R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Radio and Electronics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics-137/)
-   -   Spektrum reciever brown-outs, any other option other than caps? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-electronics/611749-spektrum-reciever-brown-outs-any-other-option-other-than-caps.html)

aradaiel 03-22-2012 05:08 PM

Spektrum reciever brown-outs, any other option other than caps?

I run Spektrum sr3500 recievers, Tekin RS and I'm trying to run a savox servo.

As long as I use a servo other than the savox everything is happy. With the Savox I can't even run for 30 seconds before it browns out and reboots the ESC.

I've tried one cap, two caps, one huge cap, two huge caps and nothing.

At idle this thing browns out my reciever.

Is there anything out there to fix this, other than a BEC?

Looks like I'm going to have to spend a lot of money on a hitec 7940

Savox servos I've tried are sc1257tg and sc1267sg

I'm not ditching the spektrum or the Tekin for other reasons.

In all fairness, if I do ditch the Tekin ESC for a speedpassion I don't have issues.

KO PROPO Staff 03-22-2012 05:54 PM

If your Savox servo is a high voltage servo, you can use our 7.4V adjuster.
This will bypass getting power from your receiver and use the voltage from your 2S Lipo to power your servo.

You have to disconnect your battery to turn off the servo and can only be used with high voltage servos. You can see images of the harness and how it hooks up here. This goes in between your servo lead and the receiver so it is reversible and you don't have to hack up your servo lead.

crusey_aus 03-22-2012 10:25 PM

Just run an external bec and be done with it, only downside is the $25 it costs

ESC will run cooler and you will be protected against an internal bec failure

Cheers

Maxthepersonz 03-23-2012 07:06 AM

I think KO (above) would agree but just buy a KO radio or even an Airtronics. For real there both super reliable high quality and you don't get any short outs ever. I did have to use 1 cap with futaba fasst but none with AIR or KO... Sell the Spektrum :D

aradaiel 03-23-2012 08:53 PM

I use a KO radio with a spektrum module. $200 for a ko 2.4 module and reciver is crazy in my opinion.

I only run 1/10 electric, I don't run reciever batteries.

aradaiel 03-23-2012 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by crusey_aus (Post 10505001)
Just run an external bec and be done with it, only downside is the $25 it costs

ESC will run cooler and you will be protected against an internal bec failure

Cheers

BEC is out of the question. I don't want the weight or the extra wires.

porterdog 03-23-2012 08:54 PM

Castle BEC.

aradaiel 03-23-2012 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by KO PROPO Staff (Post 10503791)
If your Savox servo is a high voltage servo, you can use our 7.4V adjuster.
This will bypass getting power from your receiver and use the voltage from your 2S Lipo to power your servo.

You have to disconnect your battery to turn off the servo and can only be used with high voltage servos. You can see images of the harness and how it hooks up here. This goes in between your servo lead and the receiver so it is reversible and you don't have to hack up your servo lead.

Wow, that might work after reading about it a bit more. I'll have to give it a try.

aradaiel 03-23-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by porterdog (Post 10508723)
Castle BEC.

I have no desire for a BEC. Seriously.

AreCee 03-23-2012 09:09 PM

Then ditch the Savox servo and get a low torque replacement. That should solve your brownouts without resorting to a BEC or cap.

aradaiel 03-24-2012 08:24 AM

I'm going to go to the hobby store and make an adapter like KOsupport posted out of a servo extension and try that.

I'll report back with results.

I've got a couple reasons I don't want to ditch the savox servo.

#1 would be cost, the comparable hitec I'd want is $150 new. (vs $90 for the savox)

#2 is HRP is local to me, so warranty is cake and no-hassle.

aradaiel 03-24-2012 06:02 PM

I made a harness as per the KO harness.

Everything works fine except the servo twitches very badly under braking, almost uncontrollable. I tried putting a cap on the servo supply and found that it still does it. Looks like I can't run the savox servos, afterall. :(

AreCee 03-24-2012 06:57 PM

So the Spektrum cap for $5 solved my brown out issues with Savox servos. Funny thing is that I have stonger servos other than Savox which do not cause brown outs.

Agreed that you can save money with them but is it worth the hassle?

jwmustang 08-11-2012 05:24 AM

I thought you said a cap did not work? If it does not your problem is the Tekin has a faulty BEC. I and many others have had the same problem with RX8. Only option is send it in for repair or get an external BEC.

btrukr 09-21-2012 06:00 PM

servo/rec brown out

There's an indepth article about these issue's in the AMA monthly. One of the Helio guys got tired of his 600 coming out of the air. I've had issues with JR 9100s and Tekin RSpro, I've gone too an external bec and it's real quick, stable and glitch free. This is a cheap insureance policy for not burning the on board BEC as I burnt my older RSpro up because the servo's were running are pulling 5-7 amps to stop and start. Since the esc is only designed to provide 3amps, were shorting the main board in the esc. It gets real pricey and real agravating as I broke the truck too. Chris