Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Radio dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Radio dilemma

OK, so I started racing again after 10 years and switched from nitro to electric. I feel the radio is more important with electric due to the high torque at low speed. In order to get my mind to work with my car I need to tune out some response of the motor.

When I stopped racing I was using a KO Propo EX-I Mars. Now the world has gone to 2.4G and the loss of the antenna. I didn't realize how nice my Mars was and bought a GT3B. It lacks the features of my Mars and need to make a change.

At this point I can convert the Mars to 2.4 with the RF-903FH and KR-411FH at a cost of 160.00. Or...

It seems weird to upgrade my 13 year old radio for 160...Then again, what would I gain by buying a new radio which would cost me even more than the 160? The speed of the Mars is dependent on the TX and RX?

I did not have problems running on-road gas with my long antenna. Now I am running offroad and speed may be less of a need.

What advice or options do I have that is the most cost effective with the most 'bang for the buck'?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Airtronics MX-V or MT-4 are both solid. I sold my flysky for the MT4 and am planning on getting my kid the MX-V.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Master

yea if you're going to spend 160 on an old radio I'd spend a little more, I upgraded to an airtronics mt4 and love it for the price totally worth every penny, I like having all the tuning adjustments just from the radio and being able to use 1 radio for multiple cars
Old 05-29-2013, 07:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

I have an MT4 for bashing, my 4 yr old has an MX-V and I race with an M12 can't beat the Airtronics stuff, and tough as nails (my son made short work of a Flysky GT3C, an Axial 2.4ghz and a futaba 2pl, none lasted over a month, he's had the MX-V for nearly a yr now!)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Initiate

The Mars EX1 is a good radio packed with features. From the many posts I have read many like this radio's feel and function. I respect the answers thus far. However, what is the basis of the need to change radios? What is to gain over the mars? I have 2 mars ex1's.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rocksalt
OK, so I started racing again after 10 years and switched from nitro to electric. I feel the radio is more important with electric due to the high torque at low speed. In order to get my mind to work with my car I need to tune out some response of the motor.

When I stopped racing I was using a KO Propo EX-I Mars. Now the world has gone to 2.4G and the loss of the antenna. I didn't realize how nice my Mars was and bought a GT3B. It lacks the features of my Mars and need to make a change.

At this point I can convert the Mars to 2.4 with the RF-903FH and KR-411FH at a cost of 160.00. Or...

It seems weird to upgrade my 13 year old radio for 160...Then again, what would I gain by buying a new radio which would cost me even more than the 160? The speed of the Mars is dependent on the TX and RX?

I did not have problems running on-road gas with my long antenna. Now I am running offroad and speed may be less of a need.

What advice or options do I have that is the most cost effective with the most 'bang for the buck'?

Thanks in advance.
I took a 10 year break from racing too. When I came back, I ran my Futaba Magnum Jr A.M. radio for the first year before buying a better radio. I ended up with a Futaba 3PM-X and later with a Futaba 4PL.

I didn't have any problems with the A.m. radio. In fact, since no one uses AM or FM radios anymore I didn't have any frequency conflicts either The reason I upgraded was to get more features.... see here... http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...l#post12205813

Airtronics and Futaba still are great brands. The MT4 and M11 are great radios. So are the 4PL and 4PK series. The stuff from KO is still top notch too. Unless you need more features than what you've got on your present radio, I'd maybe just do the 2.4g upgrade and not worry about it any further.

Imho I'd stay away from Flysky and Spektrum radios.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM
Tech Initiate

MT4 it is!

Thanks all.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by cdwilliams1
I took a 10 year break from racing too. When I came back, I ran my Futaba Magnum Jr A.M. radio for the first year before buying a better radio. I ended up with a Futaba 3PM-X and later with a Futaba 4PL.

I didn't have any problems with the A.m. radio. In fact, since no one uses AM or FM radios anymore I didn't have any frequency conflicts either The reason I upgraded was to get more features.... see here... http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...l#post12205813

Airtronics and Futaba still are great brands. The MT4 and M11 are great radios. So are the 4PL and 4PK series. The stuff from KO is still top notch too. Unless you need more features than what you've got on your present radio, I'd maybe just do the 2.4g upgrade and not worry about it any further.

Imho I'd stay away from Flysky and Spektrum radios.
Everyone has an opinion. Personally in order of worst to best radios (in terms of breakage and weakness) I'd say

Futaba 4pl <--Biggest pile of c#ap I'd ever used, you sneeze, it breaks!
Flysky GT3-C <-- Power Switch shorts out causes flickering when you turn wheel.
Spektrum (Any) <-- Don't play nice with Baja's, Modules and earlier radios have very fragile TX Antennas which break easy. Range is poor.
Axial AX3 <--- Very fragile around steering wheel area.
Any Associated / Thunder Tiger 2.4ghz systems <-- Fragile Receivers
Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Everyone has an opinion. Personally in order of worst to best radios (in terms of breakage and weakness) I'd say

Futaba 4pl <--Biggest pile of c#ap I'd ever used, you sneeze, it breaks!
Flysky GT3-C <-- Power Switch shorts out causes flickering when you turn wheel.
Spektrum (Any) <-- Don't play nice with Baja's, Modules and earlier radios have very fragile TX Antennas which break easy. Range is poor.
Axial AX3 <--- Very fragile around steering wheel area.
Any Associated / Thunder Tiger 2.4ghz systems <-- Fragile Receivers
Out of curiousity, what broke on your 4pl?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Weak steering stops poorly moulded into the RH case, higher end radios have solid steering stops that are fixed, cheap radios have them moulded into the case, if the moulding process is flawed (ie air gets in the mix) it makes the stops very fragile and prone to breakage.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have experience with mar, ex-1 ur , Eurus, m11x , ko 2.4 module with ex-1ur and flysky module.
mars cpu is slow already, put a 2.4 g system on it , I guess it will become pretty slow.
radio speed and latency variation could be a non factor or a big factor for differnt indiviual.
mt-4 is a mid price , new generation radio without drop down and backlit , but it is light weight and pretty fast and reliable.
I suggest you try it out at a hobby shop and see the different in speed , weight and ergonomic. $160 is too much money to find out if it would be too slow or not, so if you really like the Mars , try to find used or borrow from a friend and see if the speed is acceptable.