Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Radio and Electronics
is it safe to charge a 5000Mah Lipo Overnight? >

is it safe to charge a 5000Mah Lipo Overnight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is it safe to charge a 5000Mah Lipo Overnight?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default is it safe to charge a 5000Mah Lipo Overnight?

I'm on a budget and was wondering if I can get a small inexpensive Lipo charger (0.75 Amps) to charge a 7.4v 5000 Mah 2S 30C Lipo.
Is it safe to charge such a battery with these slow chargers?:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...alance-Charger

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...t-LiPo-Charger

I guess I could leave it on all night, would it be ok? what happens if the batteries already have 50-80% charge prior to charging, would there be any risk?
Old 01-16-2012, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

0.75 amps will charge a 5000mah sized pack in 7 hours

Lipos should never be left on a charger unattended, bad idea

Get a decent charger

Cheers
Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rufus2000
I guess I could leave it on all night, would it be ok? what happens if the batteries already have 50-80% charge prior to charging, would there be any risk?

Hard to find any info on those two chargers...one of them says "fully automatic" and the other has a "charge finished" light....which COULD mean that they will stop charging once it reaches full capacity....but would you stake your home and loved ones on "might"?

I don't even let my LRP Competition Touch charge anything when I'm not around, and that charger without a power supply is worth nearly $300.... As safe as Lipo has become, it's only as safe as the people using them...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for your quick reply,
guess I won't get those after all...

for something cheap then I might get some Nimh batteries and an overnight charger then!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Tech Adept

hi there.
yes it is BUT you need a charger with ACTIVE charge process and intelligent enough to detect any pack faults and change its charging conditions.......i beleieve there is only out there that can do that?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Oh fooey!

Take the proper precautions as far as ensuring that IF you ever have a catastrophic failure, there will be little to no risk of collateral damage.

I dont own these chargers, but I do have some that are very similar and could be made in the same factory. They charge each cell individually, meaning you get the security that neither cell is going to get out of whack enough to cause a problem. These are especially good for trouble packs which will not balance on the discharge type balancers built into most chargers, which is why I keep them around even though I own a few decent chargers.

I believe Lipo maintenance is very easy compared to Nimh. If you treat them with respect and learn to properly handle them, it is a very rewarding experience and you will wonder what took yourself so long.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by burnineyes
Oh fooey!

Take the proper precautions as far as ensuring that IF you ever have a catastrophic failure, there will be little to no risk of collateral damage.

I dont own these chargers, but I do have some that are very similar and could be made in the same factory. They charge each cell individually, meaning you get the security that neither cell is going to get out of whack enough to cause a problem. These are especially good for trouble packs which will not balance on the discharge type balancers built into most chargers, which is why I keep them around even though I own a few decent chargers.

I believe Lipo maintenance is very easy compared to Nimh. If you treat them with respect and learn to properly handle them, it is a very rewarding experience and you will wonder what took yourself so long.

...hi there. Yes agree you need to treat with respect and they'll work well.
Most of the chargers out there are passive but take a look at REVOLECTRIX (Not made in China)