Spektrum

Old 02-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

heres another strange one. one of the local guys had his M-8 go into scan mode. meaning that looking at the screen on radio transmitter, it was scrolling thru the menu on its own. switched back to standard module and no problem. anyone else heard of this.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

For what it is worth there are 4-5 guys ,including myself, at our track running the systems in nitro trucks indoors with no problems so far.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Sorry for not validating, an hour to the track and not even getting through one practice pack let alone a qualifier. I know this hobby can be expensive but this turning out to be my biggest waste of money.

This was supposed to be glitch free. I liked the idea of no more crystals so I put $240 down for a module and two receivers. I ran my Airtronics Module and XXL receiver with no trouble for years and now I have nothing but glitches!

Sorry for taking up space on the form with my venting
Old 02-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

F1fan above tried the Cap fix but it did not work. He did end up with problems but ran problem free a week before at the same track. However i ran at a different smaller track today and again did not have any problems. both of our units cam from stormer, shipped a day apart. does anyone have any ideas? he also tried changing speedos from a quantum to a keyence. Must be time to send it back to Horizon!
Old 02-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Post well well ..

With the diffrent problems out there I was wondering if it is really nessassary to buy the specktrum ... I like the idea of no crystals but at what cost .. having problems while qualifing or in the mains .. Any body have any clear Ideas if this product has all the bug issues taken care of ...
Old 02-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

man i almost bought one of these things. i think im just getting some helios
Old 02-19-2005, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Has anyone had any lag problems with rubber tires on carpet or does it seam to be only foam tires on carpet?
Old 02-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Spektrum

Save yourself the trouble. I ran it and everytime the car would turn over or get hit by another car it would shut down and had to be turned off and turned back on to keep going and I wasn't the only one who had that problem. Had to switch back to my old m8 module and receiver just to finish a qualifier so that I could run the A-Main. You will be seeing plenty of them on Ebay very soon!!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
It's off the list

- JB
Old 02-19-2005, 09:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by jlrogers
F1fan above tried the Cap fix but it did not work. He did end up with problems but ran problem free a week before at the same track. However i ran at a different smaller track today and again did not have any problems. both of our units cam from stormer, shipped a day apart. does anyone have any ideas? he also tried changing speedos from a quantum to a keyence. Must be time to send it back to Horizon!
If you bought your unit from Stormer Hobbies, why would you send it back to Horizon?!?!

Hmmm....
Old 02-19-2005, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

wow seems that alot of people are having problems with this new product

stick with the helios
Old 02-19-2005, 09:15 PM
Tech Adept

Jack Smash, you will only have trouble with foam tires. Foam tires tend to interfere w/2.4ghz and cause lag. The rubber tires only cause lag w/27 and 75 band freq. hope this helps..
Old 02-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally posted by 403forbidden
If you bought your unit from Stormer Hobbies, why would you send it back to Horizon?!?!

Hmmm....
Because it's a warranty issue and Warranty issues are handled direct to horizon.....if youhave a problem with your JR radio you do the same...

Some Hobby shops will offer you a replacement piece and go through the warranty process themselves to get replacement, however it is not the normal procedure...and it's a SERIOUS cost overhead for shops to do that....not all shops can or will afford that...
Old 02-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

ok, there has been a suggestion made... why dont we try this out before we start bitching about this thing more??? i mean, do you not have to do ANY extra work to the cars you race? batteries? motors? of course we do, and putting a cap onto the rx shouldnt be that big of a deal....................... what is not to like about this system, no freq pins, no glitching.. its great!!
Old 02-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Tech Adept

Default Spektrum flaws

I have many years of experience with 2.4Ghz wireless. We have a 2.4Ghz system that should be released soon once FCC testing is complete.

Indoor, outdoor, Carpet, Rubber, Foam, lightning, themselves have no effect for microwave radios, there must be other correlated issues.

I've been reading about the problems with Spektrum with keen interest, because our DART system works very differently than theirs, and I've been looking to see if the known shortcomings of their design have been observed.

Perhaps, but the problems appear to me as a simple case of poor made-in-china quality of the circuit board assembly. At microwave frequencies radios can be unreliable if the boards are not designed and assembly correctly. Moreover, electronics take a good beating in R/C cars, and we've had to redesign our boards a few times to deal with it. The CAP fix is related in that the receiver isn't doing an adequate job in regulating the power to the chips. This certainly is more of a problem when something requires more power, but the BEC in some ESC's seem to be the real problem here.

For what it's worth, we have a few racers at our track using the Spektrums so far without any trouble.

The real radio design flaw of Spektrum, which may or may not be an issue in these cases, is that if interference or a weak signal occurs once you start driving, the system must be turn on/off again so it selects another channel that hopefully is good. Our system does not have this issue. It also operates at 4 times the speed of Spektrum, at less than half the power consumption.

Hope that helps.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.