Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

Hobbywing Xerun V3

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

hi i will be going bk into 13.5t boosted for the summer and was wandering what is a good setup fdr for a med to large track like aldershot and with hobbywing v3 and a gm motor (2012 new one )
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TryHard
No Problems. Even though the software is saying there is an update (it will take it up to USB link 3.2, from 3.1), best to manually download it from the site. So grab it off the site. The USB link software is the Version 3.2_121204 software

There is a bit of confusion on the naming convention, and whats what, but this is what you need;

USB Software - V3.2_121204 which includes;
LCD Program box - V1.11_120331_V3
ESC - V3.1_121129_Beta

Regards
Ed
All done thanks Ed, It will be interesting to see if I can notice any difference when I next race
Old 02-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I just bought a XERUN V3 ESC, it's been updated to the latest SW. I'm using it with a Schuur speed 4800kv 4 pole motor on a 4x4 SCT. After 5 laps, the car stops, the green LED blinking (overheat) but the ESC and motor are only at 40 C degree. Any suggestions?

btw, I'm using SCT profile.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had asked Ron to see if the hobbywing overheat protection would work with his motors but he never got back to me. I'm pretty sure the hobbywing esc and SchuurSpeed motors aren't on the same page with heat settings. I know I burnt up a SchuurSpeed with my xtreme stock. So I would turn the overheat protection off. I now run a V3 with a SchuurSpeed in my EDM and I have it turned off.

Roger
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lewis110
I had asked Ron to see if the hobbywing overheat protection would work with his motors but he never got back to me. I'm pretty sure the hobbywing esc and SchuurSpeed motors aren't on the same page with heat settings. I know I burnt up a SchuurSpeed with my xtreme stock. So I would turn the overheat protection off. I now run a V3 with a SchuurSpeed in my EDM and I have it turned off.

Roger
Thanks, I was thinking the same. Seems like the ESC thinks the motor is running hotter than it is. I'll try turning off the protection and monitor the motor temp.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

well turning off the temp protection helped with the ESC over temp cut off but now after a few laps, half way on straight away with full throttle, it loses power. I'm not sure what's going on, temps are normal.
So I put in my Tekin RX8 and no issues, I ran two packs and everything works great. Looks like something is going on with the XERUN V3
Old 02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Try turning your esc overheat and voltage cut off off. We never run those when running 4.0's in our TC's. never had a speedo overheat and as long as you time your runs so as not to run down your battery voltage too much, your batteries will be fine. The voltage cut off setting makes the esc do some weird stuff at times.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
Try turning your esc overheat and voltage cut off off. We never run those when running 4.0's in our TC's. never had a speedo overheat and as long as you time your runs so as not to run down your battery voltage too much, your batteries will be fine. The voltage cut off setting makes the esc do some weird stuff at times.
Already turned off the cut off, it not the voltage since this happens after couple of laps, the problem is not over heat, the motor is at 100F and ESC is at 90F.

Again, with Tekin RX8, running same motor and same battery and I have no issue.

Maybe SchuurSpeed 4800kv 4 pole motor is too much for XERUN V3.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think that very well could be the case. For example, the Tekin 4600 is considered like a 2.5 turn if I remember correctly. You are probably just running too much motor.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Tech Master

No offense dude, but thats bull crap. I know for a fact that the V3 was tested a lot before release, including a full hard run at last years TITC by a large number of drivers.

Without trying to sound rude, but more often than not, problems with the esc are down to user error, mostly by reverse connecting or overheating (I know this, as I have done it myself). Blaming these issues on the esc is a bit rich. I've heard of very very few issues with the esc itself from normal running, and by all accounts normally handled with quickly (again, also my experience).

From all the information out there, Hobbywing actually seems to have the most reliable product... lost count of the number of issues that have come to light with other well known manufacturers. Just look at a few of the competitors threads to see what I mean, you won't have to look far...

Ed
I am very careful with my ESCs. I am no newbie to this sport so I do know when to say no thank you when the line is crossed.

I agree that their support is great for some places but not where I am so thats farewell to the brand for me here.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Lesson learnt by me - if your speedo is behaving strangely - try to replace capacitor. It sorted out problems for me.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tcboy1983
hi i will be going bk into 13.5t boosted for the summer and was wandering what is a good setup fdr for a med to large track like aldershot and with hobbywing v3 and a gm motor (2012 new one )
Hi. I would start somewhere around 6.3fdr. That's what we generally use @ Cotswold in 13.5t boosted. I also use it @mendip too I'd suggest maybe asking on the Aldershot club forum to see what club members are running.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

Hey, hopefully you guys can help me.

I ordered and received a Hobbywing Xerun v2.1 120a 10.5t combo.
http://www.falconsekido.com/products/xerun-combo-x60

I started to get it ready for my car. I got everything soldered. I then set my neutral, full throttle and full brake. I thne tried to connect it to my program box, but it doesnt do anything. All it says in connecting ESC. That didn't work, so I tried to tune it by connecting to my PC, and that didn't work.

Can someone please help me out. I have tried every possible way to connect it with no luck. I plan on calling Hobbywing North America tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S
Hey, hopefully you guys can help me.

I ordered and received a Hobbywing Xerun v2.1 120a 10.5t combo.
http://www.falconsekido.com/products/xerun-combo-x60

I started to get it ready for my car. I got everything soldered. I then set my neutral, full throttle and full brake. I thne tried to connect it to my program box, but it doesnt do anything. All it says in connecting ESC. That didn't work, so I tried to tune it by connecting to my PC, and that didn't work.

Can someone please help me out. I have tried every possible way to connect it with no luck. I plan on calling Hobbywing North America tomorrow.
Make sure you are using the receiver wire thats plugged into the center port of the program box. Also when plugged in the metal tabs you can see on the plug should be facing up towards the screen.

What are you putting it in? If its a 1 cell car, you have to plug a 2 cell battery into the esc in order to use the program box.

Hope this helps
Roger
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Rookie

I think your not doing the calibration properly.
You need to turn your transmitter on (setting all values to 100% to get full calibration), then press and hold the button to get into the set mode. Then you'll hear the beep and flashing light.
Leave the throttle at neutral, press the button once and it should beep once. Now move the throttle to full forward, and press the button again. You should hear two beeps. Now move the throttle to full backward, and press the button again. This time you'll hear three beeps, and the motor should now respond to throttle inputs.
As far as I'm aware, all the latest firmwares are fine and work well on track.

Regards
Ed
Thx Ed for your kind reply, it turned out that i had a problem with the receiver wirings, and that prevented to carry on the calibration phase....

BTW, does someone know about the wireless dongle that shoud connect to the ESC and thus being able to program the ESC by smartphone/tables ? i remeber reading something about this but it's been some time...

best regards,
Fab

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.