R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Savox servo only jitters after crash (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/739693-savox-servo-only-jitters-after-crash.html)

Pointy71 06-24-2013 06:39 AM

Savox servo only jitters after crash

I use a Savox 1258TG in my Kyosho MP9e (1/8 buggy).

I crashed hard after a jump. Landed on a front wheel and broke an aluminum turnbuckle. Hard crash!

I fixed the turn buckle but there is an issue... When I switch electronics on the ESC goes nuts (lamps flashing) and the servo just jitters. I first thought I fried the ESC somehow but the same servo in a different ESC/RX combo has the same result. ESC goes nuts, servo jitters. Tried multiple ESC and multiple RX.

When not under power the servo can be turned. I opened it up; don't see anything wrong (like burned electronics). Gears also look fine and turn smoothly.

Conclusion: Servo fried... Somehow... :confused::confused:

Seen this before? I haven't. Can it be fixed?

meno1103 06-25-2013 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by Pointy71 (Post 12284628)
I use a Savox 1258TG in my Kyosho MP9e (1/8 buggy).

I crashed hard after a jump. Landed on a front wheel and broke an aluminum turnbuckle. Hard crash!

I fixed the turn buckle but there is an issue... When I switch electronics on the ESC goes nuts (lamps flashing) and the servo just jitters. I first thought I fried the ESC somehow but the same servo in a different ESC/RX combo has the same result. ESC goes nuts, servo jitters. Tried multiple ESC and multiple RX.

When not under power the servo can be turned. I opened it up; don't see anything wrong (like burned electronics). Gears also look fine and turn smoothly.

Conclusion: Servo fried... Somehow... :confused::confused:

Seen this before? I haven't. Can it be fixed?

Try this: take the servo apart (screws and gears). Plug it in and see if the motor spins smoothly. If it doesn't, turn the potentiometer (where the main output gear sits) and see if you can find a spot where the motor spins smoothly. If there is a spot, the pot is damaged (makes sense since the impact would reach it before traveling through all the gears and back to the motor gear). Unfortunately, I don't know of a place that sells specific replacement servo parts once/if you find the problem, but if the pot is bad, you may be able to get the servo working again by using a pot from a different servo. It may not have the same resolution (unless you can find out how many turns the original pot has) as when new but better than a paperweight.

neospud 06-25-2013 06:52 AM

the SC-1258TG is a bit below what people generally consider to be the minimum torque needed for a steering servo on 1/8 buggy. Might be worth considering something stronger.

RacerX11 06-25-2013 07:54 PM

How was your servo saver setup? I know any servo will fail if they take a hard enough hit to them without one.