Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Show me what electronic parts I need to control a larger DC 12v motor >

Show me what electronic parts I need to control a larger DC 12v motor

Show me what electronic parts I need to control a larger DC 12v motor

Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Show me what electronic parts I need to control a larger DC 12v motor

Hi eveyone,

This is a non RC related project, but I think I can use off the shelf rc electronics to do what I need.

I have made a 12volt DC blower/fan using a car's heater and AC fan from under the dash. I welded up a little housing for it and it really blows some air. But this needs to be controlled using a knob. So then I can set it to slow, medium fast etc.

I have looked into using th "arduino" micro controller and going down the PWM route, but I have never used one before and PWM will give a buzzing noise on some motors, which I do not want. You can change the frequency to eliminate it from what I read, but this is long winded approach to what could be done easier I think.

The main issue I think I have is that the fan is over 10amps. I hooked my multimeter up and it blew the fuse in the back which is rated at 10 amps. I did see on ebay similar fans rated at 11amps 300watts.

Then I saw a youtube video of a turningy 130amp watt meter which also reads voltage and amps. That got me thinking if a cheap rc electronic part can handle 130amps this might be the way to go.

I have also seen what I think you call a servo tester? This is where you plug the motor in and it has a knob to wind the speed up or down.

My battery is a good car battery but what other electronic parts do I need, and what specs must they have?

Any links would be great.