Wiki Posts
Search

Airtronics older FM/AM receivers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Airtronics older FM/AM receivers

How much voltage is it safe to run through them? I know there's different models but the ones I am talking about are like the ones that would come with a m11 or m8...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxthepersonz
How much voltage is it safe to run through them? I know there's different models but the ones I am talking about are like the ones that would come with a m11 or m8...
6.0 was the most anyone would ever push through those.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarkA
6.0 was the most anyone would ever push through those.
Cool. But isnt a fully charged receiver pack more than that?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The old 5cell reciever packs may have peaked fresh off the charger a bit above exactly 6.0 but it was not sustained high voltage like the lipo ones today.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

What can I do to run a higher voltage? Or 7.4 to one of these receivers? Does any company make a 7.4 capable fm receiver that will work with airtronics?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

What can I do to run a higher voltage? Or 7.4 to one of these receivers? Does any company make a 7.4 capable fm receiver that will work with airtronics?
Safe to assume you want the higher voltage for the servo? If so one option is separating the power sources for the servo and receiver.

For a 2S 1/10 scale electric, perhaps power the high voltage servo directly from the main lipo. Leave the receiver on the ESCs internal BEC. Other option is an external adjustable BEC for the servo (more complex, but safer in case you might throw in 3S for a speed run). Adjust the BEC as desired for the servo.

For anything above 2S, say 1/8 electric, use an external adjustable BEC for the servo.

Use or rig up something like this to hook up the servo:

High voltage Servo Connector

For a nitro, go the other way, use an external BEC for the receiver. Wouldn’t need to be adjustable or very big, very little power consumption.

Another option for all would be using a diode setup to drop the voltage for the receiver. The voltage wouldn't be as well regulated, but would probably work OK. Probably cleaner power than a switching BEC as far as noise and ripple and such.

Must always avoid mixing the 2 power sources/voltage levels.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Champion

Or perhaps find one of these:

Tekin FM Receiver
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave H
Safe to assume you want the higher voltage for the servo? If so one option is separating the power sources for the servo and receiver.

For a 2S 1/10 scale electric, perhaps power the high voltage servo directly from the main lipo. Leave the receiver on the ESCs internal BEC. Other option is an external adjustable BEC for the servo (more complex, but safer in case you might throw in 3S for a speed run). Adjust the BEC as desired for the servo.

For anything above 2S, say 1/8 electric, use an external adjustable BEC for the servo.

Use or rig up something like this to hook up the servo:

High voltage Servo Connector

For a nitro, go the other way, use an external BEC for the receiver. Wouldn’t need to be adjustable or very big, very little power consumption.

Another option for all would be using a diode setup to drop the voltage for the receiver. The voltage wouldn't be as well regulated, but would probably work OK. Probably cleaner power than a switching BEC as far as noise and ripple and such.

Must always avoid mixing the 2 power sources/voltage levels.
Wont you still end up smacking over 6.0v into the receiver by doing all of these options? Witch in this case it cannot handle. except the diode idea, that may be a little hard though.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave H
Or perhaps find one of these:

Tekin FM Receiver
Didnt see this before the last post. Perfect. Thank you.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Tech Champion

Didnt see this before the last post. Perfect. Thank you.
Certainly the cleanest way, if you can find one. I used the AM job back when, worked great, still does even. In one of my Vintage cars now.

Wont you still end up smacking over 6.0v into the receiver by doing all of these options? Witch in this case it cannot handle. except the diode idea, that may be a little hard though.
No. The trick is in the connections, can be a little complex, have to consider ground, etc. Can help if needed.

Good luck!