Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
Flysky recievers go bad >

Flysky recievers go bad

Flysky recievers go bad

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Flysky recievers go bad

Had my flysky fs-gt3b for about 5 months now. Never had any problems with the reciever that came with it. Got some extra recievers for my other vehicles and about half of the brand new recievers i get go bad or are bad right from the start. Had runaways, range problems, glitching, etc. I know i'm not the only one as some of my track buddies have had the same problems. Not a cost issue as they are only $7 each to replace, just annoying.

Help please!!!
Old 05-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

I know every body's gonna say this but did you check the bats in your transmitter and do you recommend the fsgt3b?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cs3087
I know every body's gonna say this but did you check the bats in your transmitter and do you recommend the fsgt3b?
It's not the batteries, it even displays the voltage right on the display. I've gotten a few good recievers that work great with no problems. I was having issues in my losi scte like runaways and really bad glitching. Swapped out the reciever with a new one the next day and it worked great. The transmitter when you have a good working reciever is great and has all the adjustability you would ever need.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Adept

Hmm, I gave up after one RC stopped working properly, no reverse and dodgy brake that has a life on it's own near neutral. I thought maybe not running a BEC and 7.2v might have damaged it. Got a new RC vehicle, bec and ESC and it didn't reverse at all. Bought another receiver no change figured it must be the transmitter since channel 2 was only working correctly in one direction with a servo plugged in.

Last week I decided I'd wasted enough on the radio and bought a Futaba and had no problems since. The GT3b I bought only worked properly for a week. I'm not sure I can recommend the GT3b even when it is that price, if half the receivers are broken when you get them like you say it's basically a lot of time and hassle plus the risk of trashing a valuable RC toy.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Antmax
Hmm, I gave up after one RC stopped working properly, no reverse and dodgy brake that has a life on it's own near neutral. I thought maybe not running a BEC and 7.2v might have damaged it. Got a new RC vehicle, bec and ESC and it didn't reverse at all. Bought another receiver no change figured it must be the transmitter since channel 2 was only working correctly in one direction with a servo plugged in.

Last week I decided I'd wasted enough on the radio and bought a Futaba and had no problems since. The GT3b I bought only worked properly for a week. I'm not sure I can recommend the GT3b even when it is that price, if half the receivers are broken when you get them like you say it's basically a lot of time and hassle plus the risk of trashing a valuable RC toy.
that's so true you can buy cheap and it will either work out fine or may not and you could have a runaway car and end up braking stuff that costs more in the end then a good radio but i do understand why people use them if they have multiple cars rx's for 7 bucks vs. aitronics rx's for 50 bucks its just insane sometimes
Old 05-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by rcduder
that's so true you can buy cheap and it will either work out fine or may not and you could have a runaway car and end up braking stuff that costs more in the end then a good radio but i do understand why people use them if they have multiple cars rx's for 7 bucks vs. aitronics rx's for 50 bucks its just insane sometimes
Yeah, I originally bought the GT3b to cut the cost of starting out in RC again. I don't really regret it because it enabled me to get my first RC kit up and running for under $450. Which was a hard sell with my wife to begin with. That was a Sand Scorcher I bought mostly for nostalgic reasons but I soon caught the bug and bought a Axial Exo 2 months later. That's the RC that cost me quite a bit is MUCH faster and has electronics that are a lot more sensitive to the GT3b's glitches and made my by the Futaba. Fortunately by this time my wife was insisting I buy a new radio to save trouble in the long run .

I noticed that FRSky produce Futaba FASST compatible receivers for $28. I'm a bit weary of them after my GT3b experience but may still try one on my Sand Scorcher. It's very slow and runs best at scale speeds so I will probably give it a go . The official Futaba FASST receiver for my transmitter costs $60 - $80 online which is insane!.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Tech Elite

Really at the point if i get another bad one, im just going to go buy a futaba 4pl. Read bigsquid rc's review and have heard good things about it. Still i'm on a budget and the price point is a major factor.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

one thing i have noticed about flysky receivers. they are sensitive to antenna placement. if you let the antenna touch anything carbon fiber or metal. they glitch like crazy and have runaways.

also make sure you set the failsafe. the only reciever ive had go bad and it was from a esc bec falure and i use have had 6 or so of them.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by trick25
one thing i have noticed about flysky receivers. they are sensitive to antenna placement. if you let the antenna touch anything carbon fiber or metal. they glitch like crazy and have runaways.

also make sure you set the failsafe. the only reciever ive had go bad and it was from a esc bec falure and i use have had 6 or so of them.
The one in my scte was only touching plastic and it worked fine 3/4 of the run until right before my batteries were done it would just take off with no radio input. The one in my stampede that was bad just had a 20ft range or so before it would drive itself.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

thats odd. id rebind them. set failsafe one them to if they loose radio contact it will go back to neutral. and also make sure you set throttle range on the esc.

