Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba R304SB built in BEC...???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default Futaba R304SB built in BEC...???

Hello,

Will I need an external BEC if I'm running a Savox 1251 servo?
Or does this Rx have a built in BEC?

Many thanks...
Old 09-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

??? The BEC is either an external device or part of your ESC. What are you putting the 1251 in? You shouldnt need one more than likely.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkiiina
??? The BEC is either an external device or part of your ESC. What are you putting the 1251 in? You shouldnt need one more than likely.
Yes, I understand but I was reading that some Futaba Rx have a built in BEC.
I'll be running the Savox 1251 in a xb4 10th scale 4wd buggy.
I'll also be using a Hobbywing v3.1 esc.

I just purchased a Racers Edge glitch buster just incase of any Brown outs.
The Hobbywing v3.1 has two external caps so I should be good to go ������
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

RX's don't (for the most part) have BECs, the BEC steps down the voltage from the battery pack for all of the electronics except for the motor, so it is many times more logical to build it in with the ESC which is the median for the pack and motor. That ESC has a BEC built in. Also, the caps on that ESC are essential to regulate ripple voltage from the pack itself during amp draw from the motor, they aren't a substitute for caps meant to regulate the ripple voltage caused from servo amp draw. So to answer your questions:
1. No, unless you experience brown-outs even with the glitch buster caps (unlikely)
2. No.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RED-LINE M03
Yes, I understand but I was reading that some Futaba Rx have a built in BEC.
Where would the Rx get the power from?

The Rx is most often either powered by a battery or a battery holder with several cells, plugged into the battery socket. In electric R/C units with an ESC, there is a BEC built into many of them to provide the Rx power through the control wire plug to the throttle channel, which also signals the ESC, which then controls the speed of your electric motor. The power of the main battery is powering the ESC which distributes power to the motor and Rx via the BEC.

If the BEC in the ESC cannot handle the amperage draw of certain servos, or in the case of a nitro car if you want to use a battery with too high a voltage for the Rx you need an external BEC. (which should be called a step down regulator) it would be plugged into the Rx battery socket. If there is a BEC in the ESC it may need to be disabled to prevent conflicts with the added external BEC.

Futaba offers a step down regulator http://www.futaba-rc.com/accessories/futm0961.html so you can use a low voltage servo with a high voltage system. you need to be cautious and ensure that the Rx can handle the high voltage because not all Rxs can. That is part of the reason for a BEC otherwise you could just power it off a higher voltage main battery instead of needing a special Rx battery pack or BEC.

ESC = electronic speed controller
BEC = battery eliminator circuit.
Rx = reciever