R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Old 03-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Need radio for a new racer

This spring i will be hoping to compete in the 17.5 blinky sc class at my local hobby shop. so far i have compiled a list of things that i have bought so far, if you have any other suggestions besides my list feel free to add thanks.

used hpi blitz with jr 9000s servo, tekin 17.5 redline gen 1, revtech 6000mah batt and proline shocks
ordered a speedpasion Cirtix Stock Club Race ESC
Thunder AC680 charger

i need a radio and was looking at the Airtronics MX-V

but would not rule out a mt-4 or 4pl if there is a good reason to do so.
vincer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Futaba 4pl.

If you want to splurge get the 4pks-r
ATXPro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

any reason a newbie would need so much radio?
Old 03-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Probably no reason for a 4pk

Something like a 4pl isn't a huge jump in cost and you will want it later.
ATXPro4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

so in that price rang we got the spektrum dx4s, futaba 4pl and the airtronics mt-4. Im going to assume that most of these are similar and its just about preference on brand than any other factor.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincer20 View Post
so in that price rang we got the spektrum dx4s, futaba 4pl and the airtronics mt-4. Im going to assume that most of these are similar and its just about preference on brand than any other factor.
Pretty much. They're all good radios. Personally i like my futaba 4pl. Any of those three choices you'll be happy with. As for needing "that much radio", you will appreciate those features when your experience and racing career progress. Better to have them and not use them, rather to not have them when you need them.

---------"Blessed are those who get to race year round"---------
Rockthecatbox21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The MX-5 from what I have read is a good track radio. The only put off is the white wheel. Some take it off and paint it black. I wouldn't be bothered by it.
platgof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #8
Tech Adept

I had the cheap RTR that came with my sc10 for a while. Replaced it with a spektrum DS3x. Great little radio, it is cheap and worth a look. I just bought a KO Propo EX-1 KIY. Not that I am the best racer at the track and nor do I need all those features, but it is has the stick steering adapter. I hate the wheels. There is a difference in Futaba/KO/Airtronics vs. the Spektrum stuff. Both are great products but you will realize you get what you pay for. Bunch of my buddies just bought 4pl's and love them.
KO KIY
Ivegotklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anything Futaba or Airtronics. Stay away from Spektrum.
Deluxe312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincer20 View Post
Well, that's sort of true.

From a technology perspective... Spektrum uses an older technology called Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (or DSSS) whereas every other radio manufacturer has moved on to a newer technology called Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS). There are roughly 80-90 channels available inside the 2.4ghz spectrum. DSSS selects two channels when it is turned on and flips between the two when it detects interference. The two channels are chosen at random, and could both potentially be next to each other, where interference will knock both out. FHSS scans for 3-5 open channels spaced across the band and continually hops between them to ensure you are transmitting in the clear. The hopping and spacing them apart is much better for avoiding interference.

What does this mean to you? The newer technology is much better at avoiding radio noise when a lot of radios are turned on. So if you are in an environment where between the racers and people in the pits there might be more than around 16 radios turned on at any given time, you will start to see interference in the Spektrums. Not all the time, but occasionally. Around 25-30 radios turned on simultaneously before you start to see problems with the better technology other manufacturers use. Again it might not knock you out, it might just be a momentary glitch, but you'll notice it.

Additionally, Spektrum is susceptible to interference from older cheap chinese FlySky radios. It's entirely the FlySky's fault but it knocks out Spektrum radios. If there is anyone at your track using these cheapo radios, I'd steer clear of Spektrum.

Now unless you are routinely attending large club racers (I don't know how big your local track is) or go to events like the Snowbirds, you'll probably not notice the difference in brand or technology. If you're in a class of 8-10 people and the people in the pits have their radios off it isn't going to matter which technology you pick. If you are a larger club, you might see issues. But then again, why put yourself in a position with inferior technology and possibly have to buy another radio all over again and learn a different system? I'd just get the better technology the first time. Pick an Airtronics or Futaba
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Me too

Im thinking of getting the DX4S
CagomoC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

My son and i run Spektrum DX2S and DX3S. His 2 is in a T4.1 RTR with the stock electronics and has no issues during a race. I have the 3S with a 3300T rx in my B4.2 with a Tekin RS esc and Savox 1258 servo and in my T4.2 with a Orion R10 Pro esc and Spektrum 6040 servo? Horrible! The B4 Glitches just sitting on the starting line and has some serious steering issues during a race. The T4 will "stall" a couple times in a heat race for about 1-2 seconds. Everyone at my track said it was the Spektrum set up. Just tried a buddies 4PL and both cars were flawless. Im guessing the higher quality electronics i use just are not compatible the the Spektrum design as my son has no issues. I have even tried switching radios and rx with him with no luck. My advice is to step into the MT-4 or 4PL.
JayBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:55 AM   #13
Tech Initiate

Radiopost makes a nice radio the TS401. Switchable for LH and RH. I'm a lefty so from the get go my choices are severely limited. It was designed around ergonomics. I set myself up with a package deal that they have available for $329.00. Radio, 5 channel receiver and a very nice hardcase.
deeretrax is offline   Reply With Quote