but in the end. what i learned about electronics. some ppl just have bad luck with certain brands. dont know why just that way. ive seen ppl love tekin and hate castle cause of problems. or love castle but hate novak stuff.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Got my recievers today in the mail. Binded one up and put it in my stampede 4x4. Went out and tested it and all was well. Had good range and no noticeable problems. Hope it stays like this and doesn't go bad on me like a few others (knock on wood). I would recommend that anybody who plans on getting more recievers for their flysky buy in bulk, which isn't hard to do for the price.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have 7 bashing trucks 2 Flux HP 1 Flux XS 4 Merv's (For the grand children)plus a Baja 5B & 2 racing Losi 22t & Slash 2WD. I needed a less expensive route for the Bashing units. I have the FS GT2 FS GT3B & FS GT3C. I checked distance at Golf course with the Fly Sky GT3C and stopped at 600 yds, and yes I realize that is 1,800 feet. Big Squid got 1280 out of a Futaba. Of the seven Fly Sky receivers we have only had issues with one, light doesn't flash when binding but I noticed I had throttle, will futher test.
My point in all this is, Depending on your budget, Fly Sky is not something you would normally race (although for my skill level really not an issue at 58 years) but for wind, dust, mud and what ever else you can bash threw, they are are hard to pass up. A couple of these fly Sky's I have had now for a year and no transmitter issues. We have 7 transmitters total among 3 people.
My last point is I absolutely love this new Fly Sky GT3C, versatile, light weight, great look and feel. Both my 3b & 3c have the updated firmware.
And now for the BAD news, 20 minutes into my first use of the 3C it had problems and eventually failed completely. Turns out there is a design flaw due to the on off button is inside the steering wheel. I reasonably simple fix, I removed the wheel, re-soldered the little red wire (who makes that small of shrink wrap). The two guide tabs that channel the wire, in reality do the opposite and bind the wire causing it to separate at the solder point. so I trimmed of 3/8 inch of the right guide and no problems since.
One last point bout antenna wire, if I understood correctly the wire is coaxial to the metal and from the metal piece to the end 1.5" is the antenna. If the 1.5" of wire from the metal piece is altered and/or damaged it WILL effect the performance.

Last edited by Bobby K; 06-02-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Spelling and edit
Old 06-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bobby K
I have 7 bashing trucks 2 Flux HP 1 Flux XS 4 Merv's (For the grand children)plus a Baja 5B & 2 racing Losi 22t & Slash 2WD. I needed a less expensive route for the Bashing units. I have the FS GT2 FS GT3B & FS GT3C. I checked distance at Golf course with the Fly Sky GT3C and stopped at 600 yds, and yes I realize that is 1,800 feet. Big Squid got 1280 out of a Futaba. Of the seven Fly Sky receivers we have only had issues with one, light doesn't flash when binding but I noticed I had throttle, will futher test.
My point in all this is, Depending on your budget, Fly Sky is not something you would normally race (although for my skill level really not an issue at 58 years) but for wind, dust, mud and what ever else you can bash threw, they are are hard to pass up. A couple of these fly Sky's I have had now for a year and no transmitter issues. We have 7 transmitters total among 3 people.
My last point is I absolutely love this new Fly Sky GT3C, versatile, light weight, great look and feel. Both my 3b & 3c have the updated firmware.
And now for the BAD news, 20 minutes into my first use of the 3C it had problems and eventually failed completely. Turns out there is a design flaw due to the on off button is inside the steering wheel. I reasonably simple fix, I removed the wheel, re-soldered the little red wire (who makes that small of shrink wrap). The two guide tabs that channel the wire, in reality do the opposite and bind the wire causing it to separate at the solder point. so I trimmed of 3/8 inch of the right guide and no problems since.
One last point bout antenna wire, if I understood correctly the wire is coaxial to the metal and from the metal piece to the end 1.5" is the antenna. If the 1.5" of wire from the metal piece is altered and/or damaged it WILL effect the performance.

These were brand new recievers. The last part of the antenna was only touching a protective antenna tube or was touching nothing at all. Just seems like out of every recievers there are a few duds and a few ones that work really well.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Both the extra receivers I bought seemed to be duds but they exhibit the same problem the one that came with the radio which I ran without a BEC and let in a full 7.2 pack. Originally I thought it was receivers but now I think it's more likely the Radio itself.

I considered it might be interference since the Sand Scorcher is mostly metal, but laying it out on the carpet and running with servos in both channels produced the same result.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Antmax
Both the extra receivers I bought seemed to be duds but they exhibit the same problem the one that came with the radio which I ran without a BEC and let in a full 7.2 pack. Originally I thought it was receivers but now I think it's more likely the Radio itself.

I considered it might be interference since the Sand Scorcher is mostly metal, but laying it out on the carpet and running with servos in both channels produced the same result.
Not the transmitter. Finally got two recievers that actually work like they should. Seems i get a lot of glitching next to my house. I think it's getting interference from my router since they both use 2.4 ghz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.