Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Futaba "EXPF", "ACCFW", and "Speed" in plain english? >

Futaba "EXPF", "ACCFW", and "Speed" in plain english?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Futaba "EXPF", "ACCFW", and "Speed" in plain english?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Futaba "EXPF", "ACCFW", and "Speed" in plain english?

first of all, i am still a beginner racer. secondly, and admittedly, i get a little hasty under pressure and my throttle finger goes all rogue on me, even though i know it isn't supposed to.

with a 13.5 i can run average and fast laps with the top drivers at my local track. with a 10.5 i am constantly either spinning out, or backing off for fear of spinning out, and running slow laps. why not go back to the 13.5? well it needed max can timing and max ESC timing to remain competitive, i didn't want to damage it. i was unprepared for the HUGE torque increase, and so i start my journey...

now my POS Hobbywing ESC has "punch" control, but that only seems to work for an initial start from stop. it has nothing to do with low speed throttle control or corner exit.

what i am trying to figure out, is if there is a way i can get my 4PL to "dumb down" my itchy trigger finger, and perhaps slow down the quick/twitchy reactions i am feeding the ESC. this is just a temporary measure to get some clean racing in before i give up on 2wd altogether.

i know EPA will prevent the ESC from running at 100%. i get that. where i get lost is the Speed, EXP, and ACC settings. on paper, they all seem like they do the same thing. on paper, they also all confuse the hell out of me.

could anyone explain this to me in real english?

FWIW: at our local track there is only one corner where i need full blown 100% acceleration immediately after the corner. everywhere else, i could stand to dial the torque down to about 60-70%

any help would be appreciated
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

The punch control should help you tremendously coming out of corners, you might want to play with that some more. Also, if you were running very high timing on your 13.5, lower timing on the 10.5 can also make it feel as if you have tons more torque. If radio settings dont help enough you might try raising the timing and lower the endpoint if you cant use the extra top speed. But first try the speed and expo settings on your radio.

The speed setting is just that. If it takes you 0.5 seconds to squeeze the trigger from 0 to max, the ESC will go from nothing to full throttle in 0.5 seconds. A lower setting on speed will make that time longer, no matter where you start or stop trigger travel. The best way to get a feel for this is to set it very low one day in practice, then work your way up until you feel good about it.

Exponential is different in that the speed of the movement is not affected, but rather the amount of input does not have to equal the amount the ESC actually puts out at any given throttle input. My example is for demonstration only and is not intended to be accurate or exact.
At the 0 setting, 10% and 100% trigger movement gives 10% and 100% throttle, respectively.
At the +100 setting, 100% trigger still gives 100% throttle, but 10% trigger will give 50% throttle.
At the -100 setting, 100% trigger still gives 100% throttle, but 50% trigger will give only 10% throttle.
The EXpo setting is great for making your trigger more or less sensitive at low throttle operation, but remember that it has to make up for this on the other end. If you use a large negative number to make the trigger less sensitive at low speed, when you get to high speed the trigger will be more sensitive. Conversely, if you use a large positive number, the trigger will be very sensitive at low speed, but the difference will get much smaller as you increase trigger travel.

The ACC setting works just like positive EXPO, but only affects the first 10% or so of throttle. This is designed for nitro or gas cars to take up slack in throttle linkage. I would not use this as a tuning aid for electric.

Good Luck
Old 09-28-2012, 04:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by burnineyes
..Good Luck
thank you, very much.