Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
HW SCT-Pro and Tenshock SC411 Overheat >

HW SCT-Pro and Tenshock SC411 Overheat

HW SCT-Pro and Tenshock SC411 Overheat

Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HW SCT-Pro and Tenshock SC411 Overheat

I have this esc and motor installed in my bone stock Losi SCTE. I am geared at 13/40, and am using a 5000mah 40C gensace pack and a NanoTech 6600mah 65c. The motor AND esc are getting pretty hot, within 5-7 minutes of running, before the LVC even kicks in. Motor and esc temps running about 170-180F after this time period. Not sure why, but wondering a couple of things. I haven't changed out the diff. fluid in any of the diffs, so it still has the grease in it. That said, I haven't run the truck that much. I checked for binding in the drivetrain, and everything seems okay. Would changing to a lighter diff. fluid make much difference it temps? Also, the three wire harness that runs from the esc to the receiver got crimped/flattened underneath my battery tray. It didn't cut through any wires, but the white wire is pretty well flattened out, and a tiny bit of the wire is exposed. So, wondering if that may be it?

I know that esc's like this one will run a little warmer than RX8's or MMP's, which have sensored/sensorless dual mode. But I haven't seen others running my set-up have temp problems this extreme.

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Does it get that hot on both your batteries? The 40C pack is pretty much the min. spec for the SCTE and running underspec'd batteries can generate heat.

Otherwise, that's within an acceptable range for electronics temps in a Losi SCTE. Diff fluid won't help that and crimping the receiver wire won't have anything to do with it either. Just make sure the thermal protect is enabled on your ESC but don't worry about the motor.

The two main ways to bring down temps on that truck are a) more fans and b) less weight. You'll see racers reporting lower temps than your stock truck because ours weigh significantly less through having thrown way too much money at them....
Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Both packs
Old 10-04-2012, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

When was the last time you serviced your bearings? Blown oit wheel bearing or diff bearing that is cruddy will get you hot real fast.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fq06 View Post
When was the last time you serviced your bearings? Blown oit wheel bearing or diff bearing that is cruddy will get you hot real fast.
Go through the entire truck and look for bad bearings. I now clean out the grease in my bearings and use either mobil 1 oil or INOX lube. Requires more maintenance but my drivetrain spins forever. No more heat problems.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I'll check the bearings, everything seems smooth, but it won't hurt to check. Also, I'm wondering, should I turn down my throttle endpoint, its set at 100% right now. Would it help to turn it down to like 85%?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by groundpounder30 View Post
I'll check the bearings, everything seems smooth, but it won't hurt to check. Also, I'm wondering, should I turn down my throttle endpoint, its set at 100% right now. Would it help to turn it down to like 85%?
I think I may have answered my own question, read on another forum that turning down endpoint will actually INCREASE temps of motor/esc, is this correct?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I've heard both sides of it. Some say that restricting power output will generate heat, like a voltage regulator will generate heat.
I've also heard of people reducing throttle endpoint to like 20% and letting their kid drive it around for 30+ minutes without issues.

Limiting the end point on your radio to 80% is like not having the use of the last 20% of your throttle triggers throw. I don't think you would have more heat if you drove around and didn't use the last 20% of trigger throw. I think you can do that without problems, but you should be able to gear it correctly without needing to limit end points. You would limit as a tuning tool for a slick track.