Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with Trackmate Iridium RC lap counter

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Experience with Trackmate Iridium RC lap counter

In the process of setting up a garage track for myself and some friends. The Trackmate system is far cheaper than any other lap counting setup I've seen. For what I'm going to do it will set me back ~$285 for the whole setup including 5 transponders. Easily within my modest budget.

I'd like to know about people's experience with it. How long have you been using it? Your personal system or track you go to? Any problems, complaints, comments, concerns?
Old 10-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have been running this system for about 5 or 6 years. It's a great system! Worth every penny. The transponder will read through light coat of paint on the body but will not read through stickers. It is best to put it under a clear part in you body like the windshield or when painting a new body tape off a clear spot were you want it.
The customer service has been exceptional at trackmate. Any time I have a problem with a transponder they fix or replace them for free. even when it's because the wire got caught in a driveline or something completely my fault.
The software they give you for free is great and simple I used happily for years. But just recently I found some free software from flipside racing that is awesome. It speaks names and fastest lap times during the races also has the option to email race results and statistics to the racers after each race.
I highly recommend this lap counter. Transponders are cheap enough that people can buy there own. We have over 50 people with there own transponders here.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

I had pretty much forgotten about this post. Thanks for your feedback, now that colder weather is coming back I'm getting ready to gear up on this project again. Expect to place my Trackmate order within the next month or so.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

We have been using it as our race system for the past 3 years, both indoor on carpet and outdoor dirt track in the Summer. As the previous poster indicated, you do need a clear window for the IR to beem threw, but as a system, it has been very reliable, and for the price it can't be beat. We have been using LapsFree software with it.

It is perfect for a garage set-up, mainly due to price point. Would recommend it for your application.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

We've been running this system on an outdoor dirt offroad track for 3 years now and it's been fantastic, no complaints. We mount our transponders on the outside of the body near the base of the windshield on an sct or below the shock tower on an ebuggy and have virtually no issues. When we do it seems to be because they are plugged in backwards. We did have a few that just quit working this season and they are back to Dan being repaired right now. We use the lapsfree program but may have to give the flipside racing program a shot based on reaperacing's comments.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

I know this is an old post but i would like to konw how you guys got the laps free software to work with the trackmate iridum system.

i run flip side right now and its great but our group is getting big and i need a race manager program that can sort out my racers like laps free.

i keep getting the same error that the Amb controller not found.

I know its not an amb system but i had red that i had to put it on the amb20 setting on the right port (com7 in my case)

thanks for any help

Chuck
Old 04-26-2014, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 241 (100%+)

Chuck, check out this thread.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ansponder.html

Patrick got some good info from the guy at laps free. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to share. It turned out to be his adapter, once he switched he was fine. I'm not running the adapter that Patrick is and my system runs fine so I'm not sold on the idea that it was an adapter issue but it was a cheap fix.