Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

3PK - Spektrum System

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I just upgraded one of my 3PJS to a 3PKS and it doesn't look like the module cover will fit over the Spektrum Pro module. I'll try, again, but I really don't want to damage that cover.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The cover is a tight fit.But it fits!! Just push down on it as you slide it back. The two prongs that hold the cover in place will ease into place. Just go easy and use firm but reasonable pressure.

Also - you will need to modify the cover plate to clear the antenna. Just dremel out a small semi-circle section or lengthen the cut-out. See where the grey module ends and the cover starts on the picture! Easy!

Hope that helps.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just tried, again, and it does fit. The tabs that hold down the cover get in the way to try to slide the cover on the 3PKS w/ Spektrum Pro Module, but it does fit with some tinkering.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

newbe to the 3pks . can you tell a big difference between the spektrum pro and 2.4ghz fasst system. is the hrs system faster . im used to running a m11 with spektrum pro
thanks for any help
Old 11-03-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by nazprerunner
newbe to the 3pks . can you tell a big difference between the spektrum pro and 2.4ghz fasst system. is the hrs system faster . im used to running a m11 with spektrum pro
thanks for any help
I too would like to know if there is any difference I just sold my DX3 and hoping to get a 3PK Super but have only found them bundled with Fm or FASST Modules, they used to be bundled with Spektrum Pro as I saw at RCmushroom but they vanished. I like the FASST because it has a higher resolution, a faster bit rate and a faster refresh rate (75Hz compared to Spektrum's 50hz even on Pro and HRS Modules). Things I don't like about it is the buldge sticking out of the receiver, receiver antenna being coaxial and cannot be bent at 90 degress or will glitch, ugly looking antenna on Tx module and shorter range (about 150m/500feet) compared to the Spektrum's claimed range of 3000ft (1000m), Having to activate the failsafe every time you use it in PPM mode (does not happen in HRS Mode). On the Spektrum you just set it and forget it. The Futaba FASST uses FHSS (Frequency Hopping Spread Spektrum) which switches channel very 2 milliseconds or so, they say it does not stay on a channel long enough for a glitch, even tho I never had a glitch using the DX3 which is DSSS (Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum) this system searches for a free channel on the 2.4Ghz band and when it finds one it stays on that channel.

The Futaba FASST does not have the ability to use Telemetry unlike the Spektrum Pro which has the ability to use Telemetry, except for the HRS module which has only 2 channels and no telemetry capability. The Latency on the Spektrum Pro is 3ms (milliseconds) while on the HRS is 2ms, I doubt that many will notice the difference, although some will. When using HRS mode either with the FASST system or the special Spektrum HRS module it is compulsory that you use digital servos to gain from the use of HRS and also if not damage to the receiver and servo may result. The Spektrum technology has been out longer AFAIK and many people are satisfied with it, the availability of parts and receivers is possibly better as I do not see alot of spare FASST receivers floating around especially in OZ. Another system which people may be interested in is the Nomadio range or radios such as the Sensor and react, personally I do not like the cheap plastic and design that they use but their features will possibly make up for that. The Sensor does have built in telemetry but I doubt that you will ever look at the screen while racing, the refresh rate on the Nomadio is also faster at 100Hz and a latency time of 2ms. The radios are also lighter, have the capability of having software updates via USB connection and using it as a game controller. But out of all the two they are both high quality units. Another feature on the FASST receivers is a RS232 connection which can be plugged into a computer and be used as a frequency scanner on the 2.4Ghz spectrum to see available channels and so fourth. Spektrum's range on receivers is also better as they have the standard SR3000 which is a 3 channel receiver with telemetry capability, the Pro receiver SR3001 with a fuel proof case and a better looking smoked case with a lower latency time of 3ms compared to the 5.6ms of the standard grey case systems, and finally a micro sized receiver for 1/18th scale and pan cars with a fuel proof case also but lacks the telemetry capability.

The FASST receivers also have dual diversity antennas which mean it has two antenna one internal and one external, the receiver will use the antenna with the strongest signal reducing dropouts and loosing control of the car/boat. This is also the reason for the buldge on the receiver. The first generation of FASST receivers I believe had no antenna but, Futaba then added an external antenna because on some cars the location of the Receiver was under carbon fiber and this would reduce range and make it more likely for the signal to dropout. I wish someone would make a comparison between the two, as I have only seen the comparison between a Nomadio Sensor and a Spektrum DX3. I still have some more time before I get some extra cash to actually get the system so I will possibly do some more research but so fasr I have had a look at all the threads and pages regarding both systems and still none of them have told me anything new that I already had known.