Best radio?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default Best radio?

I currently use a JR R-1 (FM radio) with Crystals. It's old, but it works. If I wanted to upgrade, what is currently THE BEST radio system on the market? Price not being a concern at this point. I was looking at KO Eurus Ex-10, but would like some opinions.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:12 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Highly subjective question....

But, cost no object, I would call the Futaba 4PKS "the best". There is no feature you could probably ever even think of, let alone actually need, that the Futaba doesn't already have.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Highly subjective question....

But, cost no object, I would call the Futaba 4PKS "the best". There is no feature you could probably ever even think of, let alone actually need, that the Futaba doesn't already have.
Hey Mark, i was thinking about grabbing a 4PKS, i don't see others at my local tracks running them but i always like to be different! So you would say this is a good radio comparable to radiopost, KO and Airtronics?

Thanks
Daryl
Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
So you would say this is a good radio comparable to radiopost, KO and Airtronics?
One word answer; absolutely.

To expand:
The Radiopost stuff is newer to the market and I haven't personally seen anyone described as a "fast guy" using one so I can't really comment.
The Airtronics stuff is generally quality but I've seen a few threads on here related to people unhappy with the repair/tech support since they changed importers a little while ago.
KO's stuff is known for quality as well but, at least by me, there's only one or two people using one so in that case, those racers are the ones that are "different" and that can be good or bad. It's bad if you have a question about a feature and nobody has any idea what you're talking about. It's good if you like being the guy that is different.

When combining the 4PKS, the 4PL and 3PMX, Futaba generally makes up about 60% of the radios in use at my local track and they're all highly proven, quality products. If you want to spend $500 on a radio, I would put it towards the Futaba 4PKS. If you want to spend less, the 4PL has the same feel, still more features than you'll ever use, and Futaba's quality for $220.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Fastest response: Airtronics/Sanwa M11X or MT-4. No other radios come close.

I recently bought an MT-4. I would recommend it to anyone. All the features of an M11X but without the size and weight. It also does telemetry. Costs around $270

Futaba and KO are okay, but way overpriced and several times slower response than Airtronics
Old 03-29-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

ANY of the high end "fast" radios are more than fast enough for anyone. If Airtronics is the so called "King of fast", so be it, however, I've never heard anyone running any of the high end 2.4 radios claim that they wished that their radio was faster . . . . . .
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Many people don't realize how slow their radios are until they use one that is faster. It makes a huge difference in how connected you feel to the car when every input you give transfers to the car instantaneously.

I only race on-road, so maybe it doesn't matter as much in off-road. I don't know. I know I would never go back to a slower radio though.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go for those 3 brands either Ko Propo, Airtronics m11X or the futaba but i prefer the M11X which i also have right now.
But please don't take a spectrum !
Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrGidi123 View Post
Go for those 3 brands either Ko Propo, Airtronics m11X or the futaba but i prefer the M11X which i also have right now.
But please don't take a spectrum !
agreed on the spektrum!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

One word answer; absolutely.

To expand:
The Radiopost stuff is newer to the market and I haven't personally seen anyone described as a "fast guy" using one so I can't really comment.
The Airtronics stuff is generally quality but I've seen a few threads on here related to people unhappy with the repair/tech support since they changed importers a little while ago.
KO's stuff is known for quality as well but, at least by me, there's only one or two people using one so in that case, those racers are the ones that are "different" and that can be good or bad. It's bad if you have a question about a feature and nobody has any idea what you're talking about. It's good if you like being the guy that is different.

When combining the 4PKS, the 4PL and 3PMX, Futaba generally makes up about 60% of the radios in use at my local track and they're all highly proven, quality products. If you want to spend $500 on a radio, I would put it towards the Futaba 4PKS. If you want to spend less, the 4PL has the same feel, still more features than you'll ever use, and Futaba's quality for $220.
thanks for the breakdown..... i asked because i can get the 4pks over 3 payments from towerhobbie!!! i think I'm going to or grab the pl and some extra receivers....question does the pl receivers work with the pas?

thanks
Daryl
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
thanks for the breakdown..... i asked because i can get the 4pks over 3 payments from towerhobbie!!! i think I'm going to or grab the pl and some extra receivers....question does the pl receivers work with the pas?

thanks
Daryl
The PK uses Futaba's FAAST system, the PL uses FHSS. FHSS has a frame rate in the 6ms range, FAAST in the 4ms range so they're both quicker than human perception but not cross compatible.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

The PK uses Futaba's FAAST system, the PL uses FHSS. FHSS has a frame rate in the 6ms range, FAAST in the 4ms range so they're both quicker than human perception but not cross compatible.
got it!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the help guys.

I like the Futaba radio and may go with the $220 model. I don't really see the benefit of the full-featured $500 model unless you're doing something really complex and high-risk (i.e. 1/8 on-road) or something like that.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Master

Price was no object for me and I chose the MT-4. Held every radio I could, 4pks, 4pl, 3pks, M11x, MT-4, a few RadioPost, all the Spektrums, and even a few FlySkys.

4pks - Liked the feel in my hand, felt good, but not great.
4pl - Did not like the feel or look
3pks - Horribly balanced
M11x - felt great, but not well balanced
MT4 - felt great, loved the balance
RadioPost- Also felt great, but not sure about longevity since they're fairly new, and they look goofy as hell.
Spektrums- felt like garbage all around
FlySky- Felt pretty good, decent balance

Out of all of those the Airtronics and Radiopost units were at the top of my list. I weighed the pros and cons of each including price and the hands-down winner was the MT-4. I've since fitted it with a tennis raquet over-grip and adjusted all the settings to my liking and it feels like an extension of my body. Car does exactly what I want, when I want it to. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and as a bonus I got the deal with 2 telemetry receivers. I just don't think there is a better all-around radio on the market than the MT-4, at any price point.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've been using a Futaba 4PL for about a year and I haven't had 1 problem with it. Its been a great radio. Also you can buy more receivers for round $40if you have more then 1 car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service