R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Tech Addict
 
KDagh1's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 520
Send a message via AIM to KDagh1 Send a message via MSN to KDagh1
Default Best radio?

I currently use a JR R-1 (FM radio) with Crystals. It's old, but it works. If I wanted to upgrade, what is currently THE BEST radio system on the market? Price not being a concern at this point. I was looking at KO Eurus Ex-10, but would like some opinions.

Thanks!
KDagh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,048
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Highly subjective question....

But, cost no object, I would call the Futaba 4PKS "the best". There is no feature you could probably ever even think of, let alone actually need, that the Futaba doesn't already have.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #3
Tech Master
 
BlackStarRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miramar, Florida
Posts: 1,786
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
Highly subjective question....

But, cost no object, I would call the Futaba 4PKS "the best". There is no feature you could probably ever even think of, let alone actually need, that the Futaba doesn't already have.
Hey Mark, i was thinking about grabbing a 4PKS, i don't see others at my local tracks running them but i always like to be different! So you would say this is a good radio comparable to radiopost, KO and Airtronics?

Thanks
Daryl
__________________
☆ Daryl Boston | TeamBlackStarRacing |
☆ TLR | Hot Bodies | Hobbywing | Savox | MT4S | AKA | Avid |
☆ TLR 22 2.0 MM | HB D413 | Schumacher K1|
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Moderator
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,048
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
So you would say this is a good radio comparable to radiopost, KO and Airtronics?
One word answer; absolutely.

To expand:
The Radiopost stuff is newer to the market and I haven't personally seen anyone described as a "fast guy" using one so I can't really comment.
The Airtronics stuff is generally quality but I've seen a few threads on here related to people unhappy with the repair/tech support since they changed importers a little while ago.
KO's stuff is known for quality as well but, at least by me, there's only one or two people using one so in that case, those racers are the ones that are "different" and that can be good or bad. It's bad if you have a question about a feature and nobody has any idea what you're talking about. It's good if you like being the guy that is different.

When combining the 4PKS, the 4PL and 3PMX, Futaba generally makes up about 60% of the radios in use at my local track and they're all highly proven, quality products. If you want to spend $500 on a radio, I would put it towards the Futaba 4PKS. If you want to spend less, the 4PL has the same feel, still more features than you'll ever use, and Futaba's quality for $220.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Fastest response: Airtronics/Sanwa M11X or MT-4. No other radios come close.

I recently bought an MT-4. I would recommend it to anyone. All the features of an M11X but without the size and weight. It also does telemetry. Costs around $270

Futaba and KO are okay, but way overpriced and several times slower response than Airtronics
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic
 
King DORK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 917
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

ANY of the high end "fast" radios are more than fast enough for anyone. If Airtronics is the so called "King of fast", so be it, however, I've never heard anyone running any of the high end 2.4 radios claim that they wished that their radio was faster . . . . . .
__________________
B5M Lite, Centro CT4.2, Tekno SCT410.3, Losi 22-4 (RC Shox-ified), Losi Comp Crawler, Losi MRC Pro Gatekeeper, Super Clodbuster
Proud father of my boys Kevin, Brandon, Dylan, and my dogs Kaelee, Bella Roo, and Wilbur. Thank you to my only sponsor, my beautiful wife!
King DORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Many people don't realize how slow their radios are until they use one that is faster. It makes a huge difference in how connected you feel to the car when every input you give transfers to the car instantaneously.

I only race on-road, so maybe it doesn't matter as much in off-road. I don't know. I know I would never go back to a slower radio though.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
MrGidi123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 157
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Go for those 3 brands either Ko Propo, Airtronics m11X or the futaba but i prefer the M11X which i also have right now.
But please don't take a spectrum !
MrGidi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Tech Master
 
BlackStarRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miramar, Florida
Posts: 1,786
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGidi123 View Post
Go for those 3 brands either Ko Propo, Airtronics m11X or the futaba but i prefer the M11X which i also have right now.
But please don't take a spectrum !
agreed on the spektrum!
__________________
☆ Daryl Boston | TeamBlackStarRacing |
☆ TLR | Hot Bodies | Hobbywing | Savox | MT4S | AKA | Avid |
☆ TLR 22 2.0 MM | HB D413 | Schumacher K1|
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Tech Master
 
BlackStarRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miramar, Florida
Posts: 1,786
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
One word answer; absolutely.

To expand:
The Radiopost stuff is newer to the market and I haven't personally seen anyone described as a "fast guy" using one so I can't really comment.
The Airtronics stuff is generally quality but I've seen a few threads on here related to people unhappy with the repair/tech support since they changed importers a little while ago.
KO's stuff is known for quality as well but, at least by me, there's only one or two people using one so in that case, those racers are the ones that are "different" and that can be good or bad. It's bad if you have a question about a feature and nobody has any idea what you're talking about. It's good if you like being the guy that is different.

