R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Motor? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/635872-motor.html)

nerdyrcdriver 06-08-2012 05:16 PM

Motor?

Hey everyone, so I have my hpi blitz with a mamba max pro esc and 1410 motor. My track doesnt let you race with 3s, and I am looking to race a bit more, but I can only do a little double jump on the indoor offroad track. The outdoor that opens possibly next week is much bigger, and I am afraid my truck just wont get over anything on 2s. It is so annoying because 2s doesnt seem that great, then throw in a 3s and it flys! Tried all different types of gearing even 27/77 and it just wasnt competing with other trucks running 2s.

What motor should I get? I would like tenshock, tacon, leopard or similar. Tenshock seems to be the top dog from what I have seen having 4 pole motors with good torque and speed. But I have no idea what kv to get.

Could someone help me out please?

cs3087 06-08-2012 05:47 PM

You could get the 1415 motor from castle if you like brand matching (me LOL) but the tenshock seems the best value is your blitz 2WD or 4X4 I know nothing about SC and for a heavy vehicle like an SC you definitely want a 4 pole check out Jang's reviews at Ultimate rc.com under other stuff-reviews hope this helps PS how is the Mamba max ESC? Thinking of buying one with a 1406 7700 for my 2WD buggy does it run hot?
Edit somewhere around 3500-5000 have you looked at the Traxxas VXL motor with 3500kv that thing seems to cart around the slash pretty good up to 60-70 if I'm correct personally I prefer High KV but lower kv has more torque if I'm right?

nerdyrcdriver 06-08-2012 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by cs3087 (Post 10837460)
You could get the 1415 motor from castle if you like brand matching (me LOL) but the tenshock seems the best value is your blitz 2WD or 4X4 I know nothing about SC and for a heavy vehicle like an SC you definitely want a 4 pole check out Jang's reviews at Ultimate rc.com under other stuff-reviews hope this helps PS how is the Mamba max ESC? Thinking of buying one with a 1406 7700 for my 2WD buggy does it run hot?
Edit somewhere around 3500-5000 have you looked at the Traxxas VXL motor with 3500kv that thing seems to cart around the slash pretty good up to 60-70 if I'm correct personally I prefer High KV but lower kv has more torque if I'm right?

I wish hpi made a 4x4 blitz, that thing would be unstopable!

I LOVE the mamba max pro esc, but ever since I got the 1410 I have been nothing but dissapointed. According to people this thing is supposed to be pretty fast on 2s. Top speed was around 38mph geared for speed and lower torque than the vxl motor from traxxas would have at that speed. I even had castle send me a new one.

I have watched 98% of jangs videos he has made about rc, but it is hard when you cant be subscribed to him because he thinks you are a psychopath.

This thread would be almost a page long now on urc but so far it is just you and me. I honestly dont care if the motor is name brand or not, just the esc.

I had the vxl in my rustler when I had it. I still have the motor, but the esc went crazy and one day my friend was helping me and he was too lazy to take the motor out to change a part that you needed to take the motor out for, and he put a huge dent in it. Ever since then it hasnt worked right. Traxxas support sucks! I was UNDER WARRANTY on my esc and motor (though the motor was actually my/my friends fault). They wanted $60 to replace the esc even though it was well within warranty. The best part is about three weeks later my friends esc did the same thing. His dad decided to pay the $60 against his sons advice not to. Well, three months later they got an update from traxxas saying they were going to send him back an xl5 brushed esc. So it was another $60 to get it to a vxl. If ANYTHING happens to my traxxas esc or motor in my merv, I am making a video of destroying it somehow, it is not worth the crap and cost to go through traxxas support.

That being said, does anyone here have a tenshock motor in a 2wd sc? Or does everyone here have tekin, traxxas, or castle?

cs3087 06-08-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver (Post 10838091)
I wish hpi made a 4x4 blitz, that thing would be unstopable!

I LOVE the mamba max pro esc, but ever since I got the 1410 I have been nothing but dissapointed. According to people this thing is supposed to be pretty fast on 2s. Top speed was around 38mph geared for speed and lower torque than the vxl motor from traxxas would have at that speed. I even had castle send me a new one.

I have watched 98% of jangs videos he has made about rc, but it is hard when you cant be subscribed to him because he thinks you are a psychopath.

