Search

novak gtb 2 xdrive- how do u like yours

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default novak gtb 2 xdrive- how do u like yours

Hello,

Im considering picking one of these up to replace my old sphere tc spec v2 and wondering what you guys think about it that own or have had experience with one. I will be in 2wd 17.5 buggy and for the price seems like the best choice, i also like that they are made in USA and repair center in Irvine is local for me. I was also curious about reliability, seems like there are a few post in here with motor board failures, wonder how the ESC is though.

Redrc was the only real review I could find and they seemed to really like it, I'm just looking for more programing over my lrp.

-------
Edit:
Basically for stock 17.5 racing is it worth getting a high end ESC? What would it have that this one doesnt?
-----,-,
Thanks

Last edited by 66Racer; 12-06-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have one in my 17.5 truck, I like it!!! I have a second one that I'm putting into my touring car I'm thinking
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

IT's a nice speedo. I also like that you can program it without a special programming box or hooking up to a PC. You can program it directly with button presses and watching the LED lights flash. That's pretty cool. Drives nice. Brakes aren't as strong as I would like, but then again, it's pretty rare to brake in oval racing for me
Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, how smooth is the throttle response? 1/12 scale really taught me throttle control and going back to my 1/10 scale lrp feels less smooth, almost switch like as an exaggeration. That's my biggest concern since it seems to have all the programming features i would need
Old 12-08-2012, 01:46 AM

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I have most of the current Novak ESCs and though I like the GTB2, the Havoc Pro is a much better choice in my opinion. With Stock Truck, I was able to notice how much more smooth the Havoc Pro is. It's around an additional $20, but well worth it if you can swing it.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
I have most of the current Novak ESCs and though I like the GTB2, the Havoc Pro is a much better choice in my opinion. With Stock Truck, I was able to notice how much more smooth the Havoc Pro is. It's around an additional $20, but well worth it if you can swing it.
Thanks, was that the sc version? I have been hearing good things about the SP reventon pro, have you tried one to compare with the novaks? I use their gt2.1 in my 1/12 and was happy with it but was surprised how Novak is made in the USA and that factors into my decision too.

I can afford a havok pro but liked the low profile of the gtb2 lp. I wonder if there is a LP heatsink for it too.

Last edited by 66Racer; 12-08-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 AM

I don't own any SP products, but a buddy is running one in his F104 V2 car. I got to take it for a few laps and yeah, this thing was smooth! Probably the best I've ever played with. The guys that run them locally have good success with them, otherwise, I don't know much about them.

The Havoc Pro has the same footprint as the GTB2. Its actually 1/16" shorter than the tall GTB2 and 3/16" taller than the low profile. As far as programming, the GTB2 is considered a "spec" ESC and has only basic adjustments. The Havoc Pro does have additional programming available (timing). If you're running Stock class, you may not be able to run timing.

If you're looking for something small in the Novak line, check out the Edge. It's tiny! I'm running one in my Daughter's 17.5 Stock buggy and one in my Stock 17.5 SCB. They both have been working well for several months now.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Deja Vu
I don'wouldn't ny SP products, but a buddy is running one in his F104 V2 car. I got to take it for a few laps and yeah, this thing was smooth! Probably the best I've ever played with. The guys that run them locally have good success with them, otherwise, I don't know much about them.

The Havoc Pro has the same footprint as the GTB2. Its actually 1/16" shorter than the tall GTB2 and 3/16" taller than the low profile. As far as programming, the GTB2 is considered a "spec" ESC and has only basic adjustments. The Havoc Pro does have additional programming available (timing). If you're running Stock class, you may not be able to run timing.

If you're looking for something small in the Novak line, check out the Edge. It's tiny! I'm running one in my Daughter's 17.5 Stock buggy and one in my Stock 17.5 SCB. They both have been working well for several months now.
Yeah gonna run stock class so wouldnt be able to use timing, but its nice it has it. So the havok pro you have is a pro sc? so throttle feels smoother over the gtb2, do you think it might be because the timing options? While the sp rev is so tempting i think i wanna go novak because of being made in the usa.

BTW, that's a nice 70 mustang, I have a 66 I have done some work to, but of course body and paint hasn't been done yet lol
Old 12-08-2012, 08:58 AM

To be honest, I don't know all the inside details on any ESCs. I've never liked electricity...I can't see it, so I don't understand it lol. I don't run timing in any of my equipment, so it's likely not the reason the Havoc Pro seems more smooth. I have several Novaks including the Havoc, Havoc Pro and Havoc Pro SC. All have done a great job so far. I prefer the Pro SC, but that's likely because I do well with the trucks I have the ESCs mounted in lol.

A friend of mine is an excellent Buggy/Stadium Truck driver. I loaned him one of the Havoc Pro SCs recently and even he commented on how smooth it is. Recently, any time I have had trouble with any ESC, I replace it with the Pro SC.

Hope this helps
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Sure has thanks a lot! Think you reaffirmed my decision with Novak. I guess I need to make the choice on pro sc or gtb2 LP now haha.

I used to be nitro only till a few years back when lipo and ac motors hit, finally good run times!! Lol