Like Tree29Likes

TORO TS 120A ESC

Old 03-20-2014, 10:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Svendc View Post
ok, i have 2 Toro TS120A esc's with both i have the same problem with my reedy, trackstar and thunderpower motors:
In blinky and only turbo they are very smooth. But with boost it's like de sensor is broken. In low speed the motors runs not smooth anymore. Boost on 0 and it's over. With a hobbywing esc the motors and sensorcables are just fine with boost.
When i try a toro motor with the ts120 it works also fine on boost....
So is the toro TS esc made only for work properly with toro motors?

There are 2 levels of boost, 2 levels of turbo, 2 levels of punch.
Perhaps it is the way its been setup on your ESC.
I don't like running boost 1, perhaps boost 2.

This is what I have found. Boost gives you more torque or punch via timing. Its normally good for increasing MID-RANGE power. Not low. If you want more low end, increase your Punch 1 and Punch 2 settings.
Turbo increases the RPM at the high end.

You don't really want boost in low RPM, which advances the timing. At low rpms the motor likes almost no timing. If you have a lot of timing (via boost) it starts to cog the motor slightly and create more heat than necessary. As the motor gains RPM, it likes timing advance to create more power.

If I could, I would prefer to run negative timing at the start to create the more torque, and slow start to advance the timing curve as the RPM increases.

Try boost 1 at 0, and boost 2 (which is around 50% trigger or throttle) to around 5-10.

I normally prefer turbo over boost, for top end. I only use boost when I am on a tight track that has a lot of jumps that I need to clear with a short takeoff. If you don't need the extra power to clear a jump, then you don't need to have boost on.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

That's a great explanation Dino-D. Our tracks down here are outdoors and usually blown out. So for most of us we usually opt for a lower turn motor and set the punch and timing where we need it and zero out the turbo and boost. It seems to work out pretty good.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Beaker151 View Post
That's a great explanation Dino-D. Our tracks down here are outdoors and usually blown out. So for most of us we usually opt for a lower turn motor and set the punch and timing where we need it and zero out the turbo and boost. It seems to work out pretty good.
+1

I totally agree. I normally run punch#1 = 5 punch#2 = 10, and I sometimes go as low as 1-2 on punch#1. My 8.5 feels more like a 10.5 on acceleration but the top end and mid range is there.

I don't run boost much, unless its a hairpin with a short takeoff to a double or triple which normally doesn't happen unless the track designer didn't have his coffee while designing a new layout.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

I would also recommend for anyone using or getting a Toro TS120A esc to download the hobbywing v3.1 user manual. The TS120A escs come with a very basic manual and the HW v3.1 goes into much better detail and explanations of the tuning features that apply to the TS120A
Old 03-21-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Initiate

Default my experience with TS120A

my case history was this:

Race 1 , the esc was mounted right out of the box, no timing mode, motor LRP x12 13.5T Stock Spec , I try to set mechanical timing of the motor to 27.5 degrees with no problem at all, rising timing of motor to 32.5 degrees ahead all right, the race ran smoothly as two other friends in the same configuration .

Race 2 , with Esc updated to version 1.5, same motor with 37.5 of timing and beyond, the Esc donít work showing problems of cogging (the model start only if you push it initially).
Restored timing lowering it in various steps , up to 27.5 , the Esc donít work with same problems.

Meanwhile , the other two my friend, equipped with Toro , not updated , continue to racing without problems with motorís timing beyond 37.5 degrees !!!

At this point I think that the problem is in the update to version 1.5 of the firmware.

Now I donít know how to go back to the original version , because the program does not have a database versions and in any case I have not saved the original version , if I could do ...
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mafodda View Post
my case history was this:

Race 1 , the esc was mounted right out of the box, no timing mode, motor LRP x12 13.5T Stock Spec , I try to set mechanical timing of the motor to 27.5 degrees with no problem at all, rising timing of motor to 32.5 degrees ahead all right, the race ran smoothly as two other friends in the same configuration .

Race 2 , with Esc updated to version 1.5, same motor with 37.5 of timing and beyond, the Esc donít work showing problems of cogging (the model start only if you push it initially).
Restored timing lowering it in various steps , up to 27.5 , the Esc donít work with same problems.

Meanwhile , the other two my friend, equipped with Toro , not updated , continue to racing without problems with motorís timing beyond 37.5 degrees !!!

At this point I think that the problem is in the update to version 1.5 of the firmware.

Now I donít know how to go back to the original version , because the program does not have a database versions and in any case I have not saved the original version , if I could do ...
The newest firmware version is 1.7, you might want to update to that version and see if it fixes your issue.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 AM
Tech Initiate

on the Sky-rc website there is V.1.07 update usblink, but version number 1.07 is referred to updated software of LCD program card, on ESC it will install software version 1.05 ...
Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mafodda View Post
on the Sky-rc website there is V.1.07 update usblink, but version number 1.07 is referred to updated software of LCD program card, on ESC it will install software version 1.05 ...
My bad your right its 1.07. I have sent this link to some of my sponsored drivers and if they have a solution or answer they should respond. I will also see if I can get the previous versions of the firmware so that if guys want to go back to a previous version they can.

