Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Picking a hig-end lipo charger >

Picking a hig-end lipo charger

Picking a hig-end lipo charger

Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Picking a hig-end lipo charger

I'm in the market for a high-end lipo charger. I'll be charging batteries for my 1/8 buggy, so 2-4cell 5000mah-ish batteries. Needs to do at least 2 lipos at once but the more the better. I was looking at the Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual or Hitech X2-400 but leaning more to the Hitec X2 because its about $100 less and only 100 watts less per channel. I was interested in the Hitech X4 but people don't seem to like it for batteries over 2000mah and say its slow. I know that you don't want to charger a battery to fast but don't really know whats the limit is. (1C for every 1000mah I think) I don't really know much about lipo chargers. I just figured I'd go for the best so I wont have any problems and I'll have plenty for headroom for the future.

What are a few other really good chargers to look at or did I pick the best ones? (I want name brands. Nothing cheap in quality or knock offs) I noticed all high-end chargers need a AC to DC power supply. It's beyond me why they don't come with them built in but I'm not going into that now. So I need help finding a strong enough PSU for the charger as well. I was looking at the MaxAmps ones. Seems really simple and good for the money compare to some others I saw.

So in short whats a really good lipo charger thats fast, can do multiple batteries and a AC to DC PSU to go with it?

Thank You
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Conti027 View Post
I'm in the market for a high-end lipo charger. I'll be charging batteries for my 1/8 buggy, so 2-4cell 5000mah-ish batteries. Needs to do at least 2 lipos at once but the more the better. I was looking at the Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo Dual or Hitech X2-400 but leaning more to the Hitec X2 because its about $100 less and only 100 watts less per channel. I was interested in the Hitech X4 but people don't seem to like it for batteries over 2000mah and say its slow. I know that you don't want to charger a battery to fast but don't really know whats the limit is. (1C for every 1000mah I think) I don't really know much about lipo chargers. I just figured I'd go for the best so I wont have any problems and I'll have plenty for headroom for the future.

What are a few other really good chargers to look at or did I pick the best ones? (I want name brands. Nothing cheap in quality or knock offs) I noticed all high-end chargers need a AC to DC power supply. It's beyond me why they don't come with them built in but I'm not going into that now. So I need help finding a strong enough PSU for the charger as well. I was looking at the MaxAmps ones. Seems really simple and good for the money compare to some others I saw.

So in short whats a really good lipo charger thats fast, can do multiple batteries and a AC to DC PSU to go with it?

Thank You
If you want to keep it cheap, your best bet is to make your own power supply. You can easily make a power supply using normal home and or server power units. I personally used two server power supplies, put them in series which made a 24v power supply that has the ability output 160 amps.

Search ebay for power supplies that have a single 12v rail.

As far as chargers, you already posted in my thread, which is really asking the same questions I did. The answers given, are the ones you are looking for.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

I made this topic last night but since it took a day to get approved you started a topic like it that helped me.
Can't post link to the thread since I don't have enough posts
I pretty much decided on the MaxAmps PSU and the Hyperion EOS 0720i Super Duo.
Though people opinions and still helpful.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:22 AM
pgk
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You may also want to take a look at the FMA Prolab 6 or prolab 8.
http://www.revolectrix.com/pl6_description_tab.htm there is alot of info on this thread too
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1176112
I have the Prolab 8 and can charge up to 6 batteries in parallell, and yes you will need a big power supply.. The charger in my opinion is among the best out there..

Pete
Old 06-27-2012, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have a hyperion and I bought after going through several lesser chargers. When I run my hyperion I usually run it for several hours at a time charging at 10amps. It has never failed me. I also use a 24v power supply that can supply more amps than the charger needs. I think this is important.

I purchased my hyperion over a year ago and charging at 2-3c wasn't really that common. Today it's well known that you can charge at 4-6C. If I was in your position I'd go w/ a setup that would allow me to charge at 30amp. The powerlabs seem like a nice charger.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was looking at the FMA ones but I really wanted dual charging cause not all my batteries are the same.
Having one that could do more then 20 amps would of been nice but couldn't find a nice dual charger that could do it.
Just got off the phone with MaxAmps. I know people give them crap but they are great people over there extremely helpful and nice.
I order my setup and should have it in 1-2 days with standard shipping.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hyperion and Never look back.