Ko ex1 kiy or m12?

Old 01-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Ko ex1 kiy or m12?

Anyone had a chance to use both these radios? For me, I'm committed to Airtronics due to all my receivers from my M11x but am very curious as to how these radios stack against each other. I've always been a ko guy and think the eurus is a better build radio than the m11x, but after trying the m12, it is in a different class compared to previous gen radios. Wondering if the new KIY has the same advantage over the m12 similar to the eurus over the m11x?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I have used both and own a KIY radio. Honestly they are both premium radios. My KIY has been solid with out any problems. Its simple to program and jump classes. Nice feature is you can set different color LED's for each class which makes it easy to identify if you have bad eyes.

My favorite part of the KIY is the drop down wheel. You can adjust it anyway imaginable. But the most common negative of this radio is little top heavy and can take few days to get use to it.

My experience with the m12 was great as well. Its much more compact and lighter. I didn't get to spend to much time with it though. Switching from the KIY to the m12 made the m12 feel little less adjustable because it didn't have a drop down wheel. I think it comes down to feel. If you can try them both out you cant go wrong.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Chase1472 View Post
I have used both and own a KIY radio. Honestly they are both premium radios. My KIY has been solid with out any problems. Its simple to program and jump classes. Nice feature is you can set different color LED's for each class which makes it easy to identify if you have bad eyes.

My favorite part of the KIY is the drop down wheel. You can adjust it anyway imaginable. But the most common negative of this radio is little top heavy and can take few days to get use to it.

My experience with the m12 was great as well. Its much more compact and lighter. I didn't get to spend to much time with it though. Switching from the KIY to the m12 made the m12 feel little less adjustable because it didn't have a drop down wheel. I think it comes down to feel. If you can try them both out you cant go wrong.
Thanks Chase,
The m12 does come with the drop down and angular steering wheel plate to adjust the steering wheel angle, all be it that it's not as adjustable as the optional ko wheel.
How was the fit and finished of the KIY compared to the m12?
Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

wait for the m12x
Old 03-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

im stuck between this choice too. love kiy design but diggin m12 for integrating antenna in system. spent alot of $$$ replacing antennas. now kiy has a v2 version that bumps up performance. im leaning towards ko for looks and all those accessories!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Tech Initiate

You would be very happy with either of these radios. I use a kiy and like it a lot.
I just wish they would release a lipo for it, and there really isnt a good carrying case out that fits the 3D wheel.

Lots of guys love the M12. It has lipo, protek makes a carrying case, and they are easy to put a wrap on.

Both radios are excellent
Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Flux View Post
You would be very happy with either of these radios. I use a kiy and like it a lot.
I just wish they would release a lipo for it, and there really isnt a good carrying case out that fits the 3D wheel.

Lots of guys love the M12. It has lipo, protek makes a carrying case, and they are easy to put a wrap on.

Both radios are excellent
well ko released a pricey case http://www.shop.kopropoamerica.com/i...roduct_id=1417 but it looks like you have to remove the wheel or stick every time? I thought you can select battery type on kiy so you can use regular lipo?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have both, going to sell the kiy, I think. I have been a KO guy forever. The second I started using the kiy I started to struggle. The drop down wheel doesn't lock down solid and would lose its steering trim in the middle of races. The wheel is to small and makes my hand cramp. I was going to switch back to my EX10 Eurus. I work at a large hobby store part time , and my rep at Global sold me a M12 at unbelievable price. The M12 balance and wheel feels so much better, no more hand cramps. It feels way more connected to the car and I don't have to worry about it loosing trim. I been running the M12 for two weeks and my struggles have went away. I recommend the M12 over kiy.

Last edited by msandman; 03-11-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

My m12 came with a drop down wheel, and it is adjustable. It also came with diffrent grip and wheel sizes. That stuff is $120 option from KO.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by msandman View Post
I have both, going to sell the kiy, I think. I have been a KO guy forever. The second I started using the kiy I started to struggle. The drop down wheel doesn't lock down solid and would lose its steering trim in the middle of races. The wheel is to small and makes my hand cramp. I was going to switch back to my EX10 Eurus. I work at a large hobby store part time , and my rep at Global sold me a M12 at unbelievable price. The M12 balance and wheel feels so much better, no more hand cramps. It feels way more connected to the car and I don't have to worry about it loosing trim. I been running the M12 for two weeks and my struggles have went away. I recommend the M12 over kiy.
very nice to know thanks

Last edited by hotdognobun; 03-16-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I own a K.I.Y and love it. Used to have an m11x, tried a mates m12 but didn't like it. The ko has a more solid and well built feel and seems more like a precise instrument than the cheap plastic feel of the m12. Both are awesome radios, yes KO is more expensive but the quality is superior.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by msandman View Post
My m12 came with a drop down wheel, and it is adjustable. It also came with diffrent grip and wheel sizes. That stuff is $120 option from KO.

It also has adjustable trigger I love my M12 I had the Spektrum dx3r pro the M12 is soooo much better and you really feel connected to the car the response is fast compared to the Spektrum