You can try sending a email to [email protected]
Old 03-21-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

i have found also GForce-esc V1.08 software, it's exactly the same program, but with newer software. It's like i think ,the toro ts120 is a good esc but not compatible with a big range of motors in boost modus. without boost, ( not even with 1 procent boost) it works just fine and smooth liks it should be. But why with model X and not with model Y motor i don't know.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

i have found also GForce-esc V1.08 software, it's exactly the same program, but with newer software. It's like i think ,the toro ts120 is a good esc but not compatible with a big range of motors in boost modus. without boost, ( not even with 1 procent boost) it works just fine and smooth liks it should be. But why with model X and not with model Y motor i don't know.
What is your punch setting and how many C is your battery pack? I know if you set the Punch setting too high. Try setting it to 10 and 15. Wth a low C battery its not smooth because your battery can't deliver enough power. Some motors draw more power (higher Amps) than others. And if you have too much timing built into the endbell. That is also problem. I tested the Toro120 with the 8.5 Reedy Mach2, Tekin, Speed Passion, and Thunder Power. I don't have any issues with it even when running boost. But I set all the motors to zero timing when running boost. If you crank the timing on the endbell to 20 plus running boost and turbo. Your motor will have way too much timing and draw too many amps which is wasted in heat. And if your battery can't deliver the current you will have a problem. I am running a brand name 65C lipos.

Race 2 , with Esc updated to version 1.5, same motor with 37.5 of timing and beyond, the Esc don’t work showing problems of cogging (the model start only if you push it initially).
Restored timing lowering it in various steps , up to 27.5 , the Esc don’t work with same problems.
27.5 timing on endbell? or software or both? Running so high timing kills bottom end power. Boost is for mid range. Turbo for top. If you set all the settings for high timing, then bottom end is gonna be bad. Low timing or 0 timing is better for low end. Thats probably the reason for your cogging.

Remember boost increases software timing thru the rpm range. The higher the rpm, the more software boost it runs. Are you running any deans connectors or are you using those 4mm battery posts? Remember boost increases software timing thru the rpm range. The higher the rpm, the more software boost it runs.

Are you geared too high on the motor?
Try updating the software.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

for the test i use a hobbywing trackstar 7.5t.
On motor i lower the timing to almost zero.
I use nvisions 90C lipo's 5500mA
i set 1ste punch rate at 5
2e punch at 15
with boost tested at 1 or 10 or 50 degr its the same issue
turbo 0 or 50 its the same issue , (but only when i use boost, turbo only no problem)
and its only by very low speeds or in low speed chicanes that the motor cogs.
ones i give fast full trottle i have no problem.
but on low speeds and slow trottle it cogs.
is only when i activate boost profile.

this with my 2 Toro ts120A esc, the only motor it runs smooth in boost is my toro 6.5t motor

Last edited by Svendc; 03-21-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Master

for the test i use a hobbywing trackstar 7.5t.
On motor i lower the timing to almost zero.
I use nvisions 90C lipo's 5500mA
i set 1ste punch rate at 5
2e punch at 15
with boost tested at 1 or 10 or 50 degr its the same issue
turbo 0 or 50 its the same issue , (but only when i use boost, turbo only no problem)
and its only by very low speeds or in low speed chicanes that the motor cogs.
ones i give fast full trottle i have no problem.
but on low speeds and slow trottle it cogs.
is only when i activate boost profile.

this with my 2 Toro ts120A esc, the only motor it runs smooth in boost is my toro 6.5t motor
I really can't think of anything else except maybe either the sensor wire or the sensor board on the motor may have a problem. The problem is with the Trackstar? How about a Reedy or another brand name motor?
Old 03-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Message from Sky-Rc received today :
"Hi Salvo,

Thanks for the feedback.

We will try to update the firmware to solve this problem of TS120 ESC.
I would like to keep you informed once it is ready.

Thank you.

Alvin"
Old 03-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dino_D View Post
I really can't think of anything else except maybe either the sensor wire or the sensor board on the motor may have a problem. The problem is with the Trackstar? How about a Reedy or another brand name motor?
On my TC6.2 with the Toro TS120 and de reedy mach 2 10.5 it's little bit better when i use boost. But with the 7.5 trackstar its much worse, but bezar it's only with use of boost. I think maby the sesorunit in combo with the boost software that gives te problem

Sven
Old 04-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Just registered on this forum to thank the participants in this thread. The tip about connecting the battery and esc with the USB cable to Skylink before running the software as administrator, actually meant I got the software running. (Instead of Chinese error message).

I just bought the Toro SC120A ESC as a replacement for my dead ESC in my HPI Savage XS truck. However, I'm having a strange problem that someone might know the cause for.
(I'm running 2S Lipos (40C/60C, 5200mah/6000mah, and the stock motor is 4000kv and sensorless).

The stock ESC that came with the truck enabled it to do standing backflips, and had a very linear feel to it (pushing the throttle 50%, gave me 50% power).

Now this new ESC, is very "soft" at startup. If I pull 100% throttle at standstill, the truck will accelerate "slowly" (no possibility of backflips) to about 50% speed, and usually (not always) not go any faster. If I then keep holding the throttle at 100%, the car will stay at around 50% speed for one-to-three seconds, before suddenly and abruptly accelerating to 100% speed. (This sudden acceleration can cause the car to backflip).

I've tried to toy around with the different setting for Punch Control etc, without much luck (I'm totally new to this, but I just put high and low values for different settings to see if anything helped). I know I've managed to program the ESC, cause I've changed the breaking power etc successfully.

So any pointers on things to check for is appreciated. If I want my truck to do standing backflips, what settings should I put into the ESC.?(Aka I want all power at startup)

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service