back online until I slow the car down and it starts over.
Brand new battery, its a proteck lihv, fresh charge, transmitter is fine, no error lights when i run it on a bench, which it does perfectly fine. troubleshooting stopped when it stripped the spur.
That's a unique one to me. What exact transmitter, receiver, and servo are you using? Can you take pictures of how everything is wired up? Have you tried removing the sensor cable and running it? What version of the firmware is installed?
Old 04-19-2018, 07:02 AM
Tech Adept

It's a Futaba 4kp with a stock r603fs receiver, servo is a savox 1268 high voltage. It has whatever firmware it shipped with, I'll have to see if I can find my hot wire or pick up a new one, and I'll try removing the sensor wire this Friday after I pick up a new spur and see what happens.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 AM
Tech Champion

It's a Futaba 4kp with a stock r603fs receiver, servo is a savox 1268 high voltage. It has whatever firmware it shipped with, I'll have to see if I can find my hot wire or pick up a new one, and I'll try removing the sensor wire this Friday after I pick up a new spur and see what happens.
It sounds more like a radio issue than anything. Especially with the servo going full left or right. Do you have any mixing in the radio? Are you running a gyro at all?

I would stand the antenna up fully to keep it away from the motor and esc wiring. Try unplugging the servo and driving it on the ground (if you have enough open space. Might not be possible on a track) and see if the motor cuts out as well. I'd also add a capacitor to the receiver.

Is the RSX set on 6 volts or 7.4 for the BEC? Do you have a less powerful motor you can try it with?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Dear Team Tekin help.

What I did:

Originally Posted by freebird View Post
Refer to your manual or Tekin help on their website for a "hard reset". Try that first; this will reset theESC back to factory settings and treat it as a new one out of the box. If the code reappears then contact Tekin service.
​Hard reset performed but the code still reappears. Please let me know how I may contact Tekin service?
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Adept

Thank you for the suggestions, i know the receiver and servo came out of a working car from a year ago, but I'll try unplugging the servo or try swapping both the servo and receiver out one at a time from a car that I know is working now. No gyro, the antenna was only like that for the photo, not sure what the voltage is set at, what ever the default setting is. Same with the radio, default profile then adjusted per tekins manual, then calibrated, then steering epa, I did swap to a known working profile for a car that had a similar motor and a rsx and had the same issue. I did have a 13.5 and 6.5 gen 3 motors one with a rsx but unfortunately both those 12th scales walked away about a week ago while at work with them, probably with my hot wire also.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Champion

​Hard reset performed but the code still reappears. Please let me know how I may contact Tekin service?
Sorry that didn't work for you.

Follow the instructions on this web page: https://www.teamtekin.com/service.html

You'll request an RMA number and then fill out the PDF with that number along with other info to be included when you mail it in.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Tech Champion

Thank you for the suggestions, i know the receiver and servo came out of a working car from a year ago, but I'll try unplugging the servo or try swapping both the servo and receiver out one at a time from a car that I know is working now. No gyro, the antenna was only like that for the photo, not sure what the voltage is set at, what ever the default setting is. Same with the radio, default profile then adjusted per tekins manual, then calibrated, then steering epa, I did swap to a known working profile for a car that had a similar motor and a rsx and had the same issue. I did have a 13.5 and 6.5 gen 3 motors one with a rsx but unfortunately both those 12th scales walked away about a week ago while at work with them, probably with my hot wire also.
Sorry about your other vehicles. Change one thing at a time and test it. Let us know what happens and we will try to narrow down what it could be.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Dear Team Tekin help.

What I did:

With the testing you've done I would agree IF you made 100% sure the motor type is on 1 2 or 3.

If that's indeed the case it's time to contact [email protected] and get the return started.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:06 PM
Team Tekin

You should make sure your receiver can handle the HV BEC. I know there are a few Futaba "sport" receivers that cannot, and will do exactly as you describe. Since the steering on a high speed car is better of slow rather than fast, I'd turn the HV BEC on the RSX off a a quick test.

Where is the 2.5T geared?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:12 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
You should make sure your receiver can handle the HV BEC. I know there are a few Futaba "sport" receivers that cannot, and will do exactly as you describe. Since the steering on a high speed car is better of slow rather than fast, I'd turn the HV BEC on the RSX off a a quick test.

Where is the 2.5T geared?
What is the default BEC set to? That's something that needs a to hotwire for, I just ordered a replacement that'll probably be mid next week before I see it. As for the receiver, I keep thinking the same thing, seems like it cuts out when the car hits a certain load. But out of curiosity, My TLR is running the same receiver, protek 170s servo, rx8/ pro 4 hd on 3s and I have no problems with that truck, BEC on the rx8 would be at factory setting.

Gearing was 75/35, stock spur. Just ordered a 66t spur.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:40 PM
Team Tekin

What is the default BEC set to? That's something that needs a to hotwire for, I just ordered a replacement that'll probably be mid next week before I see it. As for the receiver, I keep thinking the same thing, seems like it cuts out when the car hits a certain load. But out of curiosity, My TLR is running the same receiver, protek 170s servo, rx8/ pro 4 hd on 3s and I have no problems with that truck, BEC on the rx8 would be at factory setting.

Gearing was 75/35, stock spur. Just ordered a 66t spur.
Ok, a few things here.

Stock BEC voltage is 6v on all units.

Gearing a 2.5T motor 75/35 is not going to work, and the 66T spur will make it worse. If you're trying to dump the throttle with this setup you could be asking the battery to deliver over 500+ amps! I realize this is likely a high speed car, but you'll need to roll on the throttle a little bit here.
Understand that the ESC has NO control over the steering aside from powering the BEC. If you're amping out the battery in this manner, the BEC may get a ripple current through it the receiver cannot handle. A receiver cap may help squelch the noise and cure this, but the gearing you're trying to run isn't sustainable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service