Wiki Posts
Search

HW EZrun 60a/5.5T combo help !! red flashing light

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HW EZrun 60a/5.5T combo help !! red flashing light

I recently purchased the EZrun 60a combo with 5.5T motor and program card (my first brushless system)

The problem is that after running with it the motor slows down and soon stops, i picked up the car and the esc gives a red flashing light no beeps.
If i turn it off and on again it works for about 1min or so and it starts to cut again
Once i use a fully charged battery it works fine until the battery gets around 3.8v
Could it be the LVC (low voltage cut off) which i set to 3.2v but when i checked the battery it shows around 3.8v
or
could it be the gearing as the motor gets quite hot (no fan for the motor)

all the connections/wires are fine

The car is a TA05 V.2 stock gearing 70T spur 20T pinion
Etronix 2.4ghz
batteries used are a 4000 2s 35c lipo & 5000 2s 40c lipo

Thanks in advance

Alex
Old 01-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

alex it sounds as if you are over geared.The red blinking light is showing it is in thermal protecton mode.I recomend the first step is to get a temp gun ..you want to keep the motor in the 130-140* range at the 5 minute mark.I would go up a few teeth on the spur to leave room to go down on the pinion to keep a decent gearing window open..
Old 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The EZRun uses a flashing green light to indicate thermal shutdown, but it only protects the ESC and not the motor as it is a sensorless system. It does sound as if you are overgeared if the motor is getting too hot, but the ESC will not shut down because of it. A 5.5T motor will run pretty hot anyways, but it is a good idea to know how hot so you do not overheat it and ruin the motor. What he said above is a good idea for the the temp and gearing.

The flashing red light indicates voltage cutoff. The reason you see 3.8V in each cell when the cutoff is set to 3.2V is because the voltage is lower under a load. The ESC only has to sense 3.2V for two seconds to activate the cutoff, and then it will slow and stop even if the voltage climbs back up. When you reset it and try again it only takes about a minute or less for the voltage to dip back to 3.2V under load. You can decrease the cutoff setting, but it is best to only run lipos to 80% of their capacity anyways. Check your charger and find out how much mah you put back in after a full run, if it is less than 80% of the capacity you can lower it some for longer runtimes.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the advice as i thought i mite have got a defective esc !!

What FDR is suitable for the 5.5T motor as atm im at stock FDR which is 7.19:1

What kind of spur/pinion gear i should use

Last edited by alex_evo; 01-29-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Alex I am not familiar enough with your car to make exact gearing recommendations. The best approach is to know the exact temp you are hitting so you can change gearing accordingly. I would simply drop a few pinion sizes and run it while checking temp every few minutes.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

OK thats sounds fair enough, thanks for the advice really appreticate the help here !!!