When combining the 4PKS, the 4PL and 3PMX, Futaba generally makes up about 60% of the radios in use at my local track and they're all highly proven, quality products. If you want to spend $500 on a radio, I would put it towards the Futaba 4PKS. If you want to spend less, the 4PL has the same feel, still more features than you'll ever use, and Futaba's quality for $220.
thanks for the breakdown..... i asked because i can get the 4pks over 3 payments from towerhobbie!!! i think I'm going to or grab the pl and some extra receivers....question does the pl receivers work with the pas?

thanks
Daryl
__________________
☆ Daryl Boston | TeamBlackStarRacing |
☆ TLR | Hot Bodies | Hobbywing | Savox | MT4S | AKA | Avid |
☆ TLR 22 2.0 MM | HB D413 | Schumacher K1|
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Moderator
 
MarkA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Corvallis, OR
Posts: 9,048
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStarRacing View Post
thanks for the breakdown..... i asked because i can get the 4pks over 3 payments from towerhobbie!!! i think I'm going to or grab the pl and some extra receivers....question does the pl receivers work with the pas?

thanks
Daryl
The PK uses Futaba's FAAST system, the PL uses FHSS. FHSS has a frame rate in the 6ms range, FAAST in the 4ms range so they're both quicker than human perception but not cross compatible.
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
BlackStarRacing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miramar, Florida
Posts: 1,786
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA View Post
The PK uses Futaba's FAAST system, the PL uses FHSS. FHSS has a frame rate in the 6ms range, FAAST in the 4ms range so they're both quicker than human perception but not cross compatible.
got it!
__________________
☆ Daryl Boston | TeamBlackStarRacing |
☆ TLR | Hot Bodies | Hobbywing | Savox | MT4S | AKA | Avid |
☆ TLR 22 2.0 MM | HB D413 | Schumacher K1|
☆ Coral Springs RC Track | Mills Pond RC Track | South Florida|
BlackStarRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #13
Tech Addict
 
KDagh1's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 520
Send a message via AIM to KDagh1 Send a message via MSN to KDagh1
Default

Thanks for all the help guys.

I like the Futaba radio and may go with the $220 model. I don't really see the benefit of the full-featured $500 model unless you're doing something really complex and high-risk (i.e. 1/8 on-road) or something like that.
KDagh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The 561
Posts: 1,025
Default

Price was no object for me and I chose the MT-4. Held every radio I could, 4pks, 4pl, 3pks, M11x, MT-4, a few RadioPost, all the Spektrums, and even a few FlySkys.

4pks - Liked the feel in my hand, felt good, but not great.
4pl - Did not like the feel or look
3pks - Horribly balanced
M11x - felt great, but not well balanced
MT4 - felt great, loved the balance
RadioPost- Also felt great, but not sure about longevity since they're fairly new, and they look goofy as hell.
Spektrums- felt like garbage all around
FlySky- Felt pretty good, decent balance

Out of all of those the Airtronics and Radiopost units were at the top of my list. I weighed the pros and cons of each including price and the hands-down winner was the MT-4. I've since fitted it with a tennis raquet over-grip and adjusted all the settings to my liking and it feels like an extension of my body. Car does exactly what I want, when I want it to. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and as a bonus I got the deal with 2 telemetry receivers. I just don't think there is a better all-around radio on the market than the MT-4, at any price point.
__________________
My buggy kisses more pipe than a porn star.

What I lack in skill and grace I more than make up for with cunning and treachery.

http://www.CoralSpringsRCTrack.com
Hinecken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Tech Adept
 
Slash'em1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pecatonica, IL
Posts: 226
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I've been using a Futaba 4PL for about a year and I haven't had 1 problem with it. Its been a great radio. Also you can buy more receivers for round $40if you have more then 1 car.
__________________
Team Durango DEX210
Team Associated SC10
Team Assoicated B44
Slash'em1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Radio chestnutjazz Rookie Zone 30 12-16-2011 02:53 PM
Best radio for racing DX2S or AIRTRONICS SANWA MX-3X? Auskenny Radio and Electronics 10 10-10-2010 06:05 PM
Whats better FM or 2.4GHz Radios? and what is the best radio? TIX Nitro Off-Road 50 03-16-2009 09:02 PM
BEST RADIO UNDER $400 SND Radio and Electronics 43 06-23-2008 07:36 PM
Best Radio for Nitro CArs?? fritzD Nitro On-Road 49 12-10-2006 10:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:50 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net