Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
How do you make lipos last longer? >

How do you make lipos last longer?

How do you make lipos last longer?

Old 03-12-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? How do you make lipos last longer?

I have 3 or 4 lipos now and I was wondering how can I increase there lifespan?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monkeyman101
I have 3 or 4 lipos now and I was wondering how can I increase there lifespan?
I have found that storing them fully charged will result in a shorter life than storing them with a storage charge, about half of their voltage or about 3.85V per cell. Doing so I have a few years on some of my older less used packs.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Tech Champion

+1 Don’t leave them sitting at full charge. Keep them at storage voltage when not in use, generally in the 3.75 to 3.85V per cell range. Charge just before use.

Don’t let them get hot. Don’t leave them sitting in the sun, in a parked car in the sunlight, etc. Store them in a cool place like a basement. Some use the fridge, but be careful with condensation, use a freezer bag, let them warm up completely before charging.

Don’t over discharge them. Use a conservative LVC setting in the 3.2 to 3.4V per cell range. Stop as soon as you notice a drop off in performance.

Don’t charge or use them cold. If it’s chilly out keep them in a pocket (careful with the wiring!) or something to keep some heat in them.

Consider short charging, not charging all the way. Some of the better chargers have settings for this. Also avoids all the time at the end of the CC/CV charge routine, which is very slow, little capacity is added, can actually increase fun time.

Don't let them sit unused for long periods. Cycle them once a month or so.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Tech Champion

When they are not in use, i put them in plastic container and leave them inside refrigerator.

Dont store the lipo cells fully charged. 60 pct - 70 pct is okay.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave H
+1 Don’t leave them sitting at full charge. Keep them at storage voltage when not in use, generally in the 3.75 to 3.85V per cell range. Charge just before use.

Don’t let them get hot. Don’t leave them sitting in the sun, in a parked car in the sunlight, etc. Store them in a cool place like a basement. Some use the fridge, but be careful with condensation, use a freezer bag, let them warm up completely before charging.

Don’t over discharge them. Use a conservative LVC setting in the 3.2 to 3.4V per cell range. Stop as soon as you notice a drop off in performance.

Don’t charge or use them cold. If it’s chilly out keep them in a pocket (careful with the wiring!) or something to keep some heat in them.

Consider short charging, not charging all the way. Some of the better chargers have settings for this. Also avoids all the time at the end of the CC/CV charge routine, which is very slow, little capacity is added, can actually increase fun time.

Don't let them sit unused for long periods. Cycle them once a month or so.

Just putting a number to "short charging" ... have charger stop at 4.18v/cell. The OP might not have understood.