Wiki Posts
Search

Sidewinder SV2 Up in Smoke!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Default Sidewinder SV2 Up in Smoke!

So I've had a Sidewinder SV2/6900kv setup on my basher TT-01 with about 2 5000mah 2s packs through it. Purchased about 1 year ago from a LHS and no longer have the receipt.

Today I took it for a spin in my work parking lot that was a little wet from the previous night's rain. I guess the water on the parking lot caused enough splashing where some water had accumulated near the CAPs.

I see some smoke billowing out from that area and I turned it off. Now it won't power back on so I figure it's fried.

Anything I can do at this point in terms of warranty as Castle claims the SV2 is splash resistant. I did not submerge the ESC at all an in fact it looks brand new still.

I have other ESC's I can use so no biggie if I can't get anything from Castle. But just wondering on their warranty without receipt...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Try taking it back to hobby shop and ask if they will send it in for you. My LHS has sent mine back twice with no receipt. Just had to pay $8 for shipping. Took like a month to get back also.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 AM
Tech Master

Good idea!! Totally forgot about that one. Yeah my LHS sent in my MMM V2 when it poofed up on me.

Hope they dont need a receipt...I still have the original box though lol.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

I'm sure they will have no problem sending it back for you with no receipt. They don't need one to send it back since they are dealer. I poofed three of the first version of the MMM. Every time they were trying to blame it on the batteries I was using but learned later that wasn't the case. One good thing is Castle has excellent customer service. They just take awhile to get back.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by huzzler
I'm sure they will have no problem sending it back for you with no receipt. They don't need one to send it back since they are dealer. I poofed three of the first version of the MMM. Every time they were trying to blame it on the batteries I was using but learned later that wasn't the case. One good thing is Castle has excellent customer service. They just take awhile to get back.
I never dealt with Castle before but all my ESC's are Castle lol. I have 3 Mamba Micro Pros, 4 Sidewinder SV2's, 2 original Sidewinders, and 3 Mambda Monster Max....oh and like at least 4-5 Castle 10A External BEC's lol.

Hitec has great customer service as well which is why all my servos are Hitec. I had an old 3 year old 7955TG with a burnt out motor and they did the repair free of charge AND replaced the titanium gears! I also received 3 Hitec 645MG's too since they kept having glitching issues on my light weight cars.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

I've had several SV2 ESCs go up in smoke. Also, they overheat quite easily. Bite the bullet and get a used MMP and you'll never look back.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by shagnat
I've had several SV2 ESCs go up in smoke. Also, they overheat quite easily. Bite the bullet and get a used MMP and you'll never look back.
Just put a fan on your SV2 and you will have a MMP. Pretty much same esc just MMP has different case with built in fan.