Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
SCT - run two 1/12 scale 3.7v or two 7.4v shorty packs? >

SCT - run two 1/12 scale 3.7v or two 7.4v shorty packs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCT - run two 1/12 scale 3.7v or two 7.4v shorty packs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default SCT - run two 1/12 scale 3.7v or two 7.4v shorty packs?

I'm converting to saddles in my sc10 4x4 and want some above average punch.( I have some VERY fast guys to keep up with.) I am running club races in an intermediate class, but may move up to sportsman(which seems to have no rules at my track)

I'm looking at two battery options

1) running two 1/12 scale 3.7v batteries in series. (they are flatter than the standard sc10 saddle set up) I have found some in the 6400mah 60c range which would work. my concern is that these batteries may not handle the load of a heavier 4x4 and 4 pole motor. they just seem two light for their rating. (two of these come in at 298g where a 6400 60c stick pack is usually 320g or so.)

2) running two 7.4v shorty packs in parallel. I know these should kick butt. I just wonder why I dont see anyone running them.

and are either of these at all legal by roar rules and/or commonly accepted at local tracks. (since most local tracks seem to bend a lot of rules anyway)
Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1BlueTaco
I'm converting to saddles in my sc10 4x4 and want some above average punch.( I have some VERY fast guys to keep up with.) I am running club races in an intermediate class, but may move up to sportsman(which seems to have no rules at my track)

I'm looking at two battery options

1) running two 1/12 scale 3.7v batteries in series. (they are flatter than the standard sc10 saddle set up) I have found some in the 6400mah 60c range which would work. my concern is that these batteries may not handle the load of a heavier 4x4 and 4 pole motor. they just seem two light for their rating. (two of these come in at 298g where a 6400 60c stick pack is usually 320g or so.)

2) running two 7.4v shorty packs in parallel. I know these should kick butt. I just wonder why I dont see anyone running them.

and are either of these at all legal by roar rules and/or commonly accepted at local tracks. (since most local tracks seem to bend a lot of rules anyway)
Yes, both options are legal to my knowledge, and both should work equally well.

Option 1 will save you a few dollars and some weight in the car, typically a 1/12 car is asking a lot from the battery since they run on lower voltage they need the battery to be the best it can be and so there is less wire in the pack (also because they are not two cells wired togeather) which can account for some of the weight.

Option 2 will cost you a little on the weight side but will increase your run time since 2 4000 shorty packs in parallel will end up being 1 8000mah 2s lipo. I find that generally in off road the addition of some weight will improve driving ability since the car is more stuck, and running Mod (since most classes I know of for 4x4sct are mod) the weight shouldn't be an issue since you can just throw a little more motor at it to make up for it.

I know of a couple people that ran at local tracks with option 2
Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Champion

Don't think either would be ROAR legal, as the maximum battery dimensions would be exceeded.