Cheap ESC vs Novak/Tekin/Castle/etc

Cheap ESC vs Novak/Tekin/Castle/etc

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

I'd buy the brushless hobbies and Tacon best choice for your $$$ IMO
Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the brushless hobbies ESC is the way to go. I have two hobby wing's and they're awesome, so I can only imagine the same software on better hardware. In terms of a motor for a 2wd SC I would only use a 4-pole because of it's extra torque. I suggest looking at Tenshock's 411 (sensored) and 401 (unsensored), also look at Tekin's Pro4, Team Trinity's Rev-tech 4XS ( if you have the $ this one is the best imo), Castle's 1410 (unsensored), Hobbywing's XERUN 3656SD, Toro 4-Pole (unsensored) and Tacon 4-pole's. I know that's a long list but imo any one of those motors would suit your needs. In the end it's just about how much you want to spend. The more you spend the better the CS and usually the build quality.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I would be VERY aware of the brushless hobbies warranty/return policy on their ESCs before placing an order.

Here is their warranty:

And here is the Return policy for ESCs:
Originally Posted by brushlesshobbies.com
ESC have a no return policy because one (Tim Shipe SC-44) seems to think that if they break it from failure to follow instructions, never read the instructions and throw 528 on a Tekin Pro 4 full turbo and timing when Tekin states not to, the Users Manual states not to, and other buyer caused damages they should get another and another for free just because. You are invited to ask for help, encouraged to ask for help, and most will get special pricing as was offered Tim, and yes, for the trully honest I sometimes send a replacement for free.
And just to be clear I didn't forget to put the warranty in there...they don't have one. I have a LT4 120a that died 4 days after I received it and I can't get a response from Stan at BH via email or phone. There are several others with similar stories.

In my opinion the switch from the LBEC of their original ESC to the SBEC in the new LT4 was a big mistake. I have an original 120a and it is a fine product, works great and if you can pick up a functional used one I would suggest it. You will get the same warranty as if you bought new and will have paid less.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

It seems you want to run mod.

For the most part, in mod you need an esc that's smooth so you can modulate the power you have on hand, your esc needs a good BEC so it can keep up with power-hungry digital servos(if you intend to go that route).

The nice part about mod is that you don't need the next, best motor or battery.

I have an LRP 10.5 w/ a Duratrax DE10 combo that I've had for a couple years now.

It wasn't the most up-to-date motor when I bought it (it doesn't even have advanceable timing on the motor can). But it's smooth and reliable and fast. And like others have said in mod class most people have more motor than they need anyway. In blinky stock it seems you need to always buy the most recent motor to keep up, in boosted stock you need to have an esc w/ sophisticated boost and turbo advance features to keep up.

I have a Turnigy Trackstar 17.5 and it came to me with what I believe to be a faulty sensor.

If you wanted to save a few bucks on a motor you can go to Team Trinity's website and they have a 17.5 and 13.5 for forty bucks and a 7.5 Nemesis for 40 or 50 if you want to save a few bucks and still get a brand name.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

If you are running 2wd SC, the dualsky or BH will suit your needs. The BH does not have a warrenty as stated above. I have no idea if the dualsky has a warrenty. But a lot of the Chinese brands are without warranty. The dualsky is like $80 and you can find the on http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/?control...product_id=223. The dualsky is small and will fit in a tlr22 or b4 buggy if you ever decide to get one. But you will also need to get the usb programmer for $20. In my opinion the BH LT4 is worth a shot. As it can power a SC4x4 easily, and those are power suckers. It will also fit in buggies, but is larger then the dualsky because of the fan. Up to you. Also, brushless hobbies has no warrenty because he only marks the esc's up like 2 dollars. If you want a warrenty, then you will need to find someone with a much larger markup. Since that is how warranties are covered. Kinda like insurgence.