Lipo short, advice please?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Lipo short, advice please?

Hi all.

I had an accident today.
while i was plugging my lipos on the balance board, somehow i heard a bang that scared me **less, i quickly disconnected everything and ran with the lipos outside, just in case.

Lipos seem to be ok, and hold their voltage.

This is what I believe happened.

The balance taps on my lipos are very short (well aren't they all) so to plug them into the board I use 2x extenders.

on closer inspection, one of the cabled (negative) from one of the extender was blown, but I also saw that the connection between the cable and the plug had no solder and was clean off.

my impression is that the solder joint was bad and snapped from the connector and touched the contact next to it shorting it for a fraction of a second.

do you think the lipos are still safe to use?

PS: I understand the dangers of lipos, and always charge them in a liposack as a bare minimum precaution.

PS2: i miss using my A123s lower capacity but no risk of fire :-/
Old 03-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Has it puffed? If not, you're good...just keep an eye on it for the next few charging cycles. What im not understanding is why you need two balance plug extensions?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aussiebuddha
Hi all.

I had an accident today.
while i was plugging my lipos on the balance board, somehow i heard a bang that scared me **less, i quickly disconnected everything and ran with the lipos outside, just in case.

Lipos seem to be ok, and hold their voltage.

This is what I believe happened.

The balance taps on my lipos are very short (well aren't they all) so to plug them into the board I use 2x extenders.

on closer inspection, one of the cabled (negative) from one of the extender was blown, but I also saw that the connection between the cable and the plug had no solder and was clean off.

my impression is that the solder joint was bad and snapped from the connector and touched the contact next to it shorting it for a fraction of a second.

do you think the lipos are still safe to use?

PS: I understand the dangers of lipos, and always charge them in a liposack as a bare minimum precaution.

PS2: i miss using my A123s lower capacity but no risk of fire :-/
Should be ok to use. You cant really pull alot of amps thu the balance wires.

Probably needed two of them because there are some short ones out there.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

I've seen balance extensions sold up to 24" long. There is no reason to need more than that.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Guys.

The 2x balance extensions were for the 2 batteries connected in series onto the board, not 2 for the same battery.

I think it was completely my fault though, and not the balance extender problem, besides the fact that is not insulated on one end (something i'll be fixing with heat shrink)

I think I plugged them in the wrong order!
first I plugged in the balance taps onto the board (series balance board) and later when I plugged the series adapter I messed up which one first!

batteries look OK, with no signs of problems or puffing.

scary stuff though, think before you plug!

PS: On closer inspection both balance extenders show signs of damage (one on the negative cable, the other on the positive cable) those two are probably the ones that shorted due to plugging them the wrong way!

Last edited by aussiebuddha; 03-30-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah be careful with your hookups. I would have pissed myself if heard that BANG when plugging in those cables!!