Wiki Posts
Search

Power supply trips GFCI

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default Power supply trips GFCI

I've got my garage/workshop wired with two 20amp circuits. They're also GFCI protected. I've never had a problem with them until I plugged my new power supply in and it trips the GFCI (not the breaker). The power supply works fine on a non GFCI outlet. What would cause this? Is it likely the power supply, or the GFCI (it does it on both circuits)
Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your new power supply may have an internal GFCI type curcuit in it that will cause your wall GFCI to trip. You can not have 2 GFCI's in line because they will fight each other and 1 will trip.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cyclone Bender
Your new power supply may have an internal GFCI type curcuit in it that will cause your wall GFCI to trip. You can not have 2 GFCI's in line because they will fight each other and 1 will trip.
some if not all new hairdryers have a GFCI on the plug that almost always (nowadays), get plugged into a GFCI in your bathroom without issue. GFCI's trip due to sensing a leaking of current somewhere or are just faulty. I would try plugging in the power supply on another GFCI in your house (different circuit) and see if that trips. if it does trip it, I would look at the power supply...
Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

well, I tried it out on another GFCI circuit in the house and it held.. Took it back out to the garage and it trips both circuits instantly. I suppose it could be two faulty GFCIs, but seems more likely that it's something else. All the outlets test correctly (wired correctly, have a good ground, etc). Thanks for your help, I'll have to do some more research.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by marvinbeaverdip
well, I tried it out on another GFCI circuit in the house and it held.. Took it back out to the garage and it trips both circuits instantly. I suppose it could be two faulty GFCIs, but seems more likely that it's something else. All the outlets test correctly (wired correctly, have a good ground, etc). Thanks for your help, I'll have to do some more research.
Maybe the following will help, I had a city electrical inspector review my newly install 125a sub panel I put in along with 2 new circuits for our washer and dryer. She (yes, she ), mentioned that I needed a GFCI outlet for anything in the basement now and that washer machines are known to trip them, she recommended I install a 20a GFCI and avoid the 15a ones as again they tend to trip on washer machines. I did already wire the circuits with 12g and a 20a breaker, so no sweat there. Maybe look at the GFCI that holds and see if its 20a vs 15a, also I found they make some real crappy quality GFCI's (walmart, big lots etc), I bought a few at the local home center (Leviton) and has not tripped on anything in about a yr.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Cool

Originally Posted by I.T.Guy
Maybe the following will help, I had a city electrical inspector review my newly install 125a sub panel I put in along with 2 new circuits for our washer and dryer. She (yes, she ), mentioned that I needed a GFCI outlet for anything in the basement now and that washer machines are known to trip them, she recommended I install a 20a GFCI and avoid the 15a ones as again they tend to trip on washer machines. I did already wire the circuits with 12g and a 20a breaker, so no sweat there. Maybe look at the GFCI that holds and see if its 20a vs 15a, also I found they make some real crappy quality GFCI's (walmart, big lots etc), I bought a few at the local home center (Leviton) and has not tripped on anything in about a yr.
Yes , I was going to suggest two things:

one) cheap GFI's or old and weak GFI's can trip easy.

two) The load from your PS may be a lil over what your GFI can handle....

( I have a 500W 40A PS for my quad charger, so guess what Im watching for on the wall.....)