Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree34Likes

TORO TS 120A ESC

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Addict

I bought this esc with the believe that it would work on a 4-pole motor sensored. I wanted to add some turbo for more main speed. It doesn't so I am running it now sensorless and my motor doesn't have endbell adjustment. On my sct-pro the motor ran cooler with timing but I like the lower weight and size of the esc.

Hopefully they will add 4-pole functionality in sensored mode as a lot of manufacturers are putting out sub 550 4-poles out. Orion and Tenshock for instance.

Thanks for trying to help!

Last edited by nanoverse; 05-26-2014 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Thanks added. :)
Old 05-26-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nanoverse
I bought this esc with the believe that it would work on a 4-pole motor sensored. I wanted to add some turbo for more main speed. It doesn't so I am running it now sensorless and my motor doesn't have endbell adjustment. On my sct-pro the motor ran cooler with timing but I like the lower weight and size of the esc.

Hopefully they will add 4-pole functionality in sensored mode as a lot of manufacturers are putting out sub 550 4-poles out. Orion and Tenshock for instance.

Ok I know a guy using this esc with the tenshock x211 540 sensored 4 pole motor with no issues. Are you on the latest version of firmware.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 AM

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slim jim
I run the toro sc120 with a 4000kv 550 in my scte and the only thing i would want more would be the ability to run sensored. I got mine as a combo with a 4600kv for $103 shipped from japan to my door. it comes with a programming card but usb/pc programming would be nice too.

All told i'm very happy with the combo. just wish i had gotten it with the 4000kv instead of the 4600kv, since we've moved indoors to a virgin clay track that is smaller then the outdoor track which has closed, I had problems keeping the motor cooler. It was running at 150-160 after 6 min. the 4000kv comes of at 130-135 after 6 min.

Still running strong after weekly abuse.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Beaker151
Ok I know a guy using this esc with the tenshock x211 540 sensored 4 pole motor with no issues. Are you on the latest version of firmware.
SkyRc themselves said it doesn't run sensored/advanced timings with 4-pole. My speedo doesn't even turn on with the sensor cable attached. Yea it's the newest 1.05 or something. Unless they updated a week or so ago.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

SkyRc themselves said it doesn't run sensored/advanced timings with 4-pole. My speedo doesn't even turn on with the sensor cable attached. Yea it's the newest 1.05 or something. Unless they updated a week or so ago.
Ok I will address this with my skyrc rep to get some clear answers and hopefully if they are working on a resolution if needed.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Ok, so just to check you have the Toro 120 with a 1/10th 4 pole motor? I run a Toro 120 with my tenshock x211 4 pole in my wheeler with boost with no issues..
Old 05-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Addict

Nano where did you get your esc from? Is it the plastic or Aluminium model. Also I have run into cases where people will email skyrc with a question a get the wrong information. I have spent several months and countless hours on skype with my rep working with to be better with communication, product release, product improvements, better documentation and countless other items. So I will do all that I can to bring clear and consistent information to all of their products. So please don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi guys,
I have just bought the SkyRC 120 SCT blue version for my Durango DESC410 short course truck and are having a strange issue that maybe you guys could sort out for me.
The motor is a Skyrc 5,5 SC 4000kv motor with sensor. Everything is working perfectly good when the batteries are fully charged but at the end of my pack the problem is getting progressivly worse as voltage drops from the batteries.

I am running a cutoff voltage of 7 volts and the issue is that the motor/ESC starts cogging and sometimes it will not even get the truck moving.
You have to be really carefull on the throttle to get the truck moving. This is as I said only an issue when the battery voltage is begining to drop.

Do you think it is because the voltage cutout is manually to 7 volts?
I like to preserve my batteries and have about 20% percent left when cutout occurs, any lower setting and the battery is way to much depleted. Any other setting I could try to get rid of this issue? All other values on punch and turbo is default..Please help as this issue is really getting on my bad side and I hate that because I really like the ESC otherwise.

Software is updated to latest 1.07
Old 05-27-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flypilot
Hi guys,
I have just bought the SkyRC 120 SCT blue version for my Durango DESC410 short course truck and are having a strange issue that maybe you guys could sort out for me.
The motor is a Skyrc 5,5 SC 4000kv motor with sensor. Everything is working perfectly good when the batteries are fully charged but at the end of my pack the problem is getting progressivly worse as voltage drops from the batteries.

I am running a cutoff voltage of 7 volts and the issue is that the motor/ESC starts cogging and sometimes it will not even get the truck moving.
You have to be really carefull on the throttle to get the truck moving. This is as I said only an issue when the battery voltage is begining to drop.

I like to preserve my batteries and have about 20% percent left when cutout occurs, any lower setting and the battery is way to much depleted. Any other setting I could try to get rid of this issue? All other values on punch and turbo is default..Please help as this issue is really getting on my bad side and I hate that because I really like the ESC otherwise.

7v is way to high. I run mine at 6.0. I would run it at least 6.4v
Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Beaker151
Nano where did you get your esc from? Is it the plastic or Aluminium model. Also I have run into cases where people will email skyrc with a question a get the wrong information. I have spent several months and countless hours on skype with my rep working with to be better with communication, product release, product improvements, better documentation and countless other items. So I will do all that I can to bring clear and consistent information to all of their products. So please don't hesitate to ask.
I bought it from rcMart ages ago. It's the plastic model. Yeah, the communication was let's say not the best. But I really think that SkyRC is the new Hobbywing, they seem to innovate at a faster pace.

I have it connected to a HW 4-pole 4000kv motor. Bring it: Are you sure that the Tenshock goes into boosted? The red light is constantly on? Maybe it's just a problem with HW 4-pole? It's more of a 545 formfactor. I tried it also with a SKyrc SC speedo with turbo (that worked) but had a brainfart moment and burnt the speedo with my IP lipo.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

can someone please explain the turbo engage and disengage slopes
the esc lets you go from 1deg/0.1S - 64deg/0.1S (in 1° increment)

now the question i have, if i set the setting to say 30deg at 0.1s for both engage and disengage will this be quicker or slower then if i was to make it 50deg at 0.1s for also both.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flypilot
Hi guys,

Voltage cutoff to 6.0
With this motor you will need to be sure your batteries are up to the task. My guess is that this is the culprit. Turnigy nano 65-135c should take care of it.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Dan,
Yes I am pretty sure you are right about the cutout, but taking the batteries that low will damage them, in my opinion...

Is there any way one can get main battery voltage telemtry on the DX4s radio using the SR410 rx?

Thank you for your help
Old 05-28-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Addict

I have always set my lvc to 3.0 or 3.2 per cell regardless of the esc brand or model and I have yet to damage a battery. The higher demands of a SC pull the voltage down on a battery further on acceleration than most other platforms. It is because of this strain on the electronics that SC's are very hard and kill batteries. What capacity batteries are you running?
Old 05-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Running the cutoff at 7v? I hope you mean 3.5 per cell. I run my lvc at 2.8-3.0per cell . your cogging issue is your lvc working. So its not cogging. You have an improper lvc setting. Also change out your sensor cable if it is still happening after you change the lvc. And get rid of any bullets if you have them on the motor wires and solder directly to the motor tabs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.