Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Team Orion advantage charger, NIHM battery charging issues. >

Team Orion advantage charger, NIHM battery charging issues.

Team Orion advantage charger, NIHM battery charging issues.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Default Team Orion advantage charger, NIHM battery charging issues.

Guys I have the twin spec battery charger. Untill now I have only used it for lipo modes. But recently I killed my HV servo in my nitro buggy and my backup is not HV.

So I am using reedy 1600 5c NIHM battery. I can't get the charger to charge it. I select NIHM charge mode, 1c, 1600mah, 1.6 amps, 10mv. Peak Voltage cutoff 1.82 volts per cell.

Now when I try and charge it says voltage to high. So if I increase the 1c to 2c it says check battery connection.

I know the pack is good and need charging. Last weekend I used a friends charger to charge it and I ran it for my 30 minute main. So it needs to be topped off so i can run more. However I keep getting the voltage to high issue.

Any tips guys?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Suspect the 1c & 2c settings you mention are for the number of cells for a nimh battery, not the C (capacity) rating normally associated with a lipo charge. Have you tried setting it at 5c?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for helping Dave. Yes you are correct, the C rating is for the number of cells, stated in the manual.

However if I go to 5C since its a 5 cell RX pack, it reads check battery connection. If i go 1C it starts the charge then say voltage to high, wich makes sense since its only sapose to be a 1 cell. I don't understand why it doesn't read the pack when I go any setting higher then 1C.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

That is odd, especially the combination. Gets the message immediately when trying to start the charge? Have you tried different amp settings? 1.6A might be a little high, nimh generally don't like too high of charge rates, maybe try 0.5A?
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah it displayed the check connection message immediately after starting. Now get this, I switched over to port numbe one, I was originally trying port number two. Same setting, only choosing 5C and .5 amps charging, and the same squid harness and it works.

For some reson port number two doesn't read anything higher then 1c for NIHM batteries. Port number 1 works fine. I find it odd.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Check the charge harness carefully and try a different one if you can. I’ve seen flaky connections, bad solder joints or crimps, etc, cause problems. Simply pulling it out and pushing it back in might of temporarily made better contact. Try wiggling the wires while watching the voltage on the charger. Same for the pack connections.

Always check the simple stuff first! Good luck.