This thread would be almost a page long now on urc but so far it is just you and me. I honestly dont care if the motor is name brand or not, just the esc.

I had the vxl in my rustler when I had it. I still have the motor, but the esc went crazy and one day my friend was helping me and he was too lazy to take the motor out to change a part that you needed to take the motor out for, and he put a huge dent in it. Ever since then it hasnt worked right. Traxxas support sucks! I was UNDER WARRANTY on my esc and motor (though the motor was actually my/my friends fault). They wanted $60 to replace the esc even though it was well within warranty. The best part is about three weeks later my friends esc did the same thing. His dad decided to pay the $60 against his sons advice not to. Well, three months later they got an update from traxxas saying they were going to send him back an xl5 brushed esc. So it was another $60 to get it to a vxl. If ANYTHING happens to my traxxas esc or motor in my merv, I am making a video of destroying it somehow, it is not worth the crap and cost to go through traxxas support.

That being said, does anyone here have a tenshock motor in a 2wd sc? Or does everyone here have tekin, traxxas, or castle?

Wow I never realized traxxas support was that bad mainly because my LHS doesn't follow the pack they'll deal with your warrantied stuff if you bought it from them ( MY LHS IS AWESOME ) about a week after I bought my merv something happened to my servo idk what it was it just stopped the servo then killed my Rx they replaced it for FREE so if your LHS isn't like that steer clear of traxxas I think that a blitz would be a beast with a Mamba and a tenshock
PS I'm sure a Blitz 4X4 in the works and yeah this Site does not have as much traffic as URC EDIT ask around the track I'm sure people will tell you what motor they're running and if they like it or not then add everything up and get the most popular racing motor simple as that PPS Why does Jang think you're a psychopath? LOL

nerdyrcdriver 06-09-2012 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by cs3087 (Post 10838153)
Wow I never realized traxxas support was that bad mainly because my LHS doesn't follow the pack they'll deal with your warrantied stuff if you bought it from them ( MY LHS IS AWESOME ) about a week after I bought my merv something happened to my servo idk what it was it just stopped the servo then killed my Rx they replaced it for FREE so if your LHS isn't like that steer clear of traxxas I think that a blitz would be a beast with a Mamba and a tenshock
PS I'm sure a Blitz 4X4 in the works and yeah this Site does not have as much traffic as URC EDIT ask around the track I'm sure people will tell you what motor they're running and if they like it or not then add everything up and get the most popular racing motor simple as that PPS Why does Jang think you're a psychopath? LOL

Yeah, I always thought traxxas support was great until something actually broke broke and was impossible to use. My LHS is awesome and will help out say within the first month, but otherwise it is up to you to deal with traxxas.

Pretty sure hpi is making a 4wd sc sometimes soon, hopefully as durable as the blitz.

People at my track spend big bucks on castle, tekin, and novak stuff. Either that or they run a vxl set up.

cs3087 06-09-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver (Post 10839492)
Yeah, I always thought traxxas support was great until something actually broke broke and was impossible to use. My LHS is awesome and will help out say within the first month, but otherwise it is up to you to deal with traxxas.

Pretty sure hpi is making a 4wd sc sometimes soon, hopefully as durable as the blitz.

People at my track spend big bucks on castle, tekin, and novak stuff. Either that or they run a vxl set up.

Sometimes the cheaper stuff is better have you looked at the Taconic/ezrun/hobbywing/Toro/Leapord motors (OEM) they seem to be pretty good

nerdyrcdriver 06-09-2012 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by cs3087 (Post 10840633)
Sometimes the cheaper stuff is better have you looked at the Taconic/ezrun/hobbywing/Toro/Leapord motors (OEM) they seem to be pretty good

I looked at toro for my micro at one point.

Ezrun is hobbywing, my friend has a couple hw esc's and likes them. I would have bought one of those, but they were sold out and I would have no use for my castle programming card or my sidewinder esc, so I sent in the sidewinder and $75 and got a mmp.

Really like the esc I have, thinking leapord, toro, tacon, or maybe one of the hobbywing sc motors. But I have no idea which kv, or anything like that.

