R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Turnigy Trackstar 120 A 1 cell esc (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/669181-turnigy-trackstar-120-1-cell-esc.html)

cbl 10-11-2012 08:40 AM

Turnigy Trackstar 120 A 1 cell esc

Has anyone tried the Trackstar 120A 1s esc for 1/12?

Here is the link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Thanks in advance.

btsai 10-11-2012 01:54 PM

I've been running it in my 1/12 car -- which I got about 3-4 months ago. Motor is a Revtech 17.5. I'm still a (re)newbie*, so I'm not sure what I can tell you. Has worked fine for me and as far as I can tell, it's as fast as the other cars.

As I get better (I hope!), I may find that it is holding me back from being competitive, but for now I can't tell the difference. And of course, the price is right.

(* -- raced back in the 80's some, but this is really like starting over...)

cbl 10-11-2012 05:59 PM

Thanks for the response. I am considering this esc because I will be running 1/12 again. I don't have too much spare time to run my RCs, I'm lucky if I can run every 3 mos. that's why I don't want to spend much for a 1s esc that would be "old" after a while. I am just looking for something reliable, doesn't have to be the best, I don't drive that well anyway. Thanks again.

M3Armand 10-11-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by btsai (Post 11314313)
As I get better (I hope!), I may find that it is holding me back from being competitive

I seriously doubt that... I've proven time and time again that it's going to come down to driving and setup. I'm still running analog transmitter/receiver (no more glitches since everyone else is running 2.4 Ghz!!!). As you get better, "punch" from the batteries will make a big difference. But that's about it. If you're in the same level as the 12 scale touring car champs, then I'd maybe the ESC would make a difference. Note, though, that some of the higher end pros are running the Hobby Wing ESC which is also considered a "cheap" ESC...

Gary NJ 10-11-2012 08:08 PM

I bought one a few weeks ago for a WGT car I'm putting together - I haven't run it yet. I have wired it up and powered it up, and it's certainly not DOA. I didn't get the programming card because the US warehouse doesn't stock it - I may just bite the bullet and get it from the HK warehouse. I did try and set the parameters using the ESC itself, and all went well except for trying to get it into blinky mode, which I need to run it in WGT. If the documentation is correct, the LED I'm seeing is telling me I still have timing enabled. The manual programming process is very tedious.

Apparently the Turnigy 1S ESC is very similar if not identical, to the Toro ESC, and I did find a US Toro programming card, but it didn't work with the Turnigy ESC - nice try:rolleyes:

I don't know how the Turnigy compares size wise to say the HW 1S ESC, but it seems fairly compact, and the physical appearance is of decent quality. If it works OK and I can get it into blinky mode, I'll be satisfied - the price is certainly attractive, and I really didn't want to have to deal with either rcvr packs or external boosters to run 1S 13.5. And since its blinky I'm not concerned about having the latest technolgy for boost or anything else. I haven't run a carpet onroad car in over 15 years so the ESC will be the least of my worries. I'll weigh back in once I get it in the car and run it.

btsai 10-12-2012 10:12 AM

I have the programming card and it's definitely worth it. Takes me about 30 seconds to change anything I want. Easy-peasy.

:D

btsai 10-12-2012 10:15 AM

Main thing to remember on this ESC -- 0% punch is maximum response -- 100% punch is maximum delay/softening (backwards to what I was expecting).

I also "cheated" the programming by setting the throttle trim down on my radio first (like -40), set the ESC, and then re-zeroed the trim. Not sure everyone would need to do that, but it helped me get the throttle response better in regards to how much you have to initially move the trigger to get it to move. (Hope you can follow that...)

DuckStang 10-12-2012 08:55 PM

How would this esc do in 17.5 blinky touring car??? Price is pretty nice.

Radio Active 10-13-2012 04:09 AM

A guy here is running one in 10.5 blinky 12th, and his car is dynamite. If you're running blinky only, and you're track is ok with it (not sure it is on the ROAR list) then go for it.

Gary NJ 10-13-2012 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by DuckStang (Post 11319316)
How would this esc do in 17.5 blinky touring car??? Price is pretty nice.

I'm not sure there is any real advantage to using it in a 2s situation like TC. I think with 2s they recommend adding the larger heat sink and fan, so it's no longer so compact. The fact that it was the cheapest 1s ESC I found that could be run withou booster or rcvr pack was the selling point to me.

howardcano 10-13-2012 07:19 AM

Could someone please post a link to the correct programming card?!

howardcano 10-13-2012 07:25 AM

And does the ESC come with any warranty?

DuckStang 10-13-2012 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Gary NJ (Post 11319986)
I'm not sure there is any real advantage to using it in a 2s situation like TC. I think with 2s they recommend adding the larger heat sink and fan, so it's no longer so compact. The fact that it was the cheapest 1s ESC I found that could be run withou booster or rcvr pack was the selling point to me.

Thanks man. The price point had me thinking about it. Hopefully someone will chime in that used it in TC before I become the test bed.

cup racer 10-13-2012 10:45 AM

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ming_Card.html

Gary NJ 10-13-2012 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by howardcano (Post 11320130)
And does the ESC come with any warranty?

120 days, although it probably wouldn't be worth pusuing if you had to send the defective one to HK. If you could return it to the US warehouse it might be worthwhile. At these prices I had no expectation of a Tekin or Novak warranty experience...