Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Steel or titanium servo gears

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default Steel or titanium servo gears

I am a die hard Savox guy. I am in the market to buy some new servos was wondering what are the pros and cons between steel and titanium gears. I have 3 1256TG's that I use now but saw the SC1232SG and wondered how it would hold up for 1/8 scale racing?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigcountry7277
I am a die hard Savox guy. I am in the market to buy some new servos was wondering what are the pros and cons between steel and titanium gears. I have 3 1256TG's that I use now but saw the SC1232SG and wondered how it would hold up for 1/8 scale racing?
It will depend on how the steel or titanium is alloyed but generally steel is heavier than titanium and tends to bend rather than fractures like Ti. The inertia will be greater with steel so it will be minimally slower to start and stop because of steel's mass. The best point is that it's less expensive.

Steel should hold up to 1/8 scale as well as Ti.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

lets get some facts.. True 100% titanium does not fracture nore does it break.. so when they say titanium it is NOT.. its a alloy with a small amount of titanium in it less than 1%..
It is virtually indestructible.. I have a titanium hammer I made in 1979.. I use it every day its the size of a 5 lb maul but 2 lbs..not a scratch on it nor dent nor a crack Just some fyi..

so when u buy ti geared servo your paying for something that is just not TITANIUM..

a good steel gear servo willl be just as fast and last just as long as a fake ti gear one..
Just the truth..
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Can't really judge the materials unless you know the mix. There are many types of steel, some much stronger than titanium. There are generally two types of titanium alloy used in RC. The softer and generally weaker than steel mix of 3% aluminum 2% vanadium and the very strong and stiff 6% aluminum and 4% vanadium. No one uses pure titanium. As far as I know, I work in aerospace, no one uses pure titanium because it's a fairly soft metal unless mixed with other metals.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

That makes alot of since. I may jus go with another 1256tg but really wanted to see the differences and wondered if I really need TG or SG.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you ever strip or break metal gears, your doing something wrong.