I could get sensored motors as well.

cs3087 06-09-2012 08:48 PM

Yes you could get a sensored but it wouldn't be as good as a senseless I believe the mmp is designed for senseless but can be sensored I still say 4000Kvish 4pole

dtr 06-10-2012 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by nerdyrcdriver (Post 10838091)

Something is surely off, the 1410 is way stronger then the VXL motor.
What batteries and connectors do you use?
Have you calibrated the ESC to the radio?
What are the settings in the ESC? (punch control, torque limit, forward power, lvc are the main candidates.)

nerdyrcdriver 06-10-2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dtr (Post 10842257)
Something is surely off, the 1410 is way stronger then the VXL motor.
What batteries and connectors do you use?
Have you calibrated the ESC to the radio?
What are the settings in the ESC? (punch control, torque limit, forward power, lvc are the main candidates.)

gens ace 40c 5000mah 2s lipos (maybe like 12 runs on each pack total)
fly sky fs-gt3b radio calibrated to the mmp
I use traxxas connectors

I cant seem to find my programming card right now to check with the castle link software. I have to go somewhere to buy fathers day stuff for my dad. I will look for it and update when I get back.

nerdyrcdriver 06-28-2012 03:52 PM

Never found my programming card. But My friend and I were fooling around in the basement and noticed that reverse was faster than fwd. We reversed ch2 on my radio and switched the red and white motor wires. It is WAY faster now with more torque. We planned to go to the track today but decided not to, until we figured that my motor is way more powerful than I thought. Geared 25/80 something (88 or 83) it got to 38mph on a 2s and did wheelies on command.

GLwagon 06-28-2012 04:14 PM

You do realize a 1410 has more "power" than a 6.5, 2 pole motor...
It isn't a high revving motor, but can be ran hard with out problems.

There are a couple ways to make "speed".
-gearing, big pinion & small spur.
-timing, readjusting the ESC to get a little more top end & generate some more heat.

Watch your temps, you're getting maxed out at 180-190f (for a Castle).
If the motor is always "cold" 110-140f you can tweak on it more.

I use the 1410 in a 4x4 SC & it has been very dependable.
Think of the 1410 as a diesel that makes tons of torque, good for heavy trucks.

The other motor choices would be a 10.5 give or take for a 2wd SC.
The MMPro is awesome with a sensored motor & the "Cheat" for boost.

I have a 7.5 turn boosted in a converted Slash & it will burn the tires off.
13.5 to an 8.5 with "Cheat" or boost as needed has always been enough.

Castle ESC is Green for forward, yellow neut. & red for reverse.

How big is the track?

nerdyrcdriver 06-28-2012 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by GLwagon (Post 10915805)
You do realize a 1410 has more "power" than a 6.5, 2 pole motor...
It isn't a high revving motor, but can be ran hard with out problems.

There are a couple ways to make "speed".
-gearing, big pinion & small spur.
-timing, readjusting the ESC to get a little more top end & generate some more heat.

Watch your temps, you're getting maxed out at 180-190f (for a Castle).
If the motor is always "cold" 110-140f you can tweak on it more.

I use the 1410 in a 4x4 SC & it has been very dependable.
Think of the 1410 as a diesel that makes tons of torque, good for heavy trucks.

The other motor choices would be a 10.5 give or take for a 2wd SC.
The MMPro is awesome with a sensored motor & the "Cheat" for boost.

I have a 7.5 turn boosted in a converted Slash & it will burn the tires off.
13.5 to an 8.5 with "Cheat" or boost as needed has always been enough.

How big is the track?

Well, it used to run around 128 with that gearing at the indoor offroad clay track. But after my friend figured out how to fix my issue my temp gun ran out of batteries or just broke. But feeling it, the motor is def at or below the sweet spot. I will be changing the gearing next time the lhs has a smaller spur and I can put a smaller pinion on the motor.

But I am REALLY happy now! It runs like people got it to run in the reviews and has WAY more torque than it used to.

nerdyrcdriver 06-28-2012 04:53 PM

A friend needed a little help on how to reverse ch2 on the fs-gt3b and when we got together and drove at the track I noticed his car didnt seem to have much power either (same combo) so I figured I would just make a video rather than typing it a bunch of times.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

GLwagon 06-28-2012 04:56 PM

If you have enough low end punch, throw some timing on it.

Watch ESC temps & motor temps too.
Even sensorless, the castle has reactive timing.
wen you adjust timing it is giving the ESC a sugested range to work in.
4pole motors are more sensitive to timing adjustments, so go little steps at a time.