Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
SPEKTRUM DX3C Steering Spring break! >

SPEKTRUM DX3C Steering Spring break!

SPEKTRUM DX3C Steering Spring break!

Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Angry SPEKTRUM DX3C Steering Spring break!

Was racing in my 2nd. heat when my 2 month old DX3c steering spring broke on my radio. Heard it go "ping", tried to finish the race, of course came in last...... Coming off the stand one guy said his DX3C had just done the same thing 3 weeks ago? Another pit guy in the pits offered to take the radio apart right there to see if he could fix it. Trouble is, you'd have to destroy all the decals to get at the screws to open it up and most likely find out that it couldn't be properly repaired......... Then you have a hacked radio and no warranty. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Did you send it back to horizon?. How long did it take to get it fixed?
tia
Mike
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Wow!
Lucky me, I guess I'm the only one with problems? Figures.....
Mike
Old 01-24-2012, 01:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Just shipped it back. We'll see how long it takes to get it back to me.........
Old 01-24-2012, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I had this happen on a DX3.0 that I used to use. I just took the transmitter apart and bent a new hook into the existing spring an re-hooked it to plastic case. Haven't used that particular radio in a while, but I ran it like that for at least a year an it never broke again.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

I have done the fix on super cheap radios like $35 and under and it is pretty easy. Were the decals over screw holes or just over the seams of the two halves of the radio? If they were over the holes, they will probalby come back with holes cut in them. If they were over seams, they were probably cut down the seam with a small sharp knife (very hard to notice unless you are trying to notice the cut). With a radio of that price, I would send it in (even though you already have). After the warranty, I would totally do it then and there if it happens again. Sounds to me like there is a little to much plastic being taken off or the mold for that part wasnt getting all the way full at the factory causing this defect in the radios.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Happens to a lot of 'em. This is how you fix it (takes about 5 minutes, start to finish):

Originally Posted by lappdawg27 View Post
...took the transmitter apart and bent a new hook into the existing spring an re-hooked it to plastic case.
Won't happen again if you fix it like this. The machine that winds the spring and bends the hook loop leaves a stress mark, and that's where they break.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Guys Thanks for the reply's. Yeah, I knew it could have been getto-fixed, if all it was, was just the spring perch. As I mentioned, another racer had his broke, and it just so happened to have 2 of these radios, one he uses as a spare (not happy with the range) so he salvaged the spring, as that is what had broke. He said the spring snapped?! Because theres still 9 more months warranty, I'd though I'b bite the bullet and send it in? I had a Futaba that this happened to, getto-fixed, got another 6 months out of it, then sent it in when it broke again.
Mike
Old 01-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I just had the same thing happen to my DX3C minutes ago! I was getting ready to go out and all of a sudden I heard something snap inside and the steering wheel lost tension. I'm not sure if the warranty is still valid, because I bought it from someone else last September. Would HH still be able to help me out? Should I contact the person I bought it from to get their date of purchase or receipt info? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
I just had the same thing happen to my DX3C minutes ago! I was getting ready to go out and all of a sudden I heard something snap inside and the steering wheel lost tension. I'm not sure if the warranty is still valid, because I bought it from someone else last September. Would HH still be able to help me out? Should I contact the person I bought it from to get their date of purchase or receipt info? Thanks!
Likely as not, you're screwed and it'll cost you full price to have it shipped and fixed.

Trust yourself, or find someone you trust, and open it and fix it. Takes longer to read this thread than it does to fix the spring.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Likely as not, you're screwed and it'll cost you full price to have it shipped and fixed.

Trust yourself, or find someone you trust, and open it and fix it. Takes longer to read this thread than it does to fix the spring.
Actually, I just finished fixing it myself! Just took some patience to take everything apart carefully and put it back. I was able to bend a new hook just with my fingers. Now I bet the other hook will break off haha

I also noticed the spring tension screw was backed all the way out, which stretched the spring to the max. I loosened that too.

And here's my new wheel!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Just got an email from Horizon, it's fixed, and it's on it's way!
I'd be nice if I got it for Friday......
Mike
Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Well, just got it back. Quite pleased with Horizon, did a great job of repairs , shipping an expidited return. You have to figure the logistics of sending it through two different countries Customs/inspection (shipped from Canada). So all in all, quite stoked! Kudo's to Horizon!
Mike ;>)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Rookie

I just wanted to chime in and say that I used one of the springs out of my old Mini-T AM transmitter. The result is a more stiff wheel as the Losi transmitter used a slightly smaller spring. The result is fantastic, much better than before. Nice, tight steering, I like it.

Since this has worked so well, I kept the other spring from the old transmitter. I was thinking of doing the same with the throttle spring but I'll probably wait until if/when the original breaks.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mracer1 View Post
Well, just got it back. Quite pleased with Horizon, did a great job of repairs , shipping an expidited return. You have to figure the logistics of sending it through two different countries Customs/inspection (shipped from Canada). So all in all, quite stoked! Kudo's to Horizon!
Mike ;>)
Glad you got it back and working. Hope it lasts!

Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that I used one of the springs out of my old Mini-T AM transmitter. The result is a more stiff wheel as the Losi transmitter used a slightly smaller spring. The result is fantastic, much better than before. Nice, tight steering, I like it.

Since this has worked so well, I kept the other spring from the old transmitter. I was thinking of doing the same with the throttle spring but I'll probably wait until if/when the original breaks.
Isn't there a common saying, "don't fix it if it ain't broke." lol Glad to hear the replacement is working.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Tech Master

My buddy had the same thing happen to his DX3C in the middle of a race a few weeks ago. He sent it in and they just sent him a brand new radio w/ reciever and everything. Crappy situation, but great customer service!
Sounds like a pretty common issue with these.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service