Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Futaba 3PJS  ok to use still? >

Futaba 3PJS ok to use still?

Futaba 3PJS ok to use still?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Futaba 3PJS ok to use still?

I have been thinking about getting back into R/C and was wondering if my old radio and receiver will still be good to use? Futaba 3PJS
Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orangutanracer
I have been thinking about getting back into R/C and was wondering if my old radio and receiver will still be good to use? Futaba 3PJS
If it still works why not? Since the majority use 2.4GHz you should have very little channel conflicts.

You may not get the full advantage to digital servos but for analog and ESCs it should be fine.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

if you wanted to upgrade that radio to 2.4ghz you can use the spektrum modules and receivers with them just fine too.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by AreCee
If it still works why not? Since the majority use 2.4GHz you should have very little channel conflicts.

You may not get the full advantage to digital servos but for analog and ESCs it should be fine.
I was using it with digital servos 10+ years ago (Futaba S9450) so I don't understand what you mean by full advantage.

I just picked up a new battery for it and it still works good.

What advantages does 2.4GHZ have over 75MHz PCM FM?
Old 08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

We still use a 3PJS when my son wants to bring a friend along. It's a great radio and has many features that the 3PK has. It only transmits in 1024 bit PCM or FM so it is not immune to interference like 2.4g systems. You can use a 2.4g module in it but it will be the lower framerate, not 2048 bit HRS. In the 3pk for example you can switch between standard 1024 TX PPM or PCM or the faster HRS TX mode. The FASST module will work in either mode, it's only analog servos that get damaged in the HRS mode.

You can still use digital servos no problem, they just won't have as many steps of resolution that digital servos are capable of.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Steve.

I doubt at my skill level I would be able to notice the difference in speed or resolution a newer radio is capable of.

With everyone using 2.4 radios now I was just wondering if the rules on using the older radios may of changed.