Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HPI Flux Vektor 4800Kv - What kind of screws? >

HPI Flux Vektor 4800Kv - What kind of screws?

HPI Flux Vektor 4800Kv - What kind of screws?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? HPI Flux Vektor 4800Kv - What kind of screws?

Hello everyone,

Since this is my first post, I would like to greet all the members of this forum. I am a happy owner of HPI E-Firestorm Flux. I have a question regarding the motor in this model, (Flux Vektor 4800Kv, this is part number 106628 on HPI Racing website, I'm not allowed to post URL ). What kind of keys do I have to use to dismount it? I tried the Allen key 1.5 mm and 1/16 inch, but they do not work. I do not know what else to try. Any ideas? I would like to clean the motor inside.

Best regards,
Denis
Old 06-16-2013, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You will need more tools.
I would suggest not taking the motor apart until you gain more mechanical skills and knowledge. Brushless motors do not need much cleaning inside. The car itself I would clean constantly or as needed. The motor ? once or twice a year...
The standard motor screw is 3mm (thread diameter) and a socket head which would use a 3mm hex wrench. Your screw may vary.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by asc6000
The motor ? once or twice a year...
I drive this car for over a year, allways on dusty, offroad track. I think the motor is louder than at the beginning and I would like to look at the bearings.

Originally Posted by asc6000
The standard motor screw is 3mm (thread diameter) and a socket head which would use a 3mm hex wrench. Your screw may vary.
I am able to unscrew the motor from the car using 3mm hex. However I can't "open" it. There are six small screws on the motor.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you aren't able to get the screws out with either of those sizes, the best thing to do would be to use a thin cutting wheel to cut out a slot on the screw head to use a flathead screwdriver for removal. Those screws are usually thread-locked so they are usually stubborn. Generally, the front bearing wears much faster than the rear, as it is more open to debris. Brushless motors don't require maintenance other than bearing care, which involves oiling once in a while, or replacing them after they've worn. Worn bearings are usually the culprits of high pitched squealing noises.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by meno1103
... the best thing to do would be to use a thin cutting wheel to cut out a slot on the screw head to use a flathead screwdriver for removal.
I was afraid of that answer ;-)

Originally Posted by meno1103
Worn bearings are usually the culprits of high pitched squealing noises.
That's the sound which I am hearing.

Thanks for usefull ideas.

Cheers,
Denis
Old 06-18-2013, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One other thing you could try: if you have a torx t7 bit or driver laying around or can easily get one, it may get the screws out. I found that the t7 size fits snugly on 1.5 head screws when the screw hole is slightly larger and has slack with a 1.5 allen wrench.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello again,

I finally managed to open the motor. I used small handsaw with thin blade and made a slot on the screw. Then I used flathead screwdriver. I bought some new screws which have slightly larger head (for 2mm allen wrench). It turned out that bearings were ok. I only applied some grease on bushings and shaft. Tomorrow I will test if everything is ok.

Thanks